Catching Replica "mags"

Alvy

I'm sure many of you are aware of this, but some of you may not be. I didn't see this posted anywhere else so I'd like to share with everyone something I received. I bought some new MAG Midcaps for my SR16 from AirsoftGI, and they sent this with it. It's a good informative paper on catching replica MAG Midcaps that pose to be the same thing as these:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=1604

The replicas I must say are awful, because I found out I purchased them from someone after selling them off for new ones and then finding this out. Here's how to catch the fake replicas, which really blow at feeding and fitting properly.

photo11_zpsdf447d4e.jpg

photo12_zps76877d15.jpg

The most obvious thing to me was the BB stopper. On the replicas it is noticeably shittier first of all, and secondly it is much, much thinner than the real one. Anyways, there you go! Beware and don't end up like I did with some overpriced, crappy replica MAGs!

• Upvote 5

Evike was bad about selling the replicas and passing them off as the MAG ones, buyer beware of ordering MAG brand mags from Evike. I bough an 8 pack used from someone and... Yep, theyre replicas :/

Thanks for the info Alvy and Eagle.

Great post Alvy. I had no idea that someone was making replica mags of replica mags! :lol:

"Yo dawg, I heard you like replicas..."

• Upvote 1

Evike was bad about selling the replicas and passing them off as the MAG ones, buyer beware of ordering MAG brand mags from Evike. I bough an 8 pack used from someone and... Yep, theyre replicas :/

If your talking about the ones you bought from me, I'm sincerely sorry I had no idea man. Those were from Airsoftgi, so I'd watch out there as well guys.

holy shit, well done my friend. now i know why my MAG mids suck so much ass, they are replicas. the followers look exactly like the ones that are replicas. I got mine brand new from Evike as well, so very good catch.

If your talking about the ones you bought from me, I'm sincerely sorry I had no idea man. Those were from Airsoftgi, so I'd watch out there as well guys.

Its no worries man! I dont mind, I know you had no idea.

So I have been running replicas all these years......interesting.

On a side note, the replicas are durable. Every time they stopped feeding, I would remove the mag from the gun, smack it hard against a tree (or other solid object within reach) and then reinsert, and good to go again. Granted after four years of beating the tar out of my mags in this manor they now look like hell, but, hey, they still work for the most part. I've only ever actually broken three of them doing this as well.

On a side note, the replicas are durable. Every time they stopped feeding, I would remove the mag from the gun, smack it hard against a tree (or other solid object within reach) and then reinsert, and good to go again. Granted after four years of beating the tar out of my mags in this manor they now look like hell, but, hey, they still work for the most part. I've only ever actually broken three of them doing this as well.

quite guilty of doing this as well hahah

I actually got mine from AirsoftGI, and they were the ones that included this sheet. I ordered MAG Mids from them about 4 years ago too, and they were the real ones. But back then, I didn't get this sheet with my purchase. My guess is somewhere in between they were buying the replicas and were possibly unaware of it.

You dont happen to know if this also applies to MAG brand AK mags do you? I was thinking about picking up some extra midcaps on the cheap to use as loaners. But now I might rething my choice in brand.

~Joker

You dont happen to know if this also applies to MAG brand AK mags do you? I was thinking about picking up some extra midcaps on the cheap to use as loaners. But now I might rething my choice in brand.

~Joker

No idea. I doubt it, but it could just be a matter of time until they come up with copies for those as well.

Has there been any actual confirmation of this from MAG? Because I looked back into my oldest MAG mids and they're apparently replicas I purchased in December of 09.

I had a thought regarding this. If it is commonplace for AEG manufacturers to contract out to other companies to make their products, why wouldn't it be any different for airsoft accessory manufacturers? Maybe MAG contracted someone to make these magazines, but obviously they didn't oversee quality control.

Was gonna sell an 8 pack here myself!

Guess I will sell them somewhere else now. Lmfao

Glad I read this before I looked like a asshole. . :D

• Upvote 1

Was gonna sell an 8 pack here myself!

Guess I will sell them somewhere else now. Lmfao

Glad I read this before I looked like a asshole. . :D

That's the thing though, I wouldn't put stock into this being a major issue yet. I've got some of the "replica" mags that are over 3 years old that work just fine.

• Upvote 1

AirsoftGI sent it with the mags saying they recently found this out and wanted to warn buyers.

Did it say anything about what to do when you find you have replica mags? Because they sold me replicas. lmfao

• Upvote 2