01/14/17 Community Meeting Debrief

AR14

Before I put in my two cents, something that stuck with me from the meeting was the big takeaway of "don't wait for someone else to do something for you". 

So I'll start up our discussion thread from today's get-together.

My Experience So Far

I've only been on AI for a few months now, but getting to meet other members in person and put a face to the names I've been seeing was an extraordinary opportunity. Something about it just hypes me up, and I had a great time sharing stories and suggestions over at Jockamo's. Seeing some of the global mods, community vets, and fellow newbies in the flesh really helps tighten my personal involvement with the forum crew. I've been a gamer longer than an airsofter, and I've spent the better part of 6 years now managing my own communities. But actually meeting others from a message board with a niche hobby no less, is much better than talking to someone behind a screen.

I've seen plenty of online groups, clans, guilds, communities, etc. fall apart for various reasons, from internal drama to financial drains. Someone (sorry, still learning names) brought up the point that we aren't really engaging with each other or 'hyping up' local events. The more I pondered that, the more concerned I was with the state of things because I'm facing that point too. The forums seem dead, with very little new posts per day or even week sometimes. Not a lot of games get posted in the events section when a year or two ago as a lurker on AI, they were plentiful. There's very few (if any) active chatrooms, MMS, or third-party VOIP services to get real-time conversations and I can't help but feel paranoid that most of the real talk goes on entirely in the PM system.

Obviously, there may be a few more things to fix than what I just named (finding fields and teams is my personal issue) but that's the point of this thread: open-forum discussion with as many voices chiming in as possible. Anyway, I'd like to give thanks to Noxtoof for setting the whole thing up, and I'd really like to get more involved with bringing AI up to a more recognizable status starting with this thread.

I'll have a separate comment down below with my personal suggestions.

~Snuff

Topics to Discuss

Obviously feel free to add more, this is just some of the things I heard / have to say if anyone needs inspiration

--Forum activity (post frequency, reviews, off-topic/IRL discussions?)

--A dedicated chatroom of sorts (Skype, Discord, TeamSpeak, etc)

--Revising structure of forums staff / roles (improving relations, dedicated "human help desks")

--Getting involved as an EO (getting more people to host)

--Organizing more large-scale games (Pandora?)

--Bringing in new members and fields

Edited by Snuffles

Forum Activity

One thing I heard about was some of the global mods being part of a chatroom sort of thing in the past where they'd discuss their daily lives, and bring up important forum issues when needed. What I'd like to see is a group chat for anyone in AI to participate in. I'm a big advocate of VOIP servers that people can hop into in their spare time (and I can definitely take the time to set one up for us) but overall, waiting days before someone comments on a post can be a bit tedious. Active discussion is the key to active membership in my opinion.

On the other hand, we need to make more people aware that there is a large forum community for airsofters near Indiana. I heard how the communities for Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, etc. have declined and I saw that for myself when I checked them. It's disheartening to see stuff posted from months, even years ago. And that's where we're heading as well.

Someone mentioned handing out AI patches and that's definitely a good way to start. Personally I'd get a bit more detailed and get bumper stickers, t-shirts, beer glasses, whatever's needed to "build our brand". Including the website URL or a "Find us on Facebook" tag is also a big part of it; as just searching Airsoft Indiana can be a bit misleading for some. Overall, visibility is key.

Lastly, having more meetings like this one is a stellar idea. Increase the frequency if possible; once a month or every 2-3 months would be ideal (first Saturday or Sunday of every month?). It's a flux between how many people can actually show up to make it worth it, and how often they're available so that people can take advantage of the opportunity and attend. I counted about 21 people including myself today which is also my sweet spot for players in a skirmish so I found the numbers to be quite comfortable. Not quite sure we're ready or even need to rent out a conference hall. Yet. :P

Forum Roles / Staff Revision

I'm also a big advocate for a chain-of-command for staff members. It'd be nice to have a clearer picture of what each person brings to the table so we know who to talk to for this-or-that issue. I'll outline something similar to the stuff I've used in the past:

IMPORTANT: Let's stop with the polls. I'm pretty sure a majority of the people at the meeting advocated for having new mods being chosen by the existing team. If you're President of a big business, do you want to put your reliable Vice President in your position when you retire, or the secretary everyone likes for their personality?

