01/14/17 Community Meeting Debrief

AR14

I'm from Parker City, so Muncie is like 20 minutes away. I'm still on AD, and won't be home for another month or so, then having my knee replaced (thanks Marine Corps), then I can start looking at planning something.

When it gets closer to time, I'll start advertising something, and getting a roster made.

I've also got access to a lot of land, I've got my own shooting range...etc. Most of what I could teach that would be pertinent to airsoft I could do on my own land. MOUT, and all things related to it would be better suited for somewhere with buildings. They don't necessarily need to be live-fire or anything official like that.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a few focused courses on different subjects. MOUT, Comms, how to patrol, and react to contact in different formations (column, wedge, echelon, skirmishers...etc), how to properly assault an objective with anything from 2 dudes to a whole 12 man squad...

For more advanced "mil-sim" stuff, I could kick a class for some other stuff...but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. For way more advanced stuff, I know some guys who would probably come out for a bit to demo some more specialized things for guys who might be interested. More along the lines of camouflage, and being sneaky if you catch my drift.

Like I said, there's a lot of possibilities. I haven't been into the sport in a long time, and will probably never play like I used to..but teaching, mentoring, leading, and helping are something that I'm always up for.

• Upvote 1

I think a combination of build day and teaching day would be very effective. Start out working on the field, then half way through the day break to eat and introduce the elements of what will be taught, then transition into that.

• 3 weeks later...

AI meeting Jan 17th 

---General Notes---         

-Team Spartan has straightened out recently and hopefully will continue.

I'm curious....What exactly is THIS supposed to mean?

I'm curious....What exactly is THIS supposed to mean?

A surprisingly large number of players have had complaints when playing against Spartan, mainly issues with some of their members not calling hits and making questionable gameplay decisions like using dead players as shields

I'm curious if this complaining is happening while ISA is destroying these "members" on the field? There's a reason ISA is respected on a national level and very successful on the field. We don't do petty shit like hold meetings to talk about other teams being on their "best behavior".

But keep being insignificant in the airsoft community and talking shit about us behind our back. Jealousy is an ugly color to wear.

The issues with ISA are over 2 years old, the main one i can recall occuring at African Fever 2, though personally I had issues with one of the members at Blind Fury 11. ISA has regained some respect from me recently the few times i have played with them by putting up a hard fight and playing honest, namely at Pandora's Box 2016. Issues were had in the past though, which caused some members here and EO's to be wary of their presence on the field because 2-3 of the players were consistently complained about to event staff or behaved poorly in general both on an off field by being arrogant and overly aggressive.

But please, continue to think as you will.

• Upvote 2

Just because you're respected on a national level doesn't mean you're immune to bad behavior, and negative feelings from fellow players...cough... GMR...cough.

I've only played with you dudes once, and it was alright. But, getting all butthurt and defensive online won't help convey your message of being easy to get along with. Everyone has bad moments. Just own it, and move on.

• Upvote 4

I'm curious if this complaining is happening while ISA is destroying these "members" on the field? There's a reason ISA is respected on a national level and very successful on the field. We don't do petty shit like hold meetings to talk about other teams being on their "best behavior".

But keep being insignificant in the airsoft community and talking shit about us behind our back. Jealousy is an ugly color to wear.

Literally the entire discussion was a 1 minute conversation that none of us had any issues with ISA over the past year and it was refreshing that there weren't any real egregious douchebags in the state in general as of late, congrats for altering my opinion in the span of one post. 

Do you seriously have absolutely no idea that people had a negative opinion of ISA? Are you really that insulated from the greater airsoft community? Saying shit like "destroying these 'members'" just makes you sound like an elitist douchebag. Sasquatch hit the nail on the fucking head, GMR was the same god damn shit. They tried to act like they were above the opinion of the lesser players and that attitude got them banned nationwide by every major milsim event organizer.

Edited by broken
  • Upvote 1

The 2017 A-I community meeting was definitely held so that we could all get together and talk about ISA :lol:

There is a stark difference between a team getting complaints from a couple butthurts at one game and a team getting complaints from multiple persons, from multiple locations, at multiple games, spanning multiple years. Like stated above, someone was mentioning the change in play style that has been noticed, which is a positive thing.

