Looking For A New Aeg

TEK

After I pay off a ticket, I will be looking for a new AEG and I want to get my options set early.

What I'm looking for:

• M4 Platform
  • Modern (not sci-fi)
  • The more unique, the better
  • at most, $300
  • color-wise, anything 2 or 3 tone
  • Reliable, accurate, yada-yada

I did some research and found a couple guns but I'm not 100% satisfied with everything I've seen

If you have something that you think matches these categories, throw it my way!

At the moment, my eyes are set on this

I've never really heard of APS and after some googling, I couldn't find many personal reviews on it. If you have any info on APS, please share!

If I do get that gun, I might want to paint all the multicam pieces black, here is a poorly done preview, the harder you squint, the more flush it looks. Do you think I should keep the multicam or paint it black?

(EDIT: I found a black version here, question on color still stands however)

(2nd EDIT: The link in the first Edit is from Hong Kong, so scratch that)

Edited by TEK

One of the guys at my local field had a APS. It burned up 2 or 3 triggers. Not sure if it was the model or the brand.

what size battery were they using ?

APS has a mixed reputation (seems like a LOT of negative feedback on their older stuff in particular), but I will chime in with my .02c..  I have two of their non-blowback M933's that I picked up from Evike when they were closing them out at $99.  I bought them as project guns assuming they might not last long in stock form, but they have been surprisingly robust so far and I have had great luck with them.  I also have an APS "dragonfly" ACP pistol that has been working wonderfully as well.

The stock hop-up units sucked, so I dropped a pro-win unit and a new bucking/flat nub into each and after that they have served me very well for the last year or so with zero issues.  One is shooting right at 400 FPS and the other I dropped an m90 into and have right around 310.  The quick change system in these is useful, however you do have to basically strip the gun all the way down and pull the gearbox to get to it (on mine anyway) so it definitely isn't as nice as an ICS or something with a truly easy system.  That said, it did save me from having to actually open the gearbox, so that is still a plus.  On the downside the quick change spring guide is proprietary and not metal (polycarb I believe).

The stock motors are also not great -  I haven't been bothered to put a high torque in either of mine yet but that would be the only other internal change I might make to mine until something breaks.  Since I still haven't had to actually crack the gearbox I can't say much about the internals besides that they have held up to my occasionally abusive use of full-auto on a 9.6v NiMH over the last year quite well.  They also came with stock tight bores, 6.04mm I believe.

Externally the metal receiver is markedly less nice as more expensive brands (for example my Elite Force/VFC 4CRL is 10000x nicer)  but plenty good enough for me - you will see in my photo below that some of the smaller parts of the gun like the mag release, etc. are an odd brown color but all of those are blinged out with gold on the one you are looking at.  I had zero issues fitting an airsoft replica (i.e. not gbbr/real steel) keymod rail on one of mine - no shimming, dremeling, etc. to get it to fit.

Overall I can't really say anything too negative about mine, but I would be I would be a bit nervous paying nearly $300 for that thing when you could get get something from a more consistently well-regarded brand like ICS (I'm a fanboy...), VFC, etc.  With this one I am fairly certain you are paying mostly for that sexy red paintjob, keymod rail, multicam furniture, etc. which is great on the unique front, but maybe not so much on performance and reliability compared to what else you could spend $300 on.

IMG_20160303_155223%201_zpsxddfaa6k.jpg

Edited by Spectra

Since I still haven't had to actually crack the gearbox I can't say much about the internals

Any input on their highly mentioned "Silver Edge Gearbox", is this like god-tier or some old, unreliable gearbox?

you are paying mostly for that sexy red paintjob

That's what sank the hook for me man, I really can't take my buying finger off it right now ;)

I also just discovered the dust cover doesn't close, is that an issue for an EBB rifle? 

Edited by TEK

I can't really give much meaningful feedback on the gearbox other than "it ain't broke yet".. sorry lol.  When I took the gearbox out of mine to pull the quick-change spring thing out it seemed like just about every other average V2 I've ever seen from the outside..  I'd expect the whole 'silver edge' thing is largely a game of buzzwords, but I doubt it is any worse than most gearboxes out there.

Honestly I about pulled the trigger on one of these a few months ago when I first saw it too so I can understand the temptation :D ...  Even though I've been pleasantly surprised with my two APS's I just really have a hard time justifying one at that price but again I don't know how much better their even newer and much higher priced rifles are compared to my bargain bin specials.  

I know I saw at least one person at Will's field last fall running a newer one, not sure who it was or if they are on here though... Maybe someone who has used something more comparable can chime in.

Edited by Spectra

Might've been me, Spectra. I've got the US division of APS, Javelin. AK-74 Tactical converted to Wood? Super fun with a drum.

EBBs are fun, but APS/Javelin might use the old style EBB system, which is attached to the piston IIRC. Expect harder wear and tear.

I love my AK, but it's sitting in it's box with torn bucking and seized gearbox ATM. Afraid to check piston.

Plastic and metal bits also are hard AF, pretty decent quality, especially for a project gun.

Edited by ProPainTank

Might've been me, Spectra. I've got the US division of APS, Javelin. AK-74 Tactical converted to Wood? Super fun with a drum.

EBBs are fun, but APS/Javelin might use the old style EBB system, which is attached to the piston IIRC. Expect harder wear and tear.

I love my AK, but it's sitting in it's box with torn bucking and seized gearbox ATM. Afraid to check piston.

Plastic and metal bits also are hard AF, pretty decent quality, especially for a project gun.

What's your verdict on APS, good or bad airsoft brand. I'm not looking to get a dead-end gun

Well, I personally have this, and I've got to say it's probably one of my favorite guns externally. Internally, I'll agree with many above that the hop-up was terrible. I'm in dire need of replacing the one that came with it.

The Gen1 gearboxes are the ones that APS have had terrible reviews with, but the Gen2, such as the one you're looking at and the one I own have actually been very successful. I'm not sure as to whether or not this is any indicator, but the only place I can find this rifle in stock is at Evike, and it's been out of stock for almost 2 years at Airsoft Megastore.

The EBB feature, at least for the non-Silver Edge, is in fact that older style where it catches on the piston. After the first time I used it, I just took off the blowback part, as I found it too noisy and I had also been told that it would lead to shortened battery life.

Hope this helps, and need I say, that is a gorgeous rifle you've picked 

Well, I personally have this, and I've got to say it's probably one of my favorite guns externally. Internally, I'll agree with many above that the hop-up was terrible. I'm in dire need of replacing the one that came with it.

I remember the pics you posted of that rifle, that thing was EPIC

Hope this helps, and need I say, that is a gorgeous rifle you've picked 

And, I know that ;)

But what do you think about the multicam and gold bits, I was thinking to eventually paint those black

But slowly, it's growing on me

Also, I say a post below the item on evike saying it didn't have a mosfed, if I get the rifle should I address that ASAP?

Edited by TEK

But what do you think about the multicam and gold bits, I was thinking to eventually paint those black

But slowly, it's growing on me

Personally, I like the multicam on it, but I'm not a fan of the gold

Also, I say a post below the item on evike saying it didn't have a mosfed, if I get the rifle should I address that ASAP?

Most people will say that a MOSFET is necessary, but I feel unless you're running a high-speed setup or DMR build, there's no need to run one, as you don't have to worry as much about overloading the wiring with just a standard setup and battery. Now, once you start upgrading, then that's a different story.