==Staff==

Administrator - Owner of the forums: that guy who manages the board, hosts it, keeps it funded, etc.

Forum Moderator - Mods who can manage any area of the forums. Should be reserved for seasoned members that know enough people to be recognized, but capable enough to actually put in work to hold things together. These are the people that we can depend on to do stuff like hosting meetings, assisting EOs in scheduling games, easing newcomers into the sport, and generally promoting the feeling of community we stand for. Not just desk-jockeys that approve registrations and ban a troll here and there.

Board Moderator - A watered-down forum moderator. Still have the same requirements, with the addition of being well-versed in their board-of-expertise so-to-speak (ignore my overuse of hyphens). Can limit themselves to a single area of the forums and as I said, have their name be passed to anyone that needs particular advice for that section's theme. Also allows people with time constraints to focus on one thing.

==Members==

Field Owner - Members who currently own, maintain, and allow EOs to host games on their property.

Event Organizer - Members who possess the capability and experience to host consistent and enjoyable games.

Team Leader - Members who own a decently-sized and organized team of players (this way you know who to send your resume to).

==Sellers==

Trusted Seller - Simple: for people that have received enough positive feedback and well-communicated sales that can be depended on to deliver smooth transactions.

Authorized Seller - Should remain as-is.

New Board Suggestions

Gonna make it quick as I have to leave in a bit, but this is just my personal idea of what the forums should look like:

I'll highlight what I'd like to see (again, my opinion; not demanding they be added) in green.

Merging Sub-Forums - Simply put, it'd be better to have as many things under one roof as possible. Unless there are just as many threads for say, GBBs and NBBs, there's no need for one or the other. I didn't even know there *was* boards for Movies and Real Guns until I had to squint to see them.

==Events==

Indiana Games

Out-of-State Games

Event Planning

Debriefs - Discussions, stories, reviews, etc. all under one megathread per each game.

==General==

Airsoft Indiana Portal - Large forum filled with sticky topics that link to other areas of AI (Facebook / social media, a store?, chatroom, etc.) 

Newbie Guides - A compilation of helpful resources, videos, tutorials, etc.

Introductions

Teams - For established teams in-state

Looking For Teams - For players that are in need of a long-term squad

General Discussion

==Weapons==

Electric

Gas

Spring

Custom

Wall of Infamy

Gear - Moving gear here seems to fit better since it's surrounded by techs, guides, reviews, etc.

==Classifieds==

Selling

Buying

Seller Reviews

Retailers

==Off-Topic==

Forum Input

Real Steel

Media - Television, movies, books

Gaming - PC / Console / Handheld games

Wall of Infamy - In my experience, having a "hall of shame" type board is never a good idea. Trolls need to be banned and their posts hidden rather than paraded. A grim example is school shooters doing their thing because regardless of the negativity of their attention; it's still attention they crave. It's ok to talk or laugh about a particular person or event in person, but drama is not something you want to put out for all to see.

I think that covers everything on my mind. Please hit me up with feedback as to whether or not what I said sounds good or bad. I'm still young and a bit of an idealist so I need some realistic advice.

Edited by Snuffles

Man, I love being on call for work 24/7. Looks like I missed great pizza and a great time again. This probably goes in the After Action Report section, but I don't remember since it's a community meeting, lol

Personally I don't find myself posting as much because all of my questions or comments are really niche or weird; But, when I do have a question that can be answered, the veterans do a good job taking care of it.

Winter has always been a slow season for AI. It's the time of year in which people curl up next to the logs and wait for the storm to blow over. Winter is hard on guns, gear, and people. Primarily plastic components.

As for active communications, chat room used to be pretty lively. You can sometimes start a party if you sit in it for long enough now. Personally I'd love to see a Discord tab added to the IP.Board interface.

