Tracer Talk

Rex

After a lengthy search, I was unable not find a post offering in-depth information related to airsoft tracer units, bbs, tactics..etc (Praying to the forum gods that I am correct). Therefore, I decided to create this thread as I may have recently purchased a TM Gen 2 tracer unit. My goal for this discussion is to hear from seasoned player's experience with various brands and types of tracer units as well as their experience with the various brands of bbs currently and previously available. I personally plan to utilize the tracer for indoor play as I have difficulty tracking my bbs, and because I want to shoot lasers while making star wars references. One of my first concerns relates to the difficulty to find heavier weight tracer bbs in stock. Please weigh in!

There's a few companies that make heavier than .25, ElderBB being one of them IIRC. There's some QC issues right now with them.

A google should reveal a good comparison on the bbs themselves and the illumination they provide; I've had good experience with Goldenball .25 tracers and my Xcortech X3300W. It's extremely bright, not sure if it's the brightest available though. The tracer ammo at SpecOpsGroup in Martinsville was pretty neat, but I didn't get the chance to test it in pitch black. Ideally I'd alternate my Green tracers with Red.

Edited by Sturm

I'll look into the Madbull .25s. I've noticed that a fair number of websites are completely sold out of their tracer BBS over .12g. Does Spec Ops carry the Valken tracers? I've heard fairly mixed reviews on those.

I'll look into the Madbull .25s. I've noticed that a fair number of websites are completely sold out of their tracer BBS over .12g. Does Spec Ops carry the Valken tracers? I've heard fairly mixed reviews on those.

IIRC They carry .20 Tracers, but hey, they are at least allowed on the field. I've heard the same. When I replace my batteries in my Caliper I'll get a review out sometime on the rental ammo.

Also I screwed up, the .25 tracers I use are actually Goldenball, lol

Try JustAirsoftAmmo.

Edited by Sturm
  • Upvote 1

I decided to go ahead and purchase a bag of Elder BB .25 tracers because of their availability and reasonable price. 

Has anyone had experience with the TM gen 2. tracer unit? I've read mostly great reports but I have heard concerns over its longevity. I'm also a little worried about the threading being plastic and not metal. 

Tracer units aren't super commonplace in Airsoft, but hella useful for nighttime games. You can also install a tracer unit system directly inside the hopup chamber as well.

Brightness wise TM tracers are somewhere at the top - if not The top, with madbull tracers right below. I can't really speak for the durability though.

The newer contenders are the Xcortech X3300W and Angel Customs offerings on Evike (Not sure as to the quality of AC tracres), and I can personally say that the Xcortech X3300W is pretty darn bright, probably around the TM for brightness.

I don't have any information as to the illumination quality of .25 Elder BB tracers, as most of the available tests were performed on more established brands a couple years back, but that also can influence the overall effectiveness of the system.

Hopefully a forum God can grace you with an answer to plastic thread durability, but otherwise, we can compare tracer units in person next time we go to an event. I almost always keep mine available because of the Chrono feature.

Edited by Sturm

Brightness wise TM tracers are somewhere at the top - if not The top, with madbull tracers right below. I can't really speak for the durability though.

The newer contenders are the Xcortech X3300W and Angel Customs offerings on Evike (Not sure as to the quality of AC tracres), and I can personally say that the Xcortech X3300W is pretty darn bright, probably around the TM for brightness.

Hopefully a forum God can grace you with an answer to plastic thread durability, but otherwise, we can compare tracer units in person next time we go to an event. I almost always keep mine available because of the Chrono feature.

I looked into the Xcoretech but went with the TM primarily due to price ($75 v. $125). I really found the BB counter impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

I now believe that the TM tracer will not fit inside the rails of my g&g Predator which is sad because my gemtech mock suppressor fits (and looks quite good if I may say so). Therefore, I'll need to consider an outer barrel extension and I was wondering if I should be concerned about the BB hitting the inside of the extension.

If you are extending the outer barrel "permanently" and then putting on the tracer unit and worried about the bb hitting anything within that extra 10ish inches, a longer inner barrel will solve the issue. Whether or not the issue will be prevalent wont be known until you actually see if it happens, and that will ultimately depend on your desired hop-up setting for range.

Little necro here. I picked up a tracer unit this weekend. Not sure what brand. It is great. Had some issues with it. But then I realized the inner tube had moved and blocked the sensor. But it works great. Soooo fun. Looking at getting some red bbs next. What are the best brand of gitd bbs? I was having trouble feeding the valken bbs in midcaps.

I purchased a bag of .25g ElderBB tracer rounds. Unfortunately, they aren't great and my TM tracer unit struggles to fully illuminate the BB (unlike the .2g TM tracer bbs that came with the unit). The primary issue that I have found is that most retailers appear to constantly out of stock of their heavier tracer rounds.