I would like to formally apologize for our meeting rustling your jimmies all the way down there in Kentucky

Edited by Noxtoof
  • Upvote 2

Drop the wounded fawn horse pussy act right this second or don't come back, we don't play that around here.

Listen, I've been at this shit since 2005, playing more games in the ORV than I have hairs on my ass, and I will make a really long, really stupid story, a really short/sweet one:

There was a period of time when we as a community, and other communities, were getting repeated complaints about behavior on the field, and before and after airshit games.  Those complaints, have since yet started to peter out.  Oh hey just so you don't feel alone, Spartan/ISA/whateveralphabetsoupgamertag hasn't been the only group that has had complaints fielded about it.  It's ok, people make fuck ups, and people let fuck ups on their teams sometimes.  Maybe you guys vet your members better now.  Maybe you guys hazed the fuck out of the problem children and they are either dead, or no longer problem children anymore.  Honestly I don't even know who ISA is.  All the complaints I heard were directed at me in regards of Spartan, specific, members.

When numerous different people, from numerous communities, are reporting from one community head to another about 'hey watch out for these guys, they show up like this and act like this', that's not an isolated incident of a 15 year old kid overshooting somebody, that's a group of people traveling to different fields and repeatedly acting like shitbags.  You shit your friends.  I'll shit my friends.  Lets not shit eachother.

But this whole crop a fucking elitist attitude shit about national levels and insignificance, that aint walking here.

I personally, had two issues, years ago with them.  Since then, shit has chilled out.  That's a good thing.  That's what they discussed.  You seem to have this notion in your head that your team can't POSSIBLY have a single shitbag on it.  Well, news for you partner, if you have a single human on your team, you have the possibility of having someone who exhibits shitbag behavior on your team.  That's why it's important to vet your people and police your own.  Make them do burpees if they fuck up.  Make them slam a fifth of whiskey, run a lap, and then sing the national anthem if they fuck up.  I don't care, police your own.  I have policy of if someone won't spank their damn kids, I'll do it for them.  If that kid happens to be a 40 year old man, and spanking means banning them from a community and telling them to walk it off till they figure out how to be an adult, well okee-dokee-then.

Ya dig?

And airsoft in general is pretty insignificant, but I'm glad to know that you get a good ole boner stroking by being 'respected at the national level'.  Actively acting holier than thou, and being all 'well my guys couldn't POSSIBLY have the ability to do anything wrong, ever!' is the worst kind of nerd.

• Upvote 6

Drop the wounded fawn horse pussy act right this second or don't come back, we don't play that around here.

Listen, I've been at this shit since 2005, playing more games in the ORV than I have hairs on my ass, and I will make a really long, really stupid story, a really short/sweet one:

There was a period of time when we as a community, and other communities, were getting repeated complaints about behavior on the field, and before and after airshit games.  Those complaints, have since yet started to peter out.  Oh hey just so you don't feel alone, Spartan/ISA/whateveralphabetsoupgamertag hasn't been the only group that has had complaints fielded about it.  It's ok, people make fuck ups, and people let fuck ups on their teams sometimes.  Maybe you guys vet your members better now.  Maybe you guys hazed the fuck out of the problem children and they are either dead, or no longer problem children anymore.  Honestly I don't even know who ISA is.  All the complaints I heard were directed at me in regards of Spartan, specific, members.

When numerous different people, from numerous communities, are reporting from one community head to another about 'hey watch out for these guys, they show up like this and act like this', that's not an isolated incident of a 15 year old kid overshooting somebody, that's a group of people traveling to different fields and repeatedly acting like shitbags.  You shit your friends.  I'll shit my friends.  Lets not shit eachother.

But this whole crop a fucking elitist attitude shit about national levels and insignificance, that aint walking here.