Discord is easy to learn and easy to use.  I'm partial to TS3 though.

I probably should've mentioned my concerns in the meeting thread, but I initially intended on being armed only with my ears, not with a list of suggestions or talking points.

• Better communication and go-betweening with field owners. (There's an event in FEB coming up in Greenwood at the battlegrounds facility for example, but nobody has gone through the channels to see if it can be posted here.)
  • General recruiting and guidelines, (Avoiding poaching, etc)
  • "Business" card for AI forum? Would be a neat way of dragging new/unknown people from more public events on other sites. I'm handy with Photoshop, Paint.net, Gimp, etc.
  • Shared/Managed Youtube channel for AI news and recruiting? (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4628007?hl=en) We have plenty of talented content creators that can collectively contribute
  • Updated forum background (Again.) It would go a long way on giving AI a new look. (IIRC, pictures have to be larger than 2000x2000.)
Edited by Sturm

First off, I'm an idiot and put down the meeting on Jan 21 not today. :facepalm: So I apologize for not making it today. Reading through the early posts here, it seems like some good stuff was discussed. I have some thoughts on the items but I'll wait for others to talk about their thoughts as well.

The main things I want to see come together from what was discussed at the meeting today was the "round table" approach, and getting the larger, organized games set up again, and getting the word out for said games. Marketing the events really needs to see a boost, to get more attention drawn to the existence of the forum and its events. I liked Echo's proposal of members that regularly get out to new games at different fields to brig some AI pew pew patches with them, and really act as a sort of ambassador to other players and field owners to get them interested in working more with AI groups and attracting AI players. To tie into that a little is the round table approach. There needs to be a relatively large scale discussion group composed of EO's, field owners, moderators, and player veterans of the community, to really get a feel for the direction the community reps feel that events should go, and to really get some player input into what goes right and what goes wrong and what issues should be addressed more, and what style of game players would like to see or EO's and FO's would like to see and test.

On the topic of the larger scale events, we need more players to step up into roles where they can assist with running events and hosting events. On that note, I am greatly looking forward to the event tentatively set for the 4th of March that 3G is working on. I feel that will be a great step in the right direction, and a great way to shake off the winter blues, while helping to spur some more discussion and life into the direction the community needs to be heading.

We also discussed looking into a better relationship with Indy Battlegrounds, part of which involved our community bringing forth refs for airsoft events. This will require some players to sit the event out voluntarily, but to keep it fair, potentially having 2 teams of refs for events like this at BG, where they alternate which group of referees will be overseeing play in order for the other group to be able to play. That said, I'll gladly step in to referee games when and where needed. That said, better relationships need to be built with the staff running BG. If 2-3 larger scale days could be hosted this year at Battlegrounds, days that leave a positive experience both for player and for the staff at BG, we could potentially look into working with them for years to come rather than just wondering when the next big open play there might occur.

Wayne county Airsoft, anyone close to there willing to see who is in charge of the show there?

And as far as fields in general go, I am excited to see what the year holds at and for MCC.

Something else I really think should be noted from the meeting was that no matter who you may think you are, is that at any moment you should be willing to help another player out with an issue they have. Anything from advice to tech help, or even water at a game. Just help your fellow player out, it can honestly make a difference in everyone's experience. Especially with younger players and those new to the sport. If they feel unwelcomed and shunned, we will not retain players. Even something as simple as a pat on the back to some kid out with his new christmas gear who is super stoked about getting 3 players out before he was hit, give that kid a high five and tell him keep up the good work. Positive experiences on the field will keep players coming back.

I also like the idea of setting moderators to police a small section of the boards, rather than relying on all mods to monitor all sections. On top of that, there should be a constant communication thread between present moderation staff, to help keep an eye on the boards and facilitate discussion for happenings on the boards and facebook pages.

I apologize for the ADD-esque nature of this post, been a long day of driving.

