Hello I'm Welder22

Welder22

Hello everybody I'm Welder22, and my family and I just moved to loogootee,IN. Looking to get into airsoft for a hobby the whole family can have fun with. I've played paintball in high school and tried airsoft once and really enjoyed it. Could have been more fun but was using a cheap borrowed gun but still had a blast. I'm 30 wife is 28 and my son is 8 not looking to spend an outrageous amount on guns but thinking $150 max per gun would be reasonable to start and make sure everybody likes it. I've been looking at CYMA, G&G, and A&K rifles as I've read they are good started guns. Wife and I want M4's and my son wants an AK, would like to get full metal receivers but for my budget that would be hard to find. Does anybody have any recommendations on any of these companies or experience dealing with these brands? I've been searching mostly evike and have looked a little on airsoft megastore. Thanks for any help anybody can offer. Hope to hear from you and eventually see you on the field.

Edited by Welder22

Welcome to the party pal!

Word of advice. There are very few airsoft guns in the 150 range that will last and perform well. So, with that being said. Invest your money in good boots, and eye protection. Make sure you have a paintball mask for the little one, and probably the wife too, and worry about performance of weapons once you see if you really like the hobby. You are probably not going to find good performance until you get to that 250-300 dollar price range, but that is just my opinion, and I run a gun that cost more than my first car, so don't listen to me. Lol

Yea just looking to get out there and get some play time in before we start getting into the fancy equipment lol. I'm gonna get the mesh face masks and full seal goggles for everybody I'd hate for them to get shot in the face first day. I've also been thinking I may have to foot out more money on the starter guns but just not looking to spend more than my first car lol!

Edited by Welder22

Welcome!

Yea just looking to get out there and get some play time in before we start getting into the fancy equipment lol. I'm gonna get the mesh face masks and full seal goggles for everybody I'd hate for them to get shot in the face first day. I've also been thinking I may have to foot out more money on the starter guns but just not looking to spend more than my first car lol!

All the brands you've mentioned have some good stuff. There's generally a good amount of information available online on each model (If not on our forum) if you dig enough.

Adding to what Echo said, honestly, even if the gun or the battery isn't super good, at the very least you'll do absolutely fine at closer ranges. Even if you are horrendously outgunned, you can still have a great time. Heck, if you play as a medic or scout, some people have fun without firing a shot.

Cyma AKs run around the $120-$180 mark, perform pretty darn well and generally have good metal in them. (Stamped steel models on evike!)

With M4's, it's a bit harder with that budget I think. Some of them are polymer (Good quality) with a metal rail, the whole thing still feels solid though.

I have a lower end AK (JG? Cyma?) with a plastic coated receiver, better gears and creaky stock that I use for backup & as a loaner. It actually holds up really well - Just don't be throwing or tripping with it, lol

Shoots straight too.

Make sure the goggles are at least ANSI z87.1 High Impact or "+" sign'd.

OneTigris makes a nice mesh mask lower that is metal on the front and thick fabric on the sides, compared to metal all the way around. They are more flexible and less rigid, so it depends on your taste.

I prefer lower profile goggles, so I'll put in a plug for lower profile goggles :D.  try Valken Zulus with the full strap they provide. I prefer lower profile goggles because they easily run underneath your mask without either of the two interfering with each other; I've seen Revision Desert Locusts (Big goggles, probably more comfy) expose gaps around the eyes when used with mesh lowers. A bandana, hat, boonie or sweatband can help reduce forehead shots with the smaller goggles. Take a look at anti-fog wipes and fans if it becomes a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong

For later:

If you have problems with trigger response or general sluggishness, the easiest and cheapest thing to do is: Replace (Or get somebody here to do it for you) the Tamiya connectors with Deans style connectors, (near zero resistance up to around 35A, even if it's not a real deans connector), and consider swapping from NiMH to LiPO battery type. HobbyKing sells all kinds of Turnigy nano-tech batteries that are very good (Especially for the price) in both 2 cell and 3 cell variants. A 7.4v LiPO is similar to a 9.6 NiMH, if not slightly slower in fire rate, but quicker in response. The chargers can be kind of pricey though.

Edited by Sturm

This is the AK I'm looking at for my son http://www.evike.com/products/66591/

The 552 for my wife http://www.evike.com/products/29827/

And the M4 I'd like to get http://www.evike.com/products/38571/

Anybody ever used any of these or heard anything good or bad about them? This is just about right for the price range I wanna spend can go a lil bit more if necessary.

This is the AK I'm looking at for my son http://www.evike.com/products/66591/

Can't go wrong with CYMA for early-mid tier. Keep in mind that while their AKs have quality externals and good internals, they are a bit on the heavy side as most of them are full metal (7-10lbs. in my experience, the one you linked is also about 3ft. long fully extended). If your son is 8 then you may want to get him one that's more compact and lightweight. Personally I'd reccomend a Beta Spetsnaz variant but an AKS-74u would work too.

The 552 for my wife http://www.evike.com/products/29827/

Mad respect for choosing something different than most people. This 552 in particular is also made by CYMA, so it's a good all-rounder, however I've never seen one in the wild before so I can't vouch for it personally. Evike's reviews are usually pretty solid especially when there's more than 20 5-stars though. Keep in mind the 552, like the G36, has these weird propreitary mags both in airsoft and IRL so I don't think someone would be able to toss you a spare in the middle of a firefight. Other than that little bit, solid choice.

And the M4 I'd like to get http://www.evike.com/products/38571/

I speak for a lot of people in the scene when I say it's highly recommended you choose a G&G M4 (my father has this same one and loves it to death), but if you're dead-set on having BAMF stamped on the receiver then this is the only option lol. Anyway, I haven't seen many A&K guns in the field unless it was one of their high-end light machine guns like the M249 or Mk46. They also have a few obscure ones like the ACR or LR-300 and some WW2 stuff which again are all pretty rare. That said if someone else could weigh in here that'd be great.

One last bit: get 'mid-cap' magazines (usually 100-250 rounds) and a good speed loader. These mags operate on a tighter spring and don't need to be winded up like hi-caps do, which improves feeding and rate of fire (ROF). When you decide on rifles hit me up on this thread and I can find some good ones for your guns.

EDIT: Wow I forgot to introduce myself. My name's Snuffles, I'm a young guy who makes music by day and airsofts by night. I'm usually wearing a black hat and vest with my pink name tag on it so you won't miss me :P . Always cool to see new players enter the scene here, so hopefully we'll meet sometime.

Edited by Snuffles

RT on getting a shorter AK. The CYMA cm.035 is a great gun, one of my friends has been running his for years and still loves it. It's a solid, lightweight, easy to handle gun

Jg is, to put it nicely, composed of chinesium and ass. If i could, I'd likely manure my garden with it. That said, their g36's were shockingly not made of concentrated suck. For low price m4's, I'd recommend getting yourself a g&g.

Ak's, i love cyma to death for entry level. Their 035, like nox said, is a very solid little weapon.

For the 552, i think the only truly nice 552's out there are the maruis and ics models, but they're pricey.

Jg is, to put it nicely, composed of chinesium and ass. If i could, I'd likely manure my garden with it. That said, their g36's were shockingly not made of concentrated suck. For low price m4's, I'd recommend getting yourself a g&g.

I second this. And the OEM for the M4 he linked was some sort of JG / DBoys / CYMA collab. Not sure how I feel about that lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been looking around and found this M4

http://www.evike.com/products/32876/

Is the JG company any good? I'm interested cause it's full metal receivers and internals.

If you're going to spend that much on an AEG, get a G&G Combat Machines or a Krytac Alpha series as an entry level AEG and call it a day.