Callsigns & Usernames

Joker

Call sign

: the combination of identifying letters, letters and numbers, or words assigned to an operator, office, activity, vehicle, or station for use in communication (as in the address of a message sent by radio)

Posting this in hopes of clearing up some confusion. In today's world driven by cell phones, social media, and gamertags I think some of the younger generations are unfamiliar with callsigns.

In Airsoft we generally refer to one another via these callsigns. Either in written form on forums, verbal form face to face, or in game over a radio.

A callsign is essentially a unique (hopefully) nickname that is typically given to you by your fellow Airsoft players or friends. Others simply choose one for themselves. They usually represent a trait or accomplishment of the player. Some are simply variations of the players name. For example mine is Joker, this was a nickname given to me by family and friends years before I started playing Airsoft. At a young age I had a reputation for being a class clown, I was obsessed with all things comics/nerdy especially Batman and Joker (long before it was cool like it is today haha), and maybe a touch crazy. So Joker was and is very fitting.

I say all of that to say this. My callsign is Joker and when I create an account on a forum such as this I want my username to be my callsign. Because that's what people are going to see and identify you with when you make posts. So if you have signed up on here with the username PewPewAirsoftNoob but your callsign is something like Grey Ghost, chances are you will be remembered as PewPewAirsoftNoob. So I would recommend you change your username to match your callsign.

Other advice I offer to you is to keep your callsign/username short. If it's something long or hard to say or remember the community will shorten it, especially when communicating on the Airsoft field. It should be something we can pronounce. You don't want something like wtf69grrr because if we try to get your attention on the field it will quickly become "hey you!". You should be creative with your callsign if you are choosing one for yourself. You don't want to choose something that someone else already is known by, it adds confusion and some see it as a little disrespectful.

TL:DR

Callsign = username

I hope this helps some of you out. Good luck.

~Joker

Edited by Joker

Quality post. I've noticed some of what you've mentioned on here happening and I was kinda confused what was going on. The other thing I would suggest is trying to consider something fairly unique and personable. Its hard to remember which guy is "Ghost Wolf" when there are a ton of variations on that name. Also, consider that at a game, people are not going to call the full callsign and it will be shortened to just one or the other words. People often don't refer to me as Nebanon, but rather Neb. Be creative and take into consideration how your name will be utilized and sound being shouted out at a field. Personally, if you have a silly call sign or an unremarkable one, I will typically revert to "Hey you!" :wub:

The best part about a separate username and callsign is that your reputation under the buyer/seller section will forever be mismatched. It's not easy to remember two names.

Don't do what I did... lol

Edited by ProPain

I think of having two names as kind of an identity crisis.  You don't know what to call yourself on the field and in the forums, so you just run with it.

I started off as Spectre (from SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals fame) back on the IAA boards many a moon ago, but changed my name to Endgame (insert long story why here) and then when I thought to change it back for whatever reason, Spectre's ass shows up (Senor Eppich) and takes my name...but, it's all good since my callsign had already been established and people knew me on sight already.

• 2 years later...

Good advice Joker. I used my screen name Whitedog, luckily there is a hidden meaning behind it so I wont be bothered if people start calling me Whitedog. I was waiting for someone to be yelling you cant give yourself your own call sign but glad to see it is acceptable. Granted I would keep in mind to be unique and helps to have a reason behind the name.

Good advice Joker. I used my screen name Whitedog, luckily there is a hidden meaning behind it so I wont be bothered if people start calling me Whitedog. I was waiting for someone to be yelling you cant give yourself your own call sign but glad to see it is acceptable. Granted I would keep in mind to be unique and helps to have a reason behind the name.

Hello, the last response in this post was 2.5 years ago. General rule of thumb on the forum is to avoid necroposting, aka posting on a thread after 3 months of it being inactive, unless valuable information is being added (e.g. Informing others that the mosfet that was being discussed will no longer be produced, providing a solution to an unsolved tech issue, etc).

Hello, the last response in this post was 2.5 years ago. General rule of thumb on the forum is to avoid necroposting, aka posting on a thread after 3 months of it being inactive, unless valuable information is being added (e.g. Informing others that the mosfet that was being discussed will no longer be produced, providing a solution to an unsolved tech issue, etc).

90% of the forum is a Necro post these days..      Pretty sure he was getting his required posts in to be able to post he was attending a event.   Something I think we should look into changing asap.    A lot of our forum safeguards where great when we had lots of traphic...   We dont have near that these days..   Im personally working on fixing that.