PS, I did like Echo's suggestion of getting more review-related content up on the boards, even for older gear. Have a piece of gear that's served you great over the years of abuse and misuse? share your thoughts on it! I also know that while Arc, Devil, Modext?, Snuffles, and myself were at the surplus store after the meeting we had discussed setting up packing lists for 2 day events (both constant in field MSW style ((Harvest?)) and blind fury or pandora style) to help newer players get an idea of what is useful to have and what could be deadweight at the event. Additionally, having a large player representation at events like pandora can really help to draw attention to the AI boards.

PPS, as always, glad to see old faces at the meeting, and even happier to see new ones, especially those that put in their 2 cents on topics. Input is valuable from all players, be it from those who have been doing this for "too damn long" or even those who have been at this for just a couple of months. Different perspectives are valuable for seeing potential solutions from different angles.

Edited by AceReaper

I actually run several Counterstrike servers and a TeamSpeak server on one of my Linux boxes in Chicago if anyone is interested in using it.

Sad I had to miss it, mandatory OT decided to rear its ugly, profitable head.

I'll reach out to the Wayne County Airsoft guys. I know a lot of them have don't play as much due to real life obligations, and those that do head to Ohio since they live on the border. I'll do what I can to try and get them posting and playing again.

I'll reach out to the Wayne County Airsoft guys. I know a lot of them have don't play as much due to real life obligations, and those that do head to Ohio since they live on the border. I'll do what I can to try and get them posting and playing again.

I had the opportunity to play at the Predator Airsoft field in Wayne County this last summer. It was a good experience for the most part and the field was absolutely fantastic. I hope they continue to host games there. 

I've reached out to Foxfire through FB messenger about the 4th of March. If we can get approval from him, then please 3rd group, get your stuff together and a scenario presentation to him ASAP. I will see what I can do with getting the northern guys down here.

As for yesterday, sorry to monopolize a lot of the speaking points. If I don't get it out there, I will explode, and that's an ugly thought.

Glad to see that there was some agreement on a more structured command and forum lay out. It will go a long way in changing the longevity and normal operations of the forums.

Please, please, please. Get together an AI marketing group. A few individuals with some extra time who can reach out and hype up events is all it's going to take.

Thanks for the time yesterday, good seeing all of you.

Sorry couldn't make it work sucks. There is an open play game at battleground February 4th if anyone would like to talk to management about hosting larger events eith community refs, laim miller and iac staff are going im praying they dont screw anything up.

Sorry couldn't make it work sucks. There is an open play game at battleground February 4th if anyone would like to talk to management about hosting larger events eith community refs, laim miller and iac staff are going im praying they dont screw anything up.

Battleground? Where is this? Not MTAC, I hope...

Red, Indy Battleground is the paintball field in Greenwood. Someone posted the event to the Facebook page, but we should get something posted in the event section a well.

I actually run several Counterstrike servers and a TeamSpeak server on one of my Linux boxes in Chicago if anyone is interested in using it.

Discord would be better since it's browser based, free hosting, user friendly, and there's not many gamers that use the app. I have one set up; just need a go ahead.

Discord would be better since it's browser based, free hosting, user friendly, and there's not many gamers that use the app. I have one set up; just need a go ahead.

I can appreciate that. I just can't stand Discord's UI, lol.

Ayy lmao, here's the Official(?) meeting write up, was busy with school work and was unable to post it the last two days.

AI meeting Jan 17th 

---General Notes---         

-Team Spartan has straightened out recently and hopefully will continue.

-Vets, you should try to take players under your wings. They may be annoying, they may ask those questions you hear all the time, but the thing is; that is the first time they'asked it and the first time they'll hear the answer so don't shrug it off and give them a barebones answer but break it down and show them, they are more likely to absorb that                    knowledge and help others with it, they're our future help them be something to be proud of.

-On the same topic,this is to everyone: Be Welcoming. Seriously, if you see that guy standing alone in the staging area in the woodland BDU's from his dad's closet and the Blackops WalMart m4 go over to him, talk to hima and welcome him to run with you at the game. If they're a younger player and they come back mind blown from killing 4  guys in a building give the dude a high five and a congrats, make em' feel wanted and welcome to the community.

