Polarstar Dmr - What Say Ye?

cardkid2331

I've done quite a bit of research on this myself, scoured forums & Youtube, but wanted to run this by you guys in case you had some solid advice.  What I don't want to do is make an expensive mistake and end up with a gun that can't achieve what I want it to, or not be allowed to play with.  I ran into that with a KJW M700 I converted to HPA and was heavily invested in.  Long story short, it was not a wise choice for a sniper base due to quality variations and other things.

However, I really enjoyed sniping and the HPA setup.  More so, I can appreciate the ability to follow up quickly with additional shots, so let's make the best of both worlds: an HPA DMR.

I am not so great mechanically, and I don't enjoy working on guns as much as I do shooting people with them....ha.  So going with a drop in P* Fusion Engine sounds amazing to me as I can eliminate all gearbox and motor tinkering.

Here is what I'm planning:

-Krytac SPR (I have one, I love it (performance and function), and know the hop up works fairly well so I can upgrade it later if needed).  But I'll be buying a second Krytac for this project because I always want my stock Krytac AEG to fall back on)

-Polarstar Fusion Engine with Silver Nozzle (Goal: 450 FPS)

-420-450mm Prommy 6.03 Barrel (later...as budget allows).  I know there is controversy, but it seems this length can yield best results

-Prowin Hop Up, M Nub, & R Hop (later, as budget allows)

-Mock suppressor to cover up extended barrel

My concerns:

1.  I see some events saying DMRs require a full stock?  The crane stock on the Krytac isn't small by any means, and can be adjusted to be as long if not longer as a full stock.  With the extended barrel I'm planning and the stock extended, this is quite a long gun.  But will some fields not allow this?

2.  "Semi-Only."  I know I can adjust the FCU, but it appears some event organizers won't trust folks.  Is there anything else I can do to change it to semi-only?  I was thinking of making slots in the stock and rear stock cover so that the cover could be zip tied onto the stock, as a "tournament" lock.  So far, everyone just zip ties my backpack that my HPA tank is in, so this seems like the same thing.

3.  Maybe I should be starting with a lesser expensive gun, since the gearbox and most of the other internals are just going away anyway?  I just really like the length and feel of the SPR.

Was looking at this: http://www.airrattle.com/PolarStar-4CRL-VFC-p/2280004.htm - Can this rail be removed and replaced with something more like the SPR?

If anyone has any ideas...I'm all ears.

Edited by cardkid2331

Well I have done more homework on this very subject then a care to admit.. I have a few snipers and a Dmr now..  Here is my honest opionion on it.  I plan on selling off my Dmr's and going to all Basr.  Why you ask.  Well most fields and big games are going to semi only and a good part of them are limiting any gun that is not a bolt to 400.  Even at that your only allowed 450fps on most fields for a dmr.  The cost and loss of full auto when allowed is not worth the small amount of advantage 50fps will allow we are taking very small amount of range over a well tuned aeg or hpa system.  This pretty much killed the dmr role for me.  Also much like support weapons many mil sim game will only allow a dmr that is also a real world gun.  I built a SL9. There is also the well known sr25, Psg-1,  there is a rs aug in a dmr configueration.  Now as far a locking out full auto.. it depends on the field owner and they system.  Most fields say Perminitly disabled which means no way to program it back in.  If you can program your fcu with the trigger its not going to cut it.  I know some of the Fcu can also limit your shots to 1 every 3 seconds which some feilds are going to.   Now here is a brutal honesty.  If you dont like messing with guns.. Sniping, Dmr and anything long range. is not for you.. There is so much testnig and tuning other then just dropping in a gearbox that needs done to make a system perform.  from R-hop tuning to alighnment to tuning the fcu its really a labor of love.   Not trying to deture you in any way just letting you know what it takes.. That beind said if you decide to bite the bullet and go for it im always happy to help any way I can.

Well I have done more homework on this very subject then a care to admit.. I have a few snipers and a Dmr now..  Here is my honest opionion on it.  I plan on selling off my Dmr's and going to all Basr.  Why you ask.  Well most fields and big games are going to semi only and a good part of them are limiting any gun that is not a bolt to 400.  Even at that your only allowed 450fps on most fields for a dmr.  The cost and loss of full auto when allowed is not worth the small amount of advantage 50fps will allow we are taking very small amount of range over a well tuned aeg or hpa system.  This pretty much killed the dmr role for me.  Also much like support weapons many mil sim game will only allow a dmr that is also a real world gun.  I built a SL9. There is also the well known sr25, Psg-1,  there is a rs aug in a dmr configueration.  Now as far a locking out full auto.. it depends on the field owner and they system.  Most fields say Perminitly disabled which means no way to program it back in.  If you can program your fcu with the trigger its not going to cut it.  I know some of the Fcu can also limit your shots to 1 every 3 seconds which some feilds are going to.   Now here is a brutal honesty.  If you dont like messing with guns.. Sniping, Dmr and anything long range. is not for you.. There is so much testnig and tuning other then just dropping in a gearbox that needs done to make a system perform.  from R-hop tuning to alighnment to tuning the fcu its really a labor of love.   Not trying to deture you in any way just letting you know what it takes.. That beind said if you decide to bite the bullet and go for it im always happy to help any way I can.

