Upgrades: Where To Start?

The Loge

I have a G&G M4 Raider L and I am interested in starting to modify my gun. Where is the best place to start in terms of bang for your buck mods?

The research I have done has me leaning toward a precision tight bore barrel (