Communal Airsoft Game Idea

Comrade Holland

Had this idea today and I thought I'd see if anyone else would be interested.... Basically, we'd choose a single day, at a single field and have three to five different groups/teams each host a 1 - 2 hour long scenario there.

Ideally, the whole event would have a unified ruleset. One group/team would sign up for, say, the 9-10AM slot. They would be solely responsible for creating and running that hour long scenario. A totally different group/team would sign up for the 10:30-12:30PM slot. They would be solely responsible for creating and running that two hour long scenario... etc. etc.

No single group would have the burden of planning an entire day's worth of games. We could bring in smaller groups that have never hosted a major event to give them a taste of running their own game. Attendance would probably be excellent since you'd have several teams directly involved, and I imagine micro-scenarios like this could be pretty unique, since you're farming out the creative talent to multiple teams/groups.

This might be good at bringing together the AI community... or it might incite y'all to loathe your neighbors for their godawful logistical skills, idk. It seems like it would be pretty cool if it worked.

Edited by Comrade Holland
  • Like 1

I see the merit in this idea. My only worry is that groups would just do a standard TDM for their slot. It'd be a solid event if you could ensure that each group does something interesting to keep variety throughout the day.

Bob's Burgers did something like this - an episode where every like 4-5min was done by a different animator

This was pretty much what Joker did at the last game we hosted at mutual combat.    Started planning months ahead...  No one joined in and ended up just being an impact game in the end.  

Getting the players/hosts to commit and actually follow through is easier said than done. But I do like the idea and I agree that it could be lots of fun. I especially like the part about getting new hosts involved. Maybe you could even have themed slots so when you pick a time slot you also know roughly what types of scenarios to plan. That way you don’t have everybody doing TDM or accidentally doing the same things over and over. 

~Joker