Need Help Upgrading Ump/mp5

AR14

So I have a stock CYMA MP5 and Umarex UMP-45 and I'd like to upgrade them. Nothing crazy like an HPA but I'm looking for pointers as to where to start. So far my only issues right now have been with a bad string of faulty chargers (none of my batteries had juice; had to use the FNX all day) but a few of the guys at the Battleground game today recommended I get at least a 7.4v Li-Po and a Dean's connector (which I'm still fuzzy on the difference between this "Tamiya" connector I have now and that). Sorry if I don't sound like I know what I'm looking for because I'm not a tech-minded guy. Pretty good financially right now but assume I'm on a low-moderately tight budget say, $200 absolute max.

Edited by Snuffles

Tamiya sucks, the connectors get warped easily and frequently become difficult to connect. With deans, you get more durable connectors and a better flow of electricity due to the increased contact area. If you get a lipo, which you should, you definitely want deans on your gun, but more importantly you want some sort of mostfet. You can go the simple route and get something like a NukeFet (~$18) which will just protect your trigger contacts from electrical arcing. On the other hand, you can go all out and get something like the BTC Chimera, which runs something like $150 but will give you far more.

Durability upgrades are pretty important. I guarantee both guns need to be shimmed, cleaned and regreased, and have their angle of engagement corrected (point at which the sector gear first contacts the piston). You could also look into upgrading your barrels

If you just plan on using a 7.4 you don't necessarily need a mosfet. The power output is similar to a 9.6.

When you start looking for a battery look on hobbyking.com. Best prices you'll find.

Tamiya sucks, the connectors get warped easily and frequently become difficult to connect. With deans, you get more durable connectors and a better flow of electricity due to the increased contact area. If you get a lipo, which you should, you definitely want deans on your gun, but more importantly you want some sort of mostfet. You can go the simple route and get something like a NukeFet (~$18) which will just protect your trigger contacts from electrical arcing. On the other hand, you can go all out and get something like the BTC Chimera, which runs something like $150 but will give you far more.

Durability upgrades are pretty important. I guarantee both guns need to be shimmed, cleaned and regreased, and have their angle of engagement corrected (point at which the sector gear first contacts the piston). You could also look into upgrading your barrels

Thanks for the detailed advice. How easy is it to install a Deans wiring and mosfet, and additionally what tools would I need to shim/clean/grease my gun up?

If you just plan on using a 7.4 you don't necessarily need a mosfet. The power output is similar to a 9.6.

When you start looking for a battery look on hobbyking.com. Best prices you'll find.

I'll check Hobby King, but do you know if local hobbyist stores like Hobbytown USA (Castleton, IN is the closest for me) carry LiPos and accessories?

They probably do but hobbyking in my experience is cheaper even with shipping. And you can buy them with deans plugs on them. Then you just have to solder a new plug to your gun.

They probably do but hobbyking in my experience is cheaper even with shipping. And you can buy them with deans plugs on them. Then you just have to solder a new plug to your gun.

Alright. I may buy online then, but is soldering an easy job?

Snuffles,

If you need assistance installing deans on your gun I'd be happy to help since you live close to me. I've wired up my batteries and my Krytac all to deans. I've got extra connectors at home as well. Soldering is easy. Even if you've never done it before you can take on this task there are helpful videos on youtube that will show you how to solder on a deans connector. Also with deans you'll get a slightly better trigger response.

Snuffles,

If you need assistance installing deans on your gun I'd be happy to help since you live close to me. I've wired up my batteries and my Krytac all to deans. I've got extra connectors at home as well. Soldering is easy. Even if you've never done it before you can take on this task there are helpful videos on youtube that will show you how to solder on a deans connector. Also with deans you'll get a slightly better trigger response.

If you got time to show me the ropes, that'd be awesome man. As far as the shopping list goes, I got 2x 7.4v LiPos, 2x Deans connectors, a LiPo charger, what else am I missing before I have all the pieces together?

Rewiring the batteries is super easy with a soldering iron and the right parts. It's actually pretty fun, lol

Now installing a mosfet, that depends on the gun and mosfet itself.

Luckily I was able to cut, strip, splice, tin, solder and run heatshrink tubing on my Echo1 Gat's motor to connect my mosfet without messing with the gearbox. It worked out because the original wire was actually almost four times as thick as standard nukefet wiring. The motor doesn't heat up as much now. You'll definitely notice a difference in trigger response with deans and lipos.

Edited by Sturm

If you got time to show me the ropes, that'd be awesome man. As far as the shopping list goes, I got 2x 7.4v LiPos, 2x Deans connectors, a LiPo charger, what else am I missing before I have all the pieces together?

Sorry for the late response. I've been outta town in Wisconsin. I can definitely show you the ropes. I'm off Wednesday until Sunday. You can swing by my apartment at anytime between those days except for Saturday. I'm running to the Spec Ops field to pew pew for a while. I've got the connectors, shrink wrap, and a big 'ole tube of solder already.

Sorry for the late response. I've been outta town in Wisconsin. I can definitely show you the ropes. I'm off Wednesday until Sunday. You can swing by my apartment at anytime between those days except for Saturday. I'm running to the Spec Ops field to pew pew for a while. I've got the connectors, shrink wrap, and a big 'ole tube of solder already.

My bad: I meant to say I ordered the items but they haven't come in yet so I'll PM you when the stuff arrives.

Which lipo charger did you go with?

This one

EDIT: Haven't checked out yet and I may have to look for batteries at a hobby store or something because HobbyKing only has LiPos wired to Deans in HK or EUR.

Edited by Snuffles

Soldering is really easy man, trust me. Plus there will be random moments in life where it will come in handy.

Good charger choice

Just ordered the goods, should be arriving sometime before April 5th I believe if you have any available times that week to show me the ropes.

Just ordered the goods, should be arriving sometime before April 5th I believe if you have any available times that week to show me the ropes.

That's my short week so I'll be off Wednesday - Sunday again. So pretty much anytime between then.