Event Hosting 101?

Joker

I have been doing a lot of thinking as of late, reflecting you could say. Reflecting on my airsoft career and airsoft in general here in Indiana. Now as most of you know by now I am responsible for getting airsoft started here in Indiana. Now I have of course had lots of help over the years and have not done things alone. But since day one I have been a constant and have been actively playing, hosting, and just generally helping airsoft grow. With all that being said, I don’t just want to be known as the guy to get things started because to me that has been 18 years ago now. So I asked myself, what have I done lately? Well I am continuing to be active, hosting as much as possible, as well as helping new players, new teams, and new field owners and event hosts get started. But I still feel like I could be doing something more. Something to help insure a bright future for airsoft here in Indiana long after I am gone. Then it hit me (insert Joker from TDK voice ‘HIT ME”), I had an idea for a new event or rather a class. I want to hold a basics to event hosting class to help new potential event hosts get started. I believe that if we want airsoft to continue to grow here we have to host quality games here. Fancy fields can only go so far if you can’t host a decent game then you will lose players (See Lion Claws Events for example). I by no means have issues with helping any of you who are interested in hosting events online via PMs, emails, or messaging. But I feel like a face to face meeting would be easier and more helpful.

This would be more like a class or meeting atmosphere lead by me with open discussions about all types of events. We would discuss things like writing events, proper planning, props, do’s and don’ts, event execution, rules, and so forth. Other experienced EO’s are also welcome to attend the class to lend their ideas, opinions, and knowledge to the class. Because not everyone does it the same way and I do not have all of the answers.

At first I thought about having this “class” take place at a local restaurant like we hold our meetings. But then I thought that maybe holding it at an actual airsoft field may be helpful to some so we could physically walk the field to discuss things if needed. Not to mention my field has tables and seating as well. And we could always grill out or eat somewhere afterwards. 

TL;DR

I had an idea on how I think I can further help airsoft here in Indiana utilizing my experience by holding a class for event hosting basics.

Anyone out there interested in something like this? If so I can work out some more details like a date and write up an official event and post it in our events section and get this party started.

~Joker

Joker that sounds like an awesome idea i know a few people myself included that would like to host events but lack the knowledge and the land to host said event

I wasn't the first Airsoft player in the state. I actually credit one of my teammates for getting me into this although he hadn't really played yet and was just buying guns at that point. I know of one Airsoft team that was playing before IMPACT. But when we were getting started they were all getting out of Airsoft mostly due to a lack of players and lack of fields. You have to remember that this was before Airsoft Ohio was even around. But by helping create a team and regularly hosting events that we posted online other players slowly found us and Airsoft grew in the state. Most of the Indiana veteran players who a been around a minute (10+ years ago) either had their first games in another state or attended an IMPACT event.

So no I was not the first, nor was IMPACT. But in a way I did help start Airsoft in Indiana. And for the last eighteen years, for better or worse, I have been the only constant in Airsoft in Indiana.

I am glad others are interested in learning about hosting events. Hopefully something good will come of all this.

~Joker

Edited by Joker

You know, I'll try to bite my tongue on that again, arguing revisionist history is hardly worth the effort. You were present when organization began, yes, but you were not the driving force nor the cradle of birth for airsoft in Indiana. There was a reason PointMan, Harvest and I drove to Ohio and Kentucky every weekend to play, same as the members of 6MM and ASKY who lived in Indiana. You contributed to the growth of the hobby here under the IAA, just like every other player who hosted games in that organization, but a little humility on the subject would suit you well. I've known you a long time, and we get along, but I'll be damned if anyone is going to take sole credit for what was accomplished in the early days of organizing this hobby in Indiana.

Good luck on your class.

• Upvote 4

I was the one who started airsoft in Indiana.  me and my red rider bb gun back in the day used to shoot the neighborhood kids that walked by my house in the small rural town of Sardinia Indiana.  Until one day little Casey Ferguson decided to take matters into his own hands and purchase the high coveted daisy model 25 pump action death dealing bb gun from hell.  From that moment on, bb wars were born.  

You can look it up too. I swear to god its true.       

Edited by 50 INCH NECK
  • Upvote 1

Wasn't planning to respond but since the topic has further derailed...

I actually never mentioned the IAA. I also didn't clame sole credit for anything. And the revised history I was referring to was pre 2005. You know like the 7 years before the concept of that organization that I spent hosting events. So before pounding your chest at me again about the IAA maybe re read what was actually typed. You know humility and all that.

I was under the impression that doing something that was relatively unknown in an area where nobody else was doing that something was indeed helping to start something. In other words hosting Airsoft events for the public and posting them online for others to find at a time when no one else was doing it here in Indiana was a beginning. I'm sorry to burst bubbles but Airsoft didn't start with that organization, it was started by events being hosted years prior. Events are the reason some of us are here to begin with. Although I'd wager some are just here for the lulz.

An argument could even be made that I helped lay the foundation for what would later become the Indiana bb warz community. A foundation that an organization was later built upon. My events brought players together and the IMPACT forums were being used for the posting of events and other discussions years before things were "organized". Sounds something like a community to me, albeit a small unorganized even directionless one.

Now I'm not going to make that argument, it's not really something I need to argue. Nor am I concerned with how others may perceive what I did way back when, even if they want to diminish its impact. Or maybe I'm just over stating my significance. The purpose of this topic was to focus on the future, not dig up the past. But after eighteen years of continuously (I need to stress the continuous part) hanging around I think I have more than earned the occasional tooting of my own horn.

Toot toot.

Now I could lock this topic and stop it from its downward spiral but I think I'm going to leave it open. In hopes that someone has anything to add pertaining to the proposed event hosting tutorial. If not, let the passive aggression and trolling continue.

• Upvote 1

I think there is only one way to settle this dispute...

"Two men enter....One man leave".... "Two men enter....One man leave".... "Two men enter....One man leave".... "Two men enter....One man leave".... 

My proposal...

Team Joker vs Team SZ... 

Joker and SZ draft 20 airsoft players each... We battle it out to the last man standing on a neutral airsoft site.  "Winner takes it all.... loser takes the fall"

• Upvote 2