Redline

TM Hi Capa or KJW KP08

Posted (edited)

After many hours of research and consideration I'm on the verge of buying a Tokyo Marui Hi Capa.  It would be my first TM gun but not my first GBB.  I have owned a KWA M9 PTP.  I currently have an ASG M9 oem'd by KJW.  I put a Maple Leaf Crazy Jet barrel and Maple Leaf 60 bucking in it, also a Madbull compensator to give it the Leon Professional look.

I have been looking for something lightweight, reliable, with a high ammo count, and accurate to use in CQB or in the field as a secondary.   A hi capa is an obvious choice and lots of reviews have weeded out WE, although they seem to be hit or miss on quality.  I have also considered the KJW KP08, which is $35 cheaper than a TM Hi Capa.  

My question is whether the TM is truly worth it and would I have to replace the plastic slide right away?  I plan on running it on propane with silicone added.  I'm not a speedsofter and don't plan on blinging it with anodized parts.  I mean, that's cool if you like it, but I want function first.

Any help from experienced gbb techs/players is appreciated.

Edited by Redline

Hell yeah, a GBB thread i can actually provide quality info on.

I've always used a TM M9 as my sidearm and let me tell you, the extra $35 is WORTH IT. I've owned two of their Tac Master M9s and always ran them on propane. The first one i bought from Eagle back in 2011. It was very used, i'm thinking it was at least a few years old at that point. Part of the slide did break off during firing once, but it didn't affect the function at all. I'm thinking that i might have hit the slide or something which caused it to crack in that area. I used that M9 from then all the way up until early last summer when i bought a new one to replace it, and man, that thing is a baller. It's stock range and accuracy is consistent with friends' upgraded Glocks that i've compared it to. That extra $35 is really saving you money if you planned on doing performance upgrades. You are also going to get that TM build quality that really is as good as everyone raves it to be.

Will you need to replace the slide? I wouldn't count on it. It's just the experience i had, but my first TM was used by me for 7ish years, and the only damage it suffered didn't even affect the performance. Just don't go installing harder recoil springs or using CO2 down the road lol.

One tip that i find pretty beneficial: Don't add silicone to your propane. If you are good at working with your hands, break the gun down and lubricate the appropriate parts with a quality grease. When you add silicone to the propane, the silicone travels where ever the propane travels, meaning your hop up that requires friction to work properly is going to start getting oily and lose its effectiveness. Your barrel will also start to get oily which promotes the collection of dirt and dust inside it.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the feedback.  This has clinched it for me, TM it is.  

I appreciate the tip.  I had always wondered if it was more detrimental to the bucking/barrel to add silicone to the propellant.  So, basically if I do regular maintenance on the gun I don't need to add silicone to the propane.  The only advice I had found was, if you're going to use propane (which is way cheaper than green gas) you have to add silicone.

Which leads to the next question, I've been using rubbing alcohol to clean out the barrel bucking, is that okay to use?

Thanks again.

No problem man!

Nope, no need to add silicone. The idea is that adding silicone to the propane will get the oil to all of the seals inside the gun, which isn't false, but if you just lubricate the seals yourself, you accomplish the same thing without compromising other parts if the gun. 

Rubbing alcohol is fine for the barrel but bad for the bucking. It dries out rubber, so if you need to clean it just use warm water and soap