Basher

Hey guys,

I’m Isaac, 26 years old, gun enthusiast and completely new to the airsoft world. I’ve been looking at getting into the sport for quite some time and finally decided to quit just talking about it and dive head first in. Right now I’m leaning towards pursuing a long range sniper class with a Vsr-10 rifle in the mail and completely open to suggestions about a good sidearm to accompany me. I look forward to meeting new people and being a part of the airsoft community. I have yet to play in any matches yet but I’ve been shooting firearms my entire life and I’m excited to be a part of this sport. Hope to see you all in the near future.

I don't typically recommend newer players start of with the role of Sniper. That's usually something more experienced players get into later down the road. That being said as long as you have the patience and willingness to learn you will be fine. Just don't get frustrated and "rage quit".

There is no shortage of choice in side arms. I'd recommend these brands of GBB in no particular order; TM, WE, KJW, and KWA. There are of course many other options but I have positive first hand experience with the ones I've mentioned.

This might be helpful: http://www.airsoft-indiana.com/forum/index.php/topic/28-jokers-guide-to-airsoft-sniping-101/?do=findComment&comment=35478

Welcome to the madhouse.

~Joker

Edited by Joker

Joker speaks wisdom here. Every new player I've seen start with a bolt action is really turned off. Stay with a nice beginner AEG like a G&G Combat machine to start out with. Then as you play more and more move that to your secondary and buy a better weapon platform. 

BTW, glad to have you onboard and please poke around on the boards.....tons of valueable intel for the novice to pro airsofter. 

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice and warm welcome. Being an avid hunter since I was a kid I definitely have the patience and willingness to learn but being completely new to this world I want to observe some matches before making a decision. I’m thinking about heading down to Spec Ops tomorrow to check it out anyone planning to attend that open play? I know it’s an indoor field so probably not a lot of bolt actions being used but figured it’s still worth checking out.

You likely won't be able to use your bolt action there. Indoor fields have lower fps requirements due to the close quarters nature, and bolt actions are usually way above that out of the box. They do have rental guns though, should you want to get in on the action.

• 2 weeks later...

I live on the southside of Indy in Greenwood. I know there’s an indoor field down in Martinsville but I’m a little more interested in the outdoor play. I took Joker’s advice and decided to purchase an AEG to start with so I can get a good idea of the game flow, then maybe move to a sniper class down the road. My first game will be at Joker’s Circus for Noob Day, can’t wait.

Edited by Basher

My crew is from Indy so not too far from you. We will be at Mutual Impact Saturday. Its a great field about an hour ish away. Details of the game are in the Indiana Games section of the forum.

I FULLY endorse Mutual Combat for a place for novice as well as those that have played a long while! You won't be disappointed. Great crew and great field.