Sign in to follow this  
Joker

Covid-19 & Airsoft

Joker

So we are more than halfway through 2020 and several months into dealing with and navigating through the Coronavirus. Despite how you feel about this particular subject, we have all been affected by it in one way or another. I think we all know the many instances this is affecting our daily lives but I’d like to discuss this from an Airsoft perspective. 

We have already seen the affect Covid-19 can have on businesses when they force them to close. This of course hits small businesses the hardest and that includes Airsoft. How do you think things like limiting public gathering numbers, social distancing, mask mandates, and so on will affect Airsoft going forward? How do you think this will affect the bigger airsoft event hosts and their ability to get AOs or host events with hundreds of players? Do you think this is our new normal or do you see this slowly going away at some point? 

Just trying to get a discussion going here plus I’m genuinely curious as to how everyone thinks this will affect Airsoft. 

~Joker 

Dexy
Posted (edited)

I'm still a strong believer of when you play during this pandemic to have some kind of mask. (Shemaugh, balaclava, or mask) Prep areas should have the ability for social distancing for the people who are and aren't comfortable with the 6ft apart ordeal. But all in all if you're comfortable with being out in public and you take the precautions seriously in my opinion it shouldn't truly effect going out and having fun. 

Edited by Dexy

hrturner

Interesting topic Joker... Was really bummed when most of this hit as I finally had the free-time to get involved again and then virus....

Agree to a certain amount with Dexy. Just take precautions. If you're feeling sick don't go to the game. Outdoor events would likely be safer than indoor/close quarter/indoor events? Do see the limited seating at places causing the traditional post-event meals from being a little bit harder to accomplish though!

Imagine that once a vaccine comes out most everything will return to normal with people now planning for how to handle a situation like this again, but with more seriousness this time around (or at least I hope with more seriousness).

Comrade Holland
Posted (edited)

I'm hosting a party at my place this weekend, you're all invited. We're all going to plat Twister and watch Big Trouble In Little China.

Left foot RED

Edited by Comrade Holland

Hanback

No lie, its been a weird year. Arguably polar opposite of last year. This years farming season has been insanely good (disregarding crop prices) which have kept most farms buzzing non-stop, so lack of games due to COVID has gone hand in hand with lack of time to play here on my end. Lack of games means lack of tech work to do, which has freed additional time for me to actually put the new airsoft shop together as well, and i've taken my time to do it right.

That said, it certainly is not a good year for businesses, and I am happy I am far removed from the actual true business side of airsoft. It will be hard for small stores and shops that located in leased space with employees to pay to survive/bounce back. That said, it really is our job to support these shops as opposed to the big chains (ASGI, ASM, Evike, etc). Not that they big guys aren't hurting, but if they have a solid foundation and business plan, they will be fine. Its the small ones that need the love. I challenge everyone to source from the small providers for the next few months, even if it is a few bucks more, because ultimately they are the ones that are here for the benefit of the sport, not just to profit from it.

From what I have seen, regardless of beliefs of the virus which are best kept to ones self, the attempts at "social distancing" I have seen at the few games I attended were nothing shy of laughable at best. A 6 foot separation, one at a time check-in line followed by a butt-humping, "100 person orgy" chrono line.....yup makes perfect sense. Either don't do it, or do it 100%, the in between achieves nothing except to slow the process down, make everyone mad, and make places look pretty stupid in the eyes of the rest of the world.

For the small games ive been to at local properties (no money paid no money made) there has been zero change in SOPs and its been nice. But, its hasn't been open to the public with Wesley the "coughing running nose brat" running around touching everything either. Give and a take I guess.