I personally, had two issues, years ago with them.  Since then, shit has chilled out.  That's a good thing.  That's what they discussed.  You seem to have this notion in your head that your team can't POSSIBLY have a single shitbag on it.  Well, news for you partner, if you have a single human on your team, you have the possibility of having someone who exhibits shitbag behavior on your team.  That's why it's important to vet your people and police your own.  Make them do burpees if they fuck up.  Make them slam a fifth of whiskey, run a lap, and then sing the national anthem if they fuck up.  I don't care, police your own.  I have policy of if someone won't spank their damn kids, I'll do it for them.  If that kid happens to be a 40 year old man, and spanking means banning them from a community and telling them to walk it off till they figure out how to be an adult, well okee-dokee-then.

Ya dig?

And airsoft in general is pretty insignificant, but I'm glad to know that you get a good ole boner stroking by being 'respected at the national level'.  Actively acting holier than thou, and being all 'well my guys couldn't POSSIBLY have the ability to do anything wrong, ever!' is the worst kind of nerd.

ERRREH!

You'd make a great Infantry Squad Leader. I just got fucking hard.

Nxstang, Thank you for your input, I am very sorry we actually commended you guys about having better behavior only to have that view destroyed when a Spartan, who's been on the forum for 6 years, decided to post on the thread of a meeting in which Spartan made no attempt to attend. Now, we will continue to use this thread for community discussion of the meeting and extra input members would like to add in to make the forums better.
I just have three questions for you

1) Why do you chose to browse these "insignificant" forums instead of using your time for other "obviously better" things

2) Do you actually think you will better your position, or our view of Spartan, should you start insulting the very place where you come to make these comments?

3) please, what can we do to become "more significant" in the airsoft community?

Edited by Noxtoof
He was unable to edit the post

So I debated bringing this up and due to work stuff was unable to attend but given that I'm about nine months in I thought I would just throw it out there.

A little background so this makes sense. I originally had no interest in Airsoft at all. My son asked for a gun for Christmas so I bought him a cheap $50 job. A year later he was still into it so I bought him an Echo 1 AK47 the next year at Christmas (got a steal on it by the way. Beast of a gun and it was only $130. Goes for like $230 some places now). So he gets this gun when he is 13 and he talking to me about playing I did a little searching online and couldn't find any games so didn't give it much more thought. Then one day I stumbled on this forum, by accident really, and discovered there were places to play reasonably close to Indy.

My motivation came from the idea that this was an activity that my son and I could play together for the next few years as he was a teen. I figured even we he thought Dad was stupid it would still be an activity that we could bond over. Give us a chance to talk in the car, talk over the games etc. As I played I also find that I enjoy it quite a bit. And I've met a number of what seem like really good guys.

So two points of observation;

One, we need to find ways to get word out on the forums so people know there are places to play. I likely would have been playing a year sooner had I known about the forum. Maybe Facebook is a good option. A more cohesiveness to our groups would help. I have occasionally heard sniping about certain EOs or Fields. There is a right way and a wrong way to critique. Let's try and help each other not tear each other down.

Two, As a dad of a 13 year old at the time (14 now) sometimes the language can be pretty rich at the events. Now I realize one of the things about this that is appealing is just hanging with the guys. I get it. I just think in an effort to draw in younger players (which I understand is a two edged sword cause you are dealing with the newb, but it is the best way to grow the sport) we might be a little more aware of the environment we create for them.

Anyway, just an observation from a new but enthusiastic player.   

I totally get what you're saying about the language with the kids, and I am one of those most ralphmouthed, horrible people here when it comes to that.  That said, I try to keep my graveyard humor to a minimum when a child is in earshot.

But there is a two edged sword here, which, is all morally relativistic argument, and is not being stated as fact, only the way I look at it:

-We want to not say bad words in front of kids at murder simulator.
-Airsoft, is, a simulation of murder.  It is the simulation of pointing a weapon that fires a ballistic projectile at another human being, and pulling a trigger, and killing that other human being, simulating passing super heated metal slugs through that human beings body, incapacitating their central nervous system and causing hemodynamic failure of the circulatory system, until irreversible, incorrectable shock occurs, and that person dies.  Therein we are saying it is ok to take children a live action simulation of killing another person, and that's ok, but if I say TWELVE INCH PURPLE DILDO STRIPPER FIGHT in front of a ten year old, I'm the morally irresponsible one.

