Hi-cap mag fixes?

Moo

Does anyone out there know how to repair a hi-cap mag that won't keep tension on the spring? Specifically an MP5 hi-cap. Either my buddy or I wound the damn thing too tight and now it'll only feed a couple rounds before unwinding. After opening the thing up I checked to make sure all the gears still move and they do so I'm at a loss.

I've had this problem with my M4 mags. Hopefully, the MP5 mags are similar to the M4 mags.

1. Take apart your mag. It should look similar to this:

840031e2.jpg

6c2ba293.jpg

2. You should see the winding spring encased in a circular box. On the outside of the box, (mine is to the left) you should see a spool coiled around a short bump (Pointed out):

693c6840.jpg

Remove the spool. Make sure the ends are straight. If they are bent, you will have to buy a new one. They have them at hardware stores in various sizes and strengths. You can try bending it to make it straight, but after a while that will not hold.

b9ed7e8d.jpg

If the ends of the spool are not bent, take of the cap of the winding spring and make sure it is fully connected to the winding gear:

5c8b6e0b.jpg

I hope this helps!

Edited by Dawson
  • Upvote 1

If the magazine is winding and then unwinding it typically (95 percent of the time) means there aren't enough bb's in the high cap to keep tension. If this isn't the case, then dawson is right, the tension spring is either broken or missing.

After taking it apart to check the afore mentioned things, I noticed one of the pins holding a gear was a bit loose causing the gear to slip off the connecting gears. I pushed it back in so that the gear had little wiggle room and now I can use 90% of the rounds on one wind. Works better than when I first got it so it must have been a manufacturing goof.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Edited by Moo