The Openscope (3D Printed Digital Monocular)

MattGyver

Finally! :D

OpenScope DVS-14 V1.3

OpenScope DVS-14 V1.3

I've completed the monster as of last week. I made a post awhile back about a previous design iteration of this, but it's come a long way even since then. I've built a compact 3D printable digital night vision monocular.

I'm still going through photos of the build. Design was loosely based off of the PVS-14 monocular. This iteration is probably around 30% smaller than V1.2 in my last post on here. Enclosure is 3D printed using black PLA and NinjaFlex TPU for the eyecup. Uses an adafruit 1.5" dia TFT NTSC screen with a CMOS camera (IR filter removed). Also, employs the use of a 10mm IR LED (850nm ish, so you get a bit of visible red glow), however I'm looking to move to something weaker since this washes out the middle of the picture. Grayhill switch is used to select continuous operation or automatic tilt operation using the screw terminal contacts near the brass 1/4" 20 TPI J-arm mount. When used in automatic and mounted to a J-arm, the optic will only turn on when lowered into position in front of the user's face. When lifted, the optic will shut off.

OpenScope DVS-14 V1.3

OpenScope DVS-14 V1.3

For distance, the screen is low-res due to its small size, so 50-75 feet illuminated with the IR.

OpenScope DVS-14 V1.3

OpenScope DVS-14 V1.3

I've also estimated it should run for about 3 hours off of a fresh 9V battery. But keep reading...

I called it the OpenScope due to the modular nature of the optic. The battery box, power switch, camera, and IR emitter/switch can be unplugged from the wiring and swapped with alternate parts. So the battery, IR emitter, and camera lens can be swapped.

The video input/output from the camera to the screen also runs through a connector (I just have a special jumper until I have other peripherals ready to send or receive a video signal).

OpenScope DVS-14 V1.3

This means inputting camera feeds from wireless RC aircraft, ground vehicles, sentry turrets, camera spikes, Raspberry Pi or outputting to a recording device, transmitter, or to an Arduino with a video HUD overlay board and feeding it back to the display for a rudimentary programmable custom HUD system.

The camera on the front also accepts any micro 6mm board camera lens to get 2x, 3x, fisheye, or even a verifocal lens for adjustable zoom/focus on the fly. That means you can zoom in and get more detail on that tiny screen.

The battery box for the 9V battery can be swapped with a box that runs a cable to a larger battery box that can be worn on the back of a helmet (also doubling as a counter weight). I've calculated that a 1800 mAH NiMH rechargeable airsoft AEG battery could be used to operate the optic for nearly 12 hours. I also intend to try a 2000 mAH NiMH rechargeable battery.

The size is great. The magnification I have currently set up feels very close to natural (so much so that the pictures line up in both eyes quite nicely). The optic is also feather light due to the plastic enclosure. It's even comfortable to use with the right eyepro.

Probably not much for waterproof integrity yet. (Sorry)

Distortion could be reduced with a better eyepiece lens like an aspherical, but I couldn't find one cheap enough to try.

I'm working on being able to insert one or maybe even two lasercut acrylic color filters or reticles to reduce eye strain, light leakage, and allow for a built in aiming device should I make a windage/elevation mount. Looking through it for even a few minutes and taking it off to look around in a brighter area feels like wearing dark sunglasses on the eye you've been using it with (Green NVG's cause a more purplish after image). I believe this is caused by the color cone cells in the retina getting tired as well as the iris constricting from the brighter picture.

Hopefully soon I'll be releasing the optic CAD files, wiring schematic, parts list, etc. as an open source project (OpenScope) on the instructables website. I'm currently combing through photos, creating technical illustrations, working on a logo, and continuing CAD design for peripheral modular components to keep this thing exciting and moving. 

OpenScope DVS-14 V1.3

So, keep an eye out. There's more awesomeness to come.

-MG out.

I'm not going to pretend to understand all of those words... But it looks awesome, and looks to work just as well. If its going open source I may someday attempt it. 

• 1 month later...

How durable is that? If you were wearing it and fell then subsequently hit the Openscope, would it break easily? I'm intrigued by this home made device...

• 2 weeks later...

Eh. I would assume it's not that great since it's almost entirely plastic with 10% infill to further reduce weight. The rubber eyecup would help protect my face from impacting the back of the optic along with my goggles. The threaded J-arm mount would likely break in addition to damaging the camera lens at the front if it hit the ground, but the mount is a separate unit and can be re-printed and replaced along with installing new lens should it scratch or break.

Depending on the force, it could also fracture or break the LCD display and/or the eyepiece lens (also replaceable). They do have carbon fiber/kevlar printing nowadays though as well as high strength resin materials that could possibly create a stronger enclosure.

I almost walked into a lake once during a night game. Since I was using a homemade starlight scope on my AEG and holding it to my face to see where I was walking. Hence why I decided to build a 1x digital helmet unit.

I've built some new stuff for it which works out great, so I'll post an update soon. Still working on figuring out if I'm clear from ITAR restrictions by publishing the enclosure files.

Best,

-MG

• 5 months later...

You may have mentioned it, but what program are you using to create? I have tinkered around with Blender, but wasn't sure if that is something that can be used for 3d? Anyway, great job. It's a thing of beauty! Big fan of ingenuity!

Keep up the good work man!

• 2 weeks later...

You may have mentioned it, but what program are you using to create? I have tinkered around with Blender, but wasn't sure if that is something that can be used for 3d? Anyway, great job. It's a thing of beauty! Big fan of ingenuity!

Keep up the good work man!

SketchUp. I use SketchUp for almost all of my CAD since it's free and I've been using it for a long time. I highly recommend trying it out. :)

-MG

I wanted to post a general update on this project since it's been awhile.

First, I gave the project a logo.

OpenScope Project Logo

I'm also going to hopefully publish a public version of the CAD and full build write up in the near future.

Unfortunately, I have decided to remove the mounting interfaces for the public version.

I was hearing a lot of concerns from some of my close mentors and consultants that publishing 3D CAD with a mounting interface could get me into trouble, and I would like to avoid that since I'm just a bored airsofter who likes designing this stuff for fun and mean no harm. Removing the mount simplifies the wiring, allows me to make the design even more compact, and reduces the complexity to print and build one.

OpenScope Enclosure

OpenScope Enclosure

I'm hoping you guys understand the real world concerns behind that design change and I apologize if anyone is disappointed. Either way, the optic still works great and there's always duct tape or good old fashioned nuts and bolts for now.

I'll keep you posted when there's more to show.

-MG