HelsinkiTorpedo

Is Organized Airsoft In Indiana A Thing Of The Past?

HelsinkiTorpedo

Not to rain on the parade, traffic hasn't really changed much believe it or not! Number of discussions has increased though. The forum really hasn't ever seen a low in quantity of traffic only in the amount of new discussion. Still bad, yes but acting like the forum was alone and abandoned is mis-leading, lol.

What stops them from starting new topics? Serious question. I'm trying to get a pulse on the people in the sport these days.

The post limits are easily changed but no one has wanted to have a discussion and propose ideas on how to combat spam without hampering legitimate people posting abilities. It's been merely a lot of complaining. Again, I'm all for correcting issues but we have to look at it from both sides. If we drop the post requirement, how to we combat spam? Believe me it will come back and it's not difficult to write things that crawl the Internet (I've done many non-malicious ones; mainly looking for memes. *Purely for academic reasons..... :lol: )

To your first point, I should have clarified that I was talking about discussion. It doesn't really matter how many people visit the forum if nobody's talking: that just makes it look like the forum has been abandoned. I've noticed an uptick in discussion.

As for people starting new topics, you're right, we can do that. I'm not in favor of necro-posting. I've started several of them, and the first one sat dead for at least a few days before anybody replied to it (not counting my intro post). That's part of what lead me to start this topic, actually.

I'm not sure a good solution to combat spam. I'm not a tech guy. Just a thought though: what about a post threshold that triggers a notification for review of an account? What about a reduced post count requirement before allowing free posting? Or an increase in permitted posts per day until out of the probationary period? I'll have 9 more posts before I hit 25 posts after this reply, and this is the final reply I can make until 1840 tomorrow.  

I know for me, the post limit and the slower activity on the forum (making it harder to reach the 25 posts) have been a bit discouraging. I'll obviously stick it out, but I can imagine that plenty of people haven't, you know?

hrturner

To your first point, I should have clarified that I was talking about discussion. It doesn't really matter how many people visit the forum if nobody's talking: that just makes it look like the forum has been abandoned. I've noticed an uptick in discussion.

Oh it's very important and extremely naive to write it off. Just because people aren't talking, doesn't mean there isn't value from the content on the forums. I'd go into a huge diatribe about this and the ADD society we live in today but it's not the place, :lol:

I'm not sure a good solution to combat spam. I'm not a tech guy. Just a thought though: what about a post threshold that triggers a notification for review of an account? What about a reduced post count requirement before allowing free posting? Or an increase in permitted posts per day until out of the probationary period? I'll have 9 more posts before I hit 25 posts after this reply, and this is the final reply I can make until 1840 tomorrow.  

See, now this is useful conversation... Obviously needs more than you and I discussing it but solutions go a lot further than complaints! The restriction was predominately put in place to keep folks from hopping on and then just posting in everything they could as many of the post from new folks fall into several issues but the main points are: They generally don't read the forum rules so the post stuff they shouldn't, they didn't search before starting a new topic, or they posted but didn't add anything of value to the thread (sounds mean but let's be honest it happens).

- Personally still see value in a restriction of some kind before "free posting"

- Raising the per day posts is pretty simple; Lowering the number of required is also simple

-- Not sure which of these would be the better/smarter approach. Personally would lean towards the later but definitely a good community conversation

- Probationary period can also be a day trigger as well but I'd have to check on this. In other words same restrictions still apply but after 25 post or XX days you get free posting rights.

I know for me, the post limit and the slower activity on the forum (making it harder to reach the 25 posts) have been a bit discouraging. I'll obviously stick it out, but I can imagine that plenty of people haven't, you know?

Eh spring is a slow time in the community normally anyways... Things usually pick up around now ( which you noted is currently happening... :lol:).

HelsinkiTorpedo

Oh it's very important and extremely naive to write it off. Just because people aren't talking, doesn't mean there isn't value from the content on the forums. I'd go into a huge diatribe about this and the ADD society we live in today but it's not the place, :lol:

I mean, the content can be there, but if it's not recent the forum does look dead. I've revisited the old IAA forum, and it's still got content, but obviously it's just archival. My point is that a community with low activity can make it difficult to want to participate in that community.

