Ear Protection Quandary

Grey Ghost 17

Hello all!

Ear pro is not often required by airsoft fields, but when it is, we use a number of ideas. Shemaghs, bandannas, balaclavas, unique mesh masks, certain ballistic masks and even helmet attachments. Large Milsim games ask for hearing protection as well, but I'm specifically referring to physical protection of the ears from BBs.

My particular concern here is this: Are there any type of simple ear muffs or something that easily protects just the ears without being electronic nor sound dampening?

What have you all found/used to protect your ears?

Edited by Grey Ghost 17

Ha ha! After I made this post, I continued to search for ear pro and came across that very same item! Regardless, thank you so much. This means I'm either a dork or my learning curve is catching up. Or both. :D

I also found various 3D printed add-ons to the basic mesh mask practically everybody already owns. Depending on the manufacturer, the price and style varies, but it's not a bad sounding idea, as long as the material they use is sturdy enough to get the job done. The best(though expensive) example is this: https://www.shapeways.com/product/UEPAY4ZUP/ear-protection-2pc-attaches-to-airsoft-mesh-mask

Honest to goodness, but I have never once heard of ear pro being required anywhere, even the big games like Milsim West. Granted its a good idea because being next to the real AK's tapping out blanks mid-game, especially indoors/next to walls, will pretty much leave you def, but thats along the lines of sound dampening ear pro. Specific impact ear protection, thats a new one for me.

I can't imagine you would look anything less than silly running around with mesh hoops over your ears like you are trying to impersonate Princess Leia, just without the hair to make the earmuff bun.....

Interesting topic. Any reason specifically you are looking for this? Personal preference I presume?

In 10+ years without ever once wearing a helmet or any form of face protection, I can say that I have never been shot in the ear (Im jinxed now though). And again, I have never heard of ear pro beyond sound dampening being asked for let alone required. Any specific game that you know mandates this? Just curious.

BG requires some sort of ear pro, doesn't have to be rigid, a beanie that covers your ears is sufficient. I've seen some other fields require it in other states too.

Hanback: What Junker said. And yeah, personal preference. Try not to worry: I don't think jinxing is an actual part of the circle of life. ;) But, apparently, "jinxing" IS included in the spell-checker library. :huh: Who knew?lol

Currently, I'm running a shemagh over a balaclava(goggles and mesh mask too, of course), but that doesn't stop me from thinking about something more...solid. The topic was introduced out of a building curiosity and so that I'd have future ideas and considerations, but if it brings to the community further safety topics and options - even if uncommon - then I think we have a welcomed, surprising, win win on our hands.

I've seen those, but I'd have to order one from a site I have not been to, just to have the skull design on it(painting one is not appealing lol).