-if you don't have a radio, get one, it helps everyone soooooooo much if you can talk with your team and your team can talk with you (Baofeng 5R and UV82 are great budget radios)

---New fields---              

MTAC in Muncie:         

-$20 Open Play games
       -You get a full day of play with minimal time between games
       -Offers legit CQB training by licensed  for an affordable price utilizing airsoft guns as training rifles/pistols
       -Possibly get an AI group up there to go for training
       -Eric (owner) is fully open to airsofters input on games and is willing to work with us, he knows he doesn't know anything about airsoft and doesn't try to act like he does. If there are problems with the open play games bring it up with him and it can be changed
       -Games are currently run by Hot Lips Hoolehan

-Possible 5v5 team tournament hosted later this year

Claypool field in Muncie:
       -Work in progress
       -If a Build day or two we're hosted out there to cut the underbrush/low tree branches a bit to make it where you can at least stand bent over on 80% of the field and add some more structure/barricades it can become a great field for northern players.

Wayne County Airsoft in Richmond:
       -Not new but re-emerging
       -Not much is known but if we could find out whose running the games we can try to get them to post games on the boards as well as get games out there more often.

IPB in Greenwood(on 37):
      -AI leaders should work with the owner of IBP to see about hosting a game or two there.
      -If an AI member were to host a game there they would need to provide their own refs and provide a full event scenario, event timeline and objectives. Refs being the biggest part of this.

----Getting back into the swing of having large, structured games instead of a bunch of small open play---           

-Anybody can host a game. Get with a seasoned EO or ask in the forum for help and someone who has experience will help you. If we only rely on the same people to host then not many games will happen due to personal schedules or personal things that pop up.
        -At one time AI was hosting larger scenario games at least a couple times a year and recently it has "only been" the smaller open play games. If anybody would like to step up and try to host one of these games, EOs would be glad to help put it together.
        -3G will be hosting a larger event later this year

---Player and/or forum issues---          

-Community interaction is at an all time low.
     -Ideas of a discord or teamspeak are being brought up, but this will take interaction off of the forum and place it in another entity. Should a discord be made it could render the forum useless and, like the facebook group, detract interaction from the forum causing even less communication on the boards themselves.
     - Community needs more interaction, people lose interest due to it not being interesting
    -Getting AI to large scale games (Blind Fury, Pandora, etc)
       We are a community and we as a community should focus on going to large scale games to build relations within the community.
              Pandora's Box
              Black Jack

Any game hosted by one of our own
              Blind Fury replacement game(?)

Conflicts 3(?)
       All examples of games we should try to plan for and get a good community attendance

---Keeping current fields available---           

Foxfire burnt himself out last year hosting games at MCC but never being able to play. If we want to keep games going at Mutual Combat as well as other fields (such as Joker's Circus) Other Community members will need to try their hand at hosti so field owners can take a break and be able to play and in turn continue to be present within the community.

---Changes Coming to the forums---                       

-The form will be changing a little.(all of these are subject to change, points brought up during meeting but not solidified)

-A round table of a few core members will be formed (Possibly consisting of Mods, Field owners, Well Known Team Leaders, Community Leaders and EOs)

-THEIR JOB: plan out games for the year, attend community meetings, act as the voice of the player's (representatives) among other things that will be fleshed out

-PR people (Read: Hype Men) for AI games may be made/chosen soon, Your Job: hype up events, make videos of/about games, post AARs, post on social media regularly, direct traffic to the forums, be an active community member, embrace Honor, Integrity and others, build up the community and get people excited about airsoft.

-Splitting up of Mod duties. EXAMPLE: Endgame- Classifieds, WTB, buyer/seller reviews      Harv- Indiana, out of state games, and game planning

- MORE COMMUNITY MEETINGS up to 4 a year to allow for maximum turn out of players that may be unable to make it to a single meeting due to work or life.

---Questions to the Forum Members---                   

What we can do to make players WANT to come play with the Indiana guys?
What do we need to do to get more traffic and community interaction on the forums?

What can the community leaders do to improve the forum experience?