See, now this is useful conversation... Obviously needs more than you and I discussing it but solutions go a lot further than complaints! The restriction was predominately put in place to keep folks from hopping on and then just posting in everything they could as many of the post from new folks fall into several issues but the main points are: They generally don't read the forum rules so the post stuff they shouldn't, they didn't search before starting a new topic, or they posted but didn't add anything of value to the thread (sounds mean but let's be honest it happens).

- Personally still see value in a restriction of some kind before "free posting"

- Raising the per day posts is pretty simple; Lowering the number of required is also simple

-- Not sure which of these would be the better/smarter approach. Personally would lean towards the later but definitely a good community conversation

- Probationary period can also be a day trigger as well but I'd have to check on this. In other words same restrictions still apply but after 25 post or XX days you get free posting rights.

I think the concern with this would be that a bot could be programmed to wait the time limit before it started posting, but it could be possible that the criteria is something like "free posting after X days, as long as the account has some posting activity during the probationary period". You'd know better about it than I would though, for sure.

Eh spring is a slow time in the community normally anyways... Things usually pick up around now ( which you noted is currently happening... :lol:).

Yeah, and I'm glad to see it is. I've been itching to get out and play. I just picked up a back-up AEG so I can use my old mags (GBB mags are expensive) and so I don't have to wait until the weather is definitely gonna be above 60 degrees. Edited by HelsinkiTorpedo

Joker

So the necro posting thing... there are a few ways to take it. All forum rules such as that are basically up to Mod discretion as to whether or not they will give you a warning or whatever. Generally though if you are adding new or useful information to the topic or discussion regardless of how old the topic is, you are good. Another option is to simply start a new topic to restart discussions and simply post the link to the original post for reference.

And while our forums here may not seem lively with new discussions all the time, as someone who regularly attends a variety of events, I assure you our community is still growing and active.

~Joker

HelsinkiTorpedo

So the necro posting thing... there are a few ways to take it. All forum rules such as that are basically up to Mod discretion as to whether or not they will give you a warning or whatever. Generally though if you are adding new or useful information to the topic or discussion regardless of how old the topic is, you are good. Another option is to simply start a new topic to restart discussions and simply post the link to the original post for reference.

And while our forums here may not seem lively with new discussions all the time, as someone who regularly attends a variety of events, I assure you our community is still growing and active.

~Joker

Yeah, rules against necro-posting aren't really sticking in my craw, and the rule itself says what you just said about it (I'm pretty sure).

I'm looking forward to getting out to some events myself. I know that there are some local guys at work that play, but they didn't know that this forum even existed. I'm not sure if they've seen the facebook page/group or made it to any events. If not, I'm gonna try to drag them along, for sure.

hrturner

Agreed here. Most mods let most necro posts slide so long as it's not a "I agree" type of response. If a post adds actual value, then by all means post!

I do worry about the creating new topics part though. If a topic already exists and your comment/question doesn't further the discussion; How would it be appropriate for a new post? Serious question here too... I simply can't think of an example/

Red 2

Agreed here. Most mods let most necro posts slide so long as it's not a "I agree" type of response. If a post adds actual value, then by all means post!

I do worry about the creating new topics part though. If a topic already exists and your comment/question doesn't further the discussion; How would it be appropriate for a new post? Serious question here too... I simply can't think of an example/

I got one.

Last year, I posted a Halloween idea in the planning section. I got a little feedback... But some lines with people went silent, and I didn't have the traction needed. However, this is a new year, with new chances. I mean, I s'pose I could just plan everything from behind curtains, and just spring it on people... Hm.

Look for an event later in the year from me.

hrturner

I got one.

Last year, I posted a Halloween idea in the planning section. I got a little feedback... But some lines with people went silent, and I didn't have the traction needed. However, this is a new year, with new chances. I mean, I s'pose I could just plan everything from behind curtains, and just spring it on people... Hm.

Look for an event later in the year from me.

But your post would still be about planning a Halloween game right? Just because it's a new year doesn't mean that reviving the thread wouldn't be appropriate. Not sure how this example would dictate a new thread? Game planning is game planning regardless of when it happens. Yea if you originally put dates and what not, it might seem odd but if the purpose of the thread was for ideas on how to run a halloween game and you have more ideas for running a halloween game, that sounds like constructive additions to an already existing thread to me.