I'm not a hippy or anything like that, quite the contrary.  I was just taught firearm safety, and etiquette from a very young age.  Like, at age five.  That said, we don't point guns at anything we don't want to destroy.  Maybe that's a can.  Maybe that's a deer.  Maybe that's a big scary man, or, a child (gasp).

Like I said, I do make an effort to not ralph off in front of the chirrens, but I do kinda giggle when people are like DONT CUSS IN FRONT OF MAH BABY when they brought their kid out to a simulation of taking another humans life.

So, I try to behave, but I lol about it. 

One, we need to find ways to get word out on the forums so people know there are places to play. I likely would have been playing a year sooner had I known about the forum. Maybe Facebook is a good option. A more cohesiveness to our groups would help. I have occasionally heard sniping about certain EOs or Fields. There is a right way and a wrong way to critique. Let's try and help each other not tear each other down.

We actually already have an Airsoft Indiana Facebook page as well as an Airsoft Indiana Facebook group. I'm also pretty sure we are a top result when using search engines such as google. We now even have AI patches. We are out there you just have to do a little digging/searching. But maybe we can do more?

~Joker

When I referenced Facebook i was thinking more of a personal level. Meaning when i go play games and what not I should comment on my own feed or post pics. Maybe a friend sees it and his interest is peaked...

We actually already have an Airsoft Indiana Facebook page as well as an Airsoft Indiana Facebook group. I'm also pretty sure we are a top result when using search engines such as google. We now even have AI patches. We are out there you just have to do a little digging/searching. But maybe we can do more?

~Joker

^^This.... We can only do so much before other people have to take the initiative to search on their own. The FB group and page have actually been detracting from the forum. I can see visit and registration statistics. The site has had diminishing registrations for the better part of 7 months while the number of people on the FB groups grows. Then you start looking at the quality of posts on the FB groups and they are all literally repeats of information that is already documented here but we get to re-hash it on FB every other week.

Thankfully most of the members on the FB group link to the threads here but that doesn't always translate into someone using the forum. I get it we live in a society where everyone is used to 'swiping left' every 4 seconds so taking the time to do some research on something or to find something is unheard of. Sadly I don't think that's something we can fix as society has said that's fine. However with FB cracking down on 'firearms' and lumping airsoft into that group, I still think there is more of an argument FOR a forum than against. The job just becomes guiding people here instead. The patches help and an active presence on fields willl also help ( me included...). Also more cohesion amongst the group would be nice as well. We have far too many people who run off and do their own thing rather than trying to grow this thing (the forum/community).

Summer will be here so it'll be a good time for us as a community to start trying to reach out to players get them involved.

• Upvote 2

^^This.... We can only do so much before other people have to take the initiative to search on their own. The FB group and page have actually been detracting from the forum. I can see visit and registration statistics. The site has had diminishing registrations for the better part of 7 months while the number of people on the FB groups grows. Then you start looking at the quality of posts on the FB groups and they are all literally repeats of information that is already documented here but we get to re-hash it on FB every other week.

Thankfully most of the members on the FB group link to the threads here but that doesn't always translate into someone using the forum. I get it we live in a society where everyone is used to 'swiping left' every 4 seconds so taking the time to do some research on something or to find something is unheard of. Sadly I don't think that's something we can fix as society has said that's fine. However with FB cracking down on 'firearms' and lumping airsoft into that group, I still think there is more of an argument FOR a forum than against. The job just becomes guiding people here instead. The patches help and an active presence on fields willl also help ( me included...). Also more cohesion amongst the group would be nice as well. We have far too many people who run off and do their own thing rather than trying to grow this thing (the forum/community).

Summer will be here so it'll be a good time for us as a community to start trying to reach out to players get them involved.

Wise words: as soon as we got platforms like Facebook and Twitter I personally saw a lot of communities for this-and-that interest shift focus. It's weird how most of the FB posts have links to our forum and yet, no one comes on here. I see little comments in the sidebar like "what's a good starter gun?" but does anyone even see/answer on there? It wouldn't be sound to just delete the group altogether but if we could have some BIG message we can use as a plug to the website and leave it up for a solid month, maybe we'll see more activity crop up.