Umarex H&K G36K: YAY or NAY?

Stallion

I was looking at the Umarex H&K G36K on Evike.com for $340, but I wasn't too sure about it. Does anyone know if it's a good AEG or would I be wasting my money by purchasing it?

Last time I checked (a while ago) the Umarex G36's were just CA's with the H&K logo on them.

Those go for $260 new .... or from a member on this forum

Last time I checked (a while ago) the Umarex G36's were just CA's with the H&L logo on them.

Those go for $260 new .... or from a member on this forum

I was fairly certain it's an Ares:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zVmqxmWx5U

In any case, I've heard bad things about it.....Just because it has licensing doesn't mean it will be good, take a KWA G36, I've heard they are one of the best out there for the G36 series.

They are quite weird out of the box. Some internal components are quite good while some others (gears) are not.

In terms of externals, they are hands down the best G36 line in the market. Features such as the blowback are more a con than a pro, honestly. However, the Ares line has an element unbeatable by KWA: they are more modular (and thus, easier to disassemble), they have a quick spring change option and they have little features that improve comfort such as locking the charging handle to manipulate the hop up.

If you're interested on one, I am selling mine with the nice extra that the issues of the gearbox are corrected.

I think we all have those moments Shwaisey, but if what Pablo says is true then just replace the gears, and disengage the blow back effect, and you get a good gun.

Stalion, drop me a PM if you're interested in a G36. There isn't much difference between a K and a C with extended barrel (plus you'll get a handguard with rails, an element unavailable for the K model) that you could use in CQB and in the field for a decent price and with all the issues of the gun corrected plus enhanced performance.

• 3 weeks later...

i own a jg g36c and it works fine, its accurate and has a good range and is sturdy, i like the shorter compact version better for that very reason, it has a rail system to mount whatever u need on it......im happy with it and it was fairly priced at about 170 on airsoftmegastore

i own a jg g36c and it works fine, its accurate and has a good range and is sturdy, i like the shorter compact version better for that very reason, it has a rail system to mount whatever u need on it......im happy with it and it was fairly priced at about 170 on airsoftmegastore

Not to be a jerk but, this wasn't about the JG, the OP was asking about the Umarex version which has RS trades on it and such. I think he received the answer he was looking for tho.

• Upvote 1

I was fairly certain it's an Ares:

{video}

In any case, I've heard bad things about it.....Just because it has licensing doesn't mean it will be good, take a KWA G36, I've heard they are one of the best out there for the G36 series.

KWA is also Umarex OEM.

Edited by Sloth

KWA is also Umarex OEM.

True, but KWA doesn't "theoretically" make a K version. Of course I know that you can tweak a C to make it a K but I knew when he said K that it was the Ares version, not the KWA. Also, if KWA had the quick change spring function and quick take down like the Ares does then I'd have bought a KWA G36 a long time ago. Sadly the KWA has neither, so I have to settle for second best with tweaked internals or something along those lines, however I have a CA SL-8 right now that is begging for my attention....

The KWA version is basically a beefed up Marui set: same gearbox, same hop up and same arrangements. The problem with that configuration is that it will work sub par with longer barrels due to the ported cylinder its gearbox uses.

Pablo is correct, and yes besides the gears they are great guns. I like the externals better than the KWA. So I'd say go for it. The KWA model is ok, but I'm not a fan of it's hopup unit at all, and a friend of mine had his selector switch pretty much fry, and then break on his KWA. Not good.

KWA's new G36C (With trademarks) has apparently been upgraded rather nicely. (Now li-po ready, for one. And they made the front handguard normal size instead of huge)

I don't know if it's still got a ported cylinder or not, but I do know that KWA may be moving away from that, as they don't believe there's a noticeable difference.

KWA's new G36C (With trademarks) has apparently been upgraded rather nicely. (Now li-po ready, for one. And they made the front handguard normal size instead of huge)

I don't know if it's still got a ported cylinder or not, but I do know that KWA may be moving away from that, as they don't believe there's a noticeable difference.

Some of the members on this forum have had issues with so called "lipo ready" KWA M4s, it would be smart to assume the same of the G36s. I'm not dissing KWA, I actually like most of KWA's line, just think of this more as a warning. Not everything is as the companies claim it to be.

I run lipos in my KWA both 7.4v and 11.1vs... no issues over 12,000 rounds through the gun. The only people i know on here who had issues with KWA lipo ready guns are the ones who put an 11.1 and mag dump it...

Who's Drivin' Miss Daisey?

I have tested their G36 and they seem to be fine with 11.1 lipos. It was an out of the box gun and the only issue I found on it is the relatively ackward balance of weight.

The Ares Umerex G36's have quality issues. Two on your team have been sent back for the 3 time to get fixed/replaced under warranty. Like Vacceo says, they have some issues, and the blowback is a liability and not a benefit. As far as KWA, put a tight bore in one and leave it stock and if you have one with the "magic" on the components. Then you will have no issues. I can post up more on the KWA that I have been running since grey beards last year. 378 +/- 2 fps, 180 ft 8 inch target. Only thing changed from stock is a EdGI 6.01 barrel and a new clean bucking. Have ran everything from 11.1 20c 3500 mah lipo, large type 8.4, and mostly 9.6v NiMH without issues in all weather conditions. Happy :rolleyes: with the KWA, and woudl be sad if my gun has been in the shop more than my hands with the Ares.

I must have saw the posts on the old forum, Hrturner can verify that if he wants to spend the time. In any case, there are people that have had issues with the 2GX gearbox running on lipos, this is not me saying that Ares is better, Ares does have different options however (which I said I would buy a KWA G36 right now if KWA offered those options). The KWA 2GX gearbox was made to be one of the best, KWA's engineers took the time to put everything together with very tight tolerances and the materials to make the parts are very good quality (some people say they are better than Systema, I'd have to have a KWA to actually check that one out). That being said, KWA does have lemons just like any other company, Ares seems to have a higher lemon rate than KWA does. I personally haven't had an issue running lipos and higher springs on my TAR yet, but I must have gotten one of those "special" out of the box amazing guns or something since everyone else seems to have issues with Ares guns, but it's a good thing that gears are only like $20-$50, or $100 if you want some modify ones. I have loyalties to both brands in the end because both companies have great products that they bring to the table.

Also, I remember BigAltes having an issue with his KWA M4 at BF7, he dropped it and it stopped functioning. I don't know the details on that but it's something else to consider.

Side note, I do believe KWA holds the record for highest ROF out of a stock gearbox from the 2GX. RA-Tech tested this on an M4 though. If there was a company out there that could combine KWA internals, Ares gearbox design, and a specialized mosfet, I'd be the first to buy probably.

I have had a KWA gear box fail on me but I believe it failed as the result of a bb shattering and blocking the nozzle, I dont believe the battery was at fault.