Impact Noob Day 4/25/2015

jj999125

So being my first official Indiana airsoft game, it definitely was a very sour one. 

My Opinion: overall i had fun slinging hundreds upon hundreds of bbs at people with my mk.46. But overall the sour attitude of everyone else killed it. i had a great 6-10 kill spray, being in the right place at just the right time. The weather could have been better, having my BDU's soaked within a few minutes wasnt great but i came prepared with another jacket with better water-proofing. kinda a meh overall

My Teams opinion: straight up half of them are not ever going to another Indiana even, specifically that field. (they are not open minded about anything)

i think everyone just had pitifully sour attitudes and definitely should have called their hits.

the barbed wire SUCKED. when your walking along and get caught in a 10ft section of barbed wire hooked into every freaking space possible on your BDUs, you kind of stop dead in your tracks and spend 20 minutes untangling yourself to get back to the action. 

The hill on the house side needs a better boundary set, after me and my friend were holding that area got bitched at be some butthurt almighty being that cant feel bbs hitting them. we kindly withdrew from our position, only to have THE EXACT SAME SPOT taked by the same person.

too many people probably showed up thinking they would have easy fights with a bunch of unskilled players. and when their respawns were limited, their magical bb protection shield grew stronger!

people problems moslty, and barbed wire (too milsim), and dead batteries.

This was my first actual experience with the community, and even with the weather I had an enjoyable time.

My gear was a wreck, mostly my own fault. I always had my bags parked right near the edge of a tent where water was draining. (Thank you, providers of tents for giving us the gift of not completely soaked gear! )

Pros:

- I got to meet people from the community!

- Had the opportunity to stress test my gear, which held up quite well.

- Got a chance at a nice AEG and helped repair the field with my ticket.

- Was taught tips by veteran players, which I greatly appreciate.

Cons:

- Weather (Nobody is at fault for this one)

- Some people weren't call hits as the game progressed! this isn't the EO's fault. Note to others: It shows poor sportsmanship and doesn't do good to your reputation by cheating.

Personal:

- My goggles ended up with rain getting through the filters, resulting in streaks that made it hard to distinguish foliage from foe

- I'm quite nervous about rust, considering my cases ended up keeping the rifles in a small pool the entire time home.

- Skipped the last two rounds and ended up freezing while packing bags. I should have brought more food, along with heat packs.

- I got attacked by vines, the tendrils are responsible for mud in my flash hider.

- I can't wait to see the field in it's repaired state, and hopefully next time we will have better weather.

- The entire landscape seemed to change as the game progressed, the amount of mud was pretty insane. Slipping or dropping gear became a concern.

- Running full force through thorn bushes and not getting cut (some of us thought we were hit, actually) was pretty terrifying. I don't know if this is a pro or a con, it was pretty interesting to deal with, just like the weather.

Edited by ProPainTank

First. Thanks to Joker for hosting noob day again.

I want to bring up what noob day is really about.

Yes, it's a day for the new players to the community to come out and meet one another as well as some of the vets, but more importantly, it's for the vets to see what kind of player is coming into the community.

As one of those vets I can honestly say that this new group of players needs to learn something about integrity. Guys, this is a sport/hobby, and because we don't mark ourselves up with paint, we use honor to let someone know they got a good shot on us. To many times yesterday I not only heard, but also witnessed players not calling thier hits.

My gun is super quiet, I have a scope so I can zoom in on you. When I'm at long range, and put a 3 round burst into you, and you don't call it, and I did it multiple times to you and your friends, I remeber who you are.

I saw this happening so many times yesterday, on both sides, and the only thing I can say is: grow up. Be man enough to accept your hit, and go back to respawn. Not sure that you were hit? Call yourself out, go back to respawn. Think you will loose some foothold for your team by calling hit, and having to leave the area....oh well. Play with honor, or don't play.

So many of us vets have taken to playing privately, and we only invite honorable, hit calling players to those games, on the awesome private fields, that you will never see because of your actions at this moment.

Change your ways, not only for your honor, but to make the game better for everyone else.

• Upvote 1

Had a great time even though it was raining. Had plenty of laughs. I knew hit calling would be an issue going in to Noob day. The name of the event says it all. Sorry I missed the guy in the bandana screaming they drew first blood with his 6-10 spray kill.

Sooooooooooo. That was a thing.

Some pro's

1. Got to meet some new faces. Always a plus.

2. Got to see some old faces. Always-mostly-somewhat-depending-on-the-day-but-it-was-this-time a plus. :P 

3. New launcher. I have a sickness, methinks.

4. My gear has mostly dried out, and still functions. Woo.

Not so pro's

1. First and foremost, rain. Holy blah rain. As I am sitting here, typing up this AAR, it is 60 and sunny.  :mad:

2. Hit calling. As Fox had mentioned, noob day. We knew the risks when we signed up.

3. After the rain, wind. Cold, cold wind.

4. Did I mention the sheer amount of wet?

5. The Circus has this tendency to bottleneck at certain areas, and just cease all kinds of movement. Especially if one side is an immovable object. Just sayin'

6. 0/6 was my kill/death ratio. And not from a lack of trying.

