Where Does Airsoft Stand On The Political Side Of Things?

AR14

I know some states have restrictions (paint this and that part yellow, 350+ fps is illegal, must have orange tip, etc.) and I'm pretty sure one or two outright banned the sport, overall I'm curious as to whether or not our hobby is in danger. The last time I saw an airsoft make a headline was with the John Lu scandal last year but I have yet to hear whether or not politicians even care. 

My consensus is that we're living in an age full of nonsensical liberals with zero tolerance for anything resembling a gun. I know a few people that consider airsoft / paintball / NERF to be "just as bad as a real gun" but have yet to see any mainstream articles going for or against airsoft. It seems to me that because airsoft is still a niche hobby, no one pays it any mind. Ask anyone's parents if they've taken their kids to a paintball party and most will say yes; airsoft not so much. It feels invisible in a sense unless you're in a hotspot like SoCal or you're active in a community like what we have here at AI.

I guess what I'm asking is this: is there any reason for me to be concerned? If so, where can I keep up to date on any future legislation?

Edited by Snuffles

Well, California is silly and it's no surprise they've done something silly with airsoft. most of Europe's laws are also pretty silly in my opinion, and evidently a lot of people agree on that based on the flak the indoor field got over his brainstorming session a while back. There's a notable liberal leaning guy on a talk show that let's his kids do airsoft, but he's very anti-gun otherwise IIRC.

They can resemble real firearms, and they move a projectile at low speeds, but the similarities stop there.

If you spook an officer or somebody because your AT-4 replica and 50BMG is leaning out of your truck on the way to an event, it's kinda on you for not keeping it out of sight. That's why we treat them like real steel; primarily keeping them out of view during transport and also general safety for not only muscle memory reasons but because they are still somewhat dangerous if they hit the right spot in the staging area.

I'd be interesting to know where I can follow proposed bills, etc as well.

Believe me, I don't think anyone in their right mind would mount their PKM on the roof of their pickup truck or something crazy but the only times I've heard of one being brandished in public was because either someone thought it'd be cheaper to buy a TM Glock than a Hi-Point or didn't have legal means to get a gun for their first and last robbery. For a week I "concealed carried" a springer M&P Shield compact (I have my CC licence mind you) just to get a feel for what carrying in general is like, but never did I brandish it like an idiot nor would I in a scenario where I'd need one.

Airsoft is not nearly as "invisible" as you may think. It's certainly not as unknown as it once was years ago. I've actually see it pop up in several headlines both good and bad recently. Things like a news channel covering it as a way to help those with PTSD. Or Stephen Colbert mentioning that his sons play airsoft. And of course the stupid kids pointing airsoft guns at cops or playing in areas they shouldn't be and winning stupid prizes.

Airsoft may seem unknown compared to PB and I think it will always be that way. PB is much easier to monetize than airsoft so it will always get more attention. But when Walmarts and other sporting goods stores are selling airsoft stuff I would say that's it's pretty well known.

And I think as long as a certain vocal group views firearms in a negative way all things associated with them will be under attack. So it's up to us to shine a light on all the positives that comes with airsoft and defend it as best we can.

~Joker