​What changes can be made to the forum UI to improve forum member happiness?

What do we need to do to get more traffic and community interaction on the forums?

There is a game tentatively set for March 4th hosted by Third Group that will act as an open play w/ scenario elements enforcing MILSIM-like rules and swap meet(trade n' sell yer guns).

Firefox said March 4th is cool. 3rd group contact him please.

Just contacted him, we plan on having an event write-up by the end of the month.

Edited by Tomahawk

This is the first airsoft forum I have been a part of, but I have been on many other forums. Of all the forums I have seen, the most successful and active ones have their off-topic/random sections at the top, and they are typically the most active sections as well.

Piggy backing off the notes that Tomahawk posted, here is an EXCELLENT video of how to interact with players who are young or new to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4rEoTJttSc

This is the type of interaction that makes people excited to keep coming back.

-if you don't have a radio, get one, it helps everyone soooooooo much if you can talk with your team and your team can talk with you (Baofeng 5R and UV82 are great budget radios)

Echo mentioned a great radio for first timers to get. It's still a little pricey compared to radios you would get at an electronics store, but very much worth the money for what you are getting.

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Power-Extended-Warranty-Dual-Band-Transceiver/dp/B00RNGB83M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484509821&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Baofeng+radio+with+extended+battery+and+antenna&psc=1

Also, thank you to everyone that showed up. Even though the turn out was pretty low for a community meeting, the fact that very new players actually came out and gave their two cents on the topics at hand shows a lot about who we have coming into the activity.

Echo, no need to apologize, you have a lot of good insight and ideas to share. That is always welcome.

Piggy backing off the notes that Tomahawk posted, here is an EXCELLENT video of how to interact with players who are young or new to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4rEoTJttSc

This is the type of interaction that makes people excited to keep coming back.

^^^^^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE, watch it and replicate it. as he said: we were all noobs at one point

Been a minute since I posted here...

Well, I used to be really active on the boards, but then life took over. I've been doing Grunt shit away from home for the past couple years, and that's pretty much made anything Indiana related a non-priority. That's about to change.

I'd be more than happy to help referee events, help younger guys get acquainted, help with construction days, and just help in general.

I've been fortunate enough to attend some very good courses that aren't necessarily available to the common man. So, I've thought about running a couple fun classes this spring/summer/fall for anyone who wants to learn some legit MOUT, small unit tactics for fire and move/maneuver, hand signals, formations, the proper use, and programming of radios...really anything related to basic Infantry knowledge. I wouldn't charge anything to do it, obviously. I'd just need enough attendance to make it worth my time. It'd be good for everyone..new guys, and veterans, including myself.

I'm pretty much an open book. If I'm needed for something, feel free to message me, and I'll try my best to help out. I'm having my knee replaced this spring, so I'll be laid up for a little bit, but I'm open to help in whatever way I can after that.

Edited by SASQUATCH
  • Upvote 2

Well, I used to be really active on the boards, but then life took over. I've been doing Grunt shit away from home for the past couple years, and that's pretty much made anything Indiana related a non-priority. That's about to change.

I'd be more than happy to help referee events, help younger guys get acquainted, help with construction days, and just help in general.

I've been fortunate enough to attend some very good courses that aren't necessarily available to the common man. So, I've thought about running a couple fun classes this spring/summer/fall for anyone who wants to learn some legit MOUT, small unit tactics for fire and move/maneuver, hand signals, formations, the proper use, and programming of radios...really anything related to basic Infantry knowledge. I wouldn't charge anything to do it, obviously. I'd just need enough attendance to make it worth my time. It'd be good for everyone..new guys, and veterans, including myself.

I'm pretty much an open book. If I'm needed for something, feel free to message me, and I'll try my best to help out. I'm having my knee replaced this spring, so I'll be laid up for a little bit, but I'm open to help in whatever way I can after that.

That sounds good. I'd like to learn some new stuff.

Doing legit SWAT CQB training at MTAC was a treat; I'd like to see what infantry stuff is like as well. Count me in if and when you host that.