M203 launchers

Bear

Alright, I've decided on the ICS M16 pattern rifle. I would like to eventually make a separate upper receiver for this rifle complete with a traditional M203, and would like to know if there is anything that I should consider when doing so. For strength, I figure that it should be a metal upper(if its a sport line) with a one piece barrel set up. Thoughts? Other things to consider?

edited for grammar

Edited by Bear

You might want a metal upper, but if you want a traditional grenade launcher you'll be attaching the launcher to the barrel. A word of advice, if you get a barrel mounted M203 (the traditional kind), you should be patient with it and be prepared to do some modifications for it to fit. I spent several days modding a G&P M203 to fit a KWA and only finally got it to work properly. Also, try to test one out before you buy it, so you know how easy/difficult it is to mount, if possible. Additionally, be prepared for it to wiggle a little when mounted.

good to know. I planned on the metal upper so that the extra weight on the barrel would be supported, and hopefully eliminate stress on the front of the upper receiver. I will be going with a traditional mounted m203, because i like how it looks in comparison to RIS mounted launchers. I'm not afraid of making a few mods to make something work.

Excellent. Important to note...

ICS is not very good with aftermarket accessories. Many of its external parts are proprietary. Make sure you take a close look at your delta ring and the back end of the launcher to make sure they are compatible (some delta rings, like TM's are not traditional). If possible, get an ICS launcher (not sure if they make these in barrel mounted or not). The most important feature to hold on the GL is the forward barrel nut, which ultimately holds the launcher on. This needs to be a very tight fit for the launcher to hold properly.

Make sure the grenadier thing is for you, I have found it is really not worth the expense and weight on the rifle unless you are willing to get 4-5

plus grenades and give the care they need.

I have used an ICS rail mounted launcher for years, I got a deal of kapowwe. Given the chance to redo, I would of gotten a higher quality brand instead (G&P/CA)