Where does an RPK end?

Bear

Here's a philosophical question for you guys, especially those of you setting up event rules.  When doing custom work, when does an RPK stop being an RPK?

So, the major differences between an airsoft ak and rpk seems to be the longer barrel, clubfoot stock and bipod.  All this adds up to a heavier weapon than a standard rifle.  Does losing one change it's status?  Or will the addition of other items that will replace the lost weight make up for it? 

My current plan is to ditch the bipod, add some custom heat shielding and SRUs hmu kit, and try to scifi up the gun a lot more to match my Mandalorian kit. Originally I thought to chainsaw grip it, but that's going a little too far I think.

This is the smallest legitimate support weapon possible:

D8Uq59J.png

7rJeFYr.jpg

As you can see, this has every major feature of a support weapon-- heavier barrel, integrated bipod, reinforced receiver, advanced rear sight w/ windage adjustment, heavy-duty handguards, and the ability to accept high-capacity magazines (IRL.)

Anything less than this is low-effort bullshit and moreover just an AK mascarading as an RPK.

Edit: I'm wondering if we can go shorter. Integrated front sight & gas block assembly would allow you to shorten the barrel, looks like you have at least an inch before the bipod interferes with a drum and/or 40rnder (you don't want to fuck with a bb-gun drum anyway)

Edited by Comrade Holland

I mean, I could get really stupid with it,  but I want to be able to use it at more than just open play games lol. 

12 hours ago, Bear said:

I mean, I could get really stupid with it,  but I want to be able to use it at more than just open play games lol. 

I think this is your limit. I would imagine that any game that will limit support weapons based on the above mentioned traits aren't gonna allow a support weapon in an SRU kit lol

The specific sru kit I'm referencing is a laser unit based on the movie Elysium that bolts to the top of the barrel/ front site.  The gun will still be the same length, but I've since changed my mind about the sru kit, as I don't think it'll fit correctly due to the barrel length.  I do want to do something different with the stock, just not sure what will fit.   

https://www.sru-precision.com/product-page/sru-hma-kit-laser

Edited by Bear

• 1 month later...

Your question has basically been answered here already. In real steel there are a lot of differences between an AK and an RPK or any rifle and support weapon for that matter. But in regards to airsoft specifically you pretty much nailed it with the stock, bipod, longer barrel and drum mag. As far as whether or not you will be able to use said support weapon in MilSim type events if you don't have one or more of those features I think would depend on the event and its hosts. For me personally I'm not going to get too caught up on all of that and I would probably let it slide even if I was hosting a MilSim. Some players want to slap a drum mag on their HPA ARP9 or whatever just so they can spray and pray and not have to reload very often. I would just check with the EOs before you attend said event or bring a backup weapon just in case they tell you no. Actually a backup is a good idea anyways. Years ago a player asked if he could use a Shotgun (I think it was one of those 8mm ones) and he had the EOs okay, long story short day of the event came and they changed their mind and said no go. 

The Elysium AK was pretty awesome looking to be honest. 

~Joker