My 0.02, and take it as such.  

1st noob day 1st game back in the season. Had a good game at joker's and i showed up way to early. Got to see guys ive played with before.  Now i know why they call it noob day. Noobs acting like noobs we were all like them once.

Pros- love the field kinda felt like a vietnam senerio, got kills and no fogging on googles, meet alot of people

Cons- rain con and pro hard to determine if your hit, people not caling hits, gun miss feeding or not at all mags fault and need to put upgrade inner barrel , the drive there, and running out of mags needed to see how many mags to bring for games 

Overall- had fun happy the torns blocked a guys shots he almost got me and my pistol prevalled. Called my hits even if it was a ran drop. 

That being said call your hits even if you think your not and have fun its a game not real life. Be better prepared myself lol. 

Thanks- joker, all that attened and all that played fair.

Well what can I say.. Another Newb day is in the Books.   

So all and all I always enjoy myself.. Didnt play to much mainly because I was trying to keep the games going and just observe the gameplay.

So Pros.

1. Turnout..  I think I we counted around 70 players.  I mean for Cold Soaking Rain Indiana day this is a amazing turnout.

2.  Good attitudes from players all around.

3.  Always... getting to see new and old players alike.  

Cons.

1.  Honor (or lack there of).  Seen many players not calling hit.. now givin this is newb day weather played a big roll in feeling hits for new players. But I also seen way to much just plain old unhonerable play.

2.  The Cold rain..  But big thanks to everyone who braved the wet with me while Breifing was happening.

3.  Did I mention that damn Rain.

All and all I had fun.. Met some great new players and got to hang out with some old ones.  This was a newb day so some newbish behaivior is to be expected.  But I have big concerns for the future of our comunity if the lack of honor continues.  How can we fix this.  Well we all need time to teach and learn ourselves and rather then being mad about it.. Take a player aside and talk to them.  Teach them that game and how honor plays a roll.  Todays generation was raised differnt then most of us older players.  Airsoft is a great sport and its up to us to teach todays instant gratification everyone wins attitudes that being a honerable person goes a very long way in more then just the game.

Looking forward to may pew pew in my near future.  And seeing all my new and old friends on the field again.

Positive experience, hit calling was an expected issue but when people didn't call my pop shots on them, I gave a dose of auto bursts, that did the trick. Ended up with an unbelievable k/d. (25+/5) Rain was bad during briefing but under the canopy of the woods it just added a nice element to the game. I think my first hit on myself was actually a raindrop on my hat but I wasn't sure so I just took it. Wouldn't mind coming back again, I enjoyed the field.

You guys act like it was raining or something?

Considering the downpour started right before we started briefing and the longer than normal registration process due to rain and raffle tickets and it did not stop raining until hours after we were done, we had a good turnout. I could not believe 70 players showed up. Now after about the first hour and a half and we did the raffle a lot of players left.

I believe there were more noobs than vets at this game.

Before we started we made it perfectly clear that if you had questions or issues on the field to tell me and I would handle them. Instead I overheard dozens of players on both sides complain of hit calling issues. Only about 4 players said anything to me directly and gave me an idea of where they were on the field or who they were.

Another issue I am noticing that is becoming a trend is the lets call it illusion of players not calling hits. I'm honestly not sure what's to blame here (video games maybe?) but these are Airsoft guns. It was also raining all day and at some points pretty hard. This field at times can be very thick. Just because you point your gun at someone and shoot does not mean they are being hit. And how could you "see the BBs bouncing off of them" when you can't even tell what your MED is? Or the "But I saw them flinch so I must have hit them" well that makes sense but it's also possible you missed but your shots were close and it scared them so they moved and readjusted their position.

I know a lot of you were new to the game, just know that it's not like playing a video game. You can't just point and shoot and and expect to hit someone behind cover just because you were close or you can see them. These are not real firearms, it's Airsoft, not always the most accurate especially in the rain. If a vet player says he hit you chances are he did otherwise they wouldn't say anything.

I walked around all day. Didn't get to play at all (which is normal and to be expected when hosting) and I only saw one real instance of no hit calling and it was towards the end of the day. More often than not you think you were hitting them but you were not. Good example, I saw a couple guys with sniper rifles hide behind a downed tree and hold off about a dozen guys for a while, they had some very close calls while I was behind them watching but once they were actually hit they immediately called it and headed back to respawn.

If you think you may have been hit call it. When it doubt call out. It's a small field so the spawn points are always close by. If you think you are hitting someone and they are not calling it then keep shooting, sooner or later they will call it. Or find and EO and tell them. Don't be afraid to let your teammates or friends know when they have been hit. Complaining online after the event won't fix the issue, handling it in person on the field is how these issues get resolved.