Thank you for the very detailed and fast reply.  You echoed a lot of my thoughts.  Here was my thinking on some of those:

1.  The 50 FPS tradeoff for full auto/semi-only.  Yeah..that doesn't seem like a lot.  And being honest, I don't know the exact number of yards it would add.  The only reason I wasn't considering this a big deal is because I normally shoot semi-auto anyway, or play on semi-only fields like MCC.  So in the back of my head, I was thinking it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

2.  Milsim - I've never took the plunge, and figured I would just use my AEG Krytac when that day comes.  But you make a good point about picking another platform.  I just have all M4 mags and parts, so I was trying to save some $$.

3.  Good points about the semi-only/FCU notes.  This is still my major concern.

4.  The tinkering.  Oh yes, I understand.  I've been tinkering with this sniper for months.  It's not that I mind that much, it's just that I don't necessarily enjoy it.  But maybe that is because I was set up for failure with this project.  So just removing the gearbox internals, eliminating the hassle of those breaking down over time, etc, sounded really nice to me.  I don't mind fine tuning the hop up.  I made several home made nubs for my KJW, put in the 3D printed HS5 chamber, and experimented with that for a long time.  The "game over" for me on that gun was when the mag catch pin fell out and cannot be found...I at least needed a time out for a bit.

Here was my biggest PRO.  As long as I don't ruin the FCU, at the end of the day I still have a well tuned Polarstar Krytac that I can bump the pressure down and move back to full auto.  Even if I somehow disable this on the FCU, I can get a new one for $75 and I still have a very decent M4, if not optimal (we'll see).

The alternative to this is a TM VSR-10 with a Mancraft of Wolverine bolt....

Edited by cardkid2331

Thank you for the very detailed and fast reply. You echoed a lot of my thoughts. Here was my thinking on some of those:

1. The 50 FPS tradeoff for full auto/semi-only. Yeah..that doesn't seem like a lot. And being honest, I don't know the exact number of yards it would add. The only reason I wasn't considering this a big deal is because I normally shoot semi-auto anyway, or play on semi-only fields like MCC. So in the back of my head, I was thinking it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

2. Milsim - I've never took the plunge, and figured I would just use my AEG Krytac when that day comes. But you make a good point about picking another platform. I just have all M4 mags and parts, so I was trying to save some $$.

3. Good points about the semi-only/FCU notes. This is still my major concern.

4. The tinkering. Oh yes, I understand. I've been tinkering with this sniper for months. It's not that I mind that much, it's just that I don't necessarily enjoy it. But maybe that is because I was set up for failure with this project. So just removing the gearbox internals, eliminating the hassle of those breaking down over time, etc, sounded really nice to me. I don't mind fine tuning the hop up. I made several home made nubs for my KJW, put in the 3D printed HS5 chamber, and experimented with that for a long time. The "game over" for me on that gun was when the mag catch pin fell out and cannot be found...I at least needed a time out for a bit.

Here was my biggest PRO. As long as I don't ruin the FCU, at the end of the day I still have a well tuned Polarstar Krytac that I can bump the pressure down and move back to full auto. Even if I somehow disable this on the FCU, I can get a new one for $75 and I still have a very decent M4, if not optimal (we'll see).

The alternative to this is a TM VSR-10 with a Mancraft of Wolverine bolt....

50fps has virtually nothing to do with range. Range is in your barrel/ hop up.

Just buy my P* krytac

See your right where I am with it. In the end you can always tune back to work tuned assault gun. Or for that matter the beauty of hpa change it from one game to the next to fit your needs

See your right where I am with it. In the end you can always tune back to work tuned assault gun. Or for that matter the beauty of hpa change it from one game to the next to fit your needs

That's what I thought was really cool about it.  Unlike going "full sniper", it can be used for anything else you want it to.  Shoot....

Well, what I would say, is get some cool DMR platform like a PSG-1, or one of the hot new DPMS licensed sr25, and jack it. Do a bunch of stuff to the barrel, R hop, stabilize, all the good stuff, and drop a jack or F1 in it. Will end in both a cool gun, and a effective gun.  

Well, what I would say, is get some cool DMR platform like a PSG-1, or one of the hot new DPMS licensed sr25, and jack it. Do a bunch of stuff to the barrel, R hop, stabilize, all the good stuff, and drop a jack or F1 in it. Will end in both a cool gun, and a effective gun.  

The only thing I would consider is an SR-25, which is a good suggestion.  I've looked around at them since you mentioned this and can't really land on one that would be "worth it" to me.  Either the hop up or the entire FE needs spacers, or the platform is either too expensive or has some negatives (depending on brand) like incompatibility with ideal aftermarket parts.  The only one that looks promising is the G&G GR25 which is $440+, and I just have a hard time dropping that much on the base.