Why Do You Play Airsoft?

Joker

Everyone has their own reasons for why they started playing airsoft and maybe over time those reasons have changed or compounded. I wanted to start a fun discussion about what those reasons are. I want to hear from everyone, from newer players to the experienced ones. I think we can all agree it's fun. But everyone has a different idea of fun.

For me it was pretty simple in the beginning. I had grown up around and shooting guns from a very young age. So I would say I was interested in airsoft because of my love of guns. Add that to getting to also hang out with my best friends and it had me hooked.

As for why I've kept playing airsoft after all these years is quite a lengthy list. But I will try and simplify it by saying I genuinely enjoy the game of airsoft and I love the comradery. I think of playing airsoft like a game of human chess or human hunting (as odd as that may sound). And I enjoy seeing all of the friends I've made over the years and getting to hang out doing this thing we all like. Plus it can be a heck of a workout.

Well I better stop there before I write a book. Let's here your story, why are you here?

~Joker

I've been playing fir 3 years and i started playing airsoft aftet buying a spring Walmart gun but then got a cyma ak. And the thing that keeps me going is the rush and all the good laughs i have with my buddies

Because when I was 18 they didn't take gays in the military.

But for real, maybe.

The real OG of airsoft videos.

Actually one of the first 'videos' I saw I downloaded off Limewire, however fucking long ago that was.

For me, it is the time with my comrades. I enjoy coming out, catching up with people I haven't seen in a long time, and seeing the familiar faces. The thrill and excitement of pulling off something spectacular is always another part of it. Waiting till just the perfect moment and watching a good plan come together. The memories of games past, and wanting to feel those emotions again. All of that is what brings me back to the field (even if my weapons seem to break every time i play -_- ).

I do it for endurance. I play because of the adrenaline rush I get every time I get close to someone on the opposite team (sneaky sneaky). I prefer playing in diverse weather conditions from rainy days to extreme heat. The more challenging the environment the better.

I enjoy the camaraderie and friendships I developed with other players. Mostly I enjoy learning from other players. The more I observe/run with other players, the more experience and skills I develop.

Lastly, I play airsoft because it fits my personality. I am extremely comfortable spending months at a time outdoors (thru-hiked AT in 5 months). I also enjoy integrity in airsoft. I am pleased to see so many people with integrity on the fields and off the fields.

Battlefield 4: Don't get fat edition. :lol:

Really though, it's the real life parallel. It's also an excellent trainer for unit cohesion and some real world tactics. I was in a battlefield clan that did squad based competitions against other clanmates. Seriousness probably rivaled games hosted via Electronic Sports League. We trained every week during squad wars season; learning the maps, weakpoints, tactics, all until matches could be played with minimal communication and just... Flow. (Obliteration is what we used, infantry only with modified ESL rules, for you BF4 fans)

At the end of the day or season, regardless of which squad was ahead that day, we "shook hands" and reflected on what we did right and what we could improve for next time. We trained and played serious, but still laugh and have a good time at the end of the day.

I've met some great people through Airsoft. The camaraderie and adrenaline are a major part in the thrill. It's less the pain, and more the fear of letting your team or squad down that fuels me. Every glancing hit or direct hit is a chance to reflect on what you can improve for next time.

I'm also fascinated by technology.

7 years of various training with all kinds of smaller calibers, + bow usage.

Firearms are incredible works of art and a blast (no pun intended) to use. It's neat to use something that resembles a real platform or can even be used as a trainer for said platform.

I tend to stay in shape to keep ahead in airsoft, should my playstyle require it

I develop good training techniques that can transfer to RS, (For the most part) even if only for recreational use.

I get to see friends and community members

I get to test my physical and mental strengths and weaknesses

I have a good time.

As a side note, I have the deepest respect for LEOs and our military. I might not agree on everything they do, nor understand the reasons behind said things, but I'm just here to play a sport and have a good time.

Edited by Sturm

I have a few reasons but off the top of my head, seeing all the kit gets me excited. A guy I played with down in Florida said airsoft was cosplay with guns and that analogy seems to hold up pretty well to this day.

Just need to make myself look less Counter-Strike and more The Division in the future...

• 2 weeks later...

First off, its something to do for a bored teenager who stays home playing video games and can't seem to get a girlfriend

Second ties off of that, it's like real life Arma or Squad, on a smaller scale of course

I've been playing for about 3 years now on and off.  I got hooked after a friend invited me.  I enjoy the ability and thrill of engagements/flanking and playing with friends.  Plus its relatively low cost. 

Mostly its more cost less, as well it's illegal to go around shooting people with real bullets. Cheaper than Paintball as well and not as messy.

Edited by Insanebassninja