I think the raffle was a hit. I only wish I could have gotten more things. For those that don't know I bought 8 M4 midcaps and a G&G M4 AEG with my own money to raffle off.

My younger brother was in attendance. He played a small game at the end of last year. He started playing shortly after IMPACT was founded and played for about 8 years before he stopped for several years. He brought a friend along and I think my brother wants to be more active again and I think his friend is now hooked.

As I mentioned before the game the field has seen better days. But building/fixing things is not cheap nor easy to do alone. Hopefully I can remedy that this year thanks to the raffle and donations.

I do wish the weather would have cooperated but I do plan these things several months in advance. You know how IN weather is...

It didn't get as muddy as I thought it would honestly. I'm glad I didn't mow the staging area like I had planned. Considering it rained all day, there is a creek in the middle of the field, 70 players running around, only the main trails were bad.

After event foods was also great as usual, thanks guys.

Shout out to Amazonwoman, not only were you the only female playing but you played honorably and you were relentless. You refused to give up and kept pushing forward. Well done.

I would like to thank everyone that showed up. Thanks to those who brought the tents and easy ups for everyone to use. And thank you to those who showed up with a positive attitude and an open mind. I hope some of the new players learned a thing or two.

I had about as much fun as an event host could. I had to run around like a chicken with my head cut off, get completely soaked and then not get to do the fun parts of shooting people like you do. Do you want to host next time? ;)

~Joker

• Upvote 1

Had a great time as always. Thanks Joker and the rest of I.M.P.A.C.T. for noob day.  I know it gives a lot of kids the opportunity to learn and get a positive start in this sport. Hope you keep it up

pros:  Old friends and meeting new ones, shooting as always.

cons:  rain ,unappreciative fucks that apparently don't know what it takes to host a event and bitch instead of helping the community. just a few but it pisses me off to no end.

Even though I was soaked and cold during the briefing, (and starting to wonder if this was a bad idea) once we got rolling the weather wasn't as big a factor as I thought it might be.  Of course, it didn't help with the range and accuracy of my aeg but so goes it.  It was kind of fun dealing with the mud.

Thanks to Joker and I.M.P.A.C.T. for putting this on.  On one hand it was good that so many people showed up (I mean the idea of a Noob day is to get a lot of new players involved) on the other hand, that many players on that size of field made it difficult to maneuver and contributed to some pretty static skirmishing, but that's just what it was.  At least I didn't have to dig a WW1 trench. :D

Plus side, I met some other players.  I've only been playing for 1 1/2 years so I'm pretty much a noob myself.  I lent my AK105 to another player and he was able to enjoy it even though I think I blew the gearbox on my M4 halfway through the day. :blink:   So there's that.

Overall, I had a good time and didn't have any problems with people calling hits although I heard a lot of yelling about it.  Maybe it was just the weather making everyone a bit grouchy?  

One thing I noticed that I think could have been avoided: I saw some players strolling along the street (Curry Pike) with uncovered rifles in plain view of the general public.  Very bad idea.  Joker and other posters made it clear that was a no go.  

Otherwise, it was a good day and I hope to be back in action at V.B.R. in early May.

Redline

I had about as much fun as an event host could. I had to run around like a chicken with my head cut off, get completely soaked and then not get to do the fun parts of shooting people like you do. Do you want to host next time? ;)

~Joker

You do a good job, Joker. Don't let us think any other way. Thank you for putting up with us.  :D

Further, I have some crazy ideas that I would like to run by you. Get your advice on. Maybe host a game or so. Let you get some trigger time in.

And since I was hazy at best in my initial post, I did have fun. I always have fun. I will be back, and I will still try and bring noobs with me. Even when they have lamesauce excuse after another. Such is the way of the noob.

And for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I called out on a heavy raindrop. Anything is possible.

Until next time  :frantics:

And for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I called out on a heavy raindrop. Anything is possible.

:

I overheard a couple others say the same thing haha. I have done this a time or two myself. Those heavy raindrops get you every time.

~Joker

I did not attend, but I wanted to add some thing. If you called your self on what you think was a rain drop, it will be an honor (on my behalf) to play with people with this much honor, respect, and love for this sport. My hat is off you you gents...

Thanks so much to Joker for hosting this event. I had an amazing time despite the weather. The field was amazing, I had no idea what it was going to be like and I was pleasantly surprised. My favorite part of the day was getting some face time with people from the community.

As a sort of new person to the community it makes me extremely happy to be a member. I met some genuinely awesome people and hope that my impression on people was relatively good. I can't tell you how excited i am to go to another event.

The guys I came with all left early because we had a three hour drive back home. It in no way had anything to do with us having a bad time. We all shared the same opinion that the next event can't come soon enough.

Pros: great field

Great people

Great time

Cons: weather (why God?)

Some unsportsmanlike conduct (although i kind of understand that there are limitations to the weapons we have, but i did bring it up to Joker once to make sure they were playing fair. And if they were, great!)

The drive was a con, but it was worth it.

10/10 would drive again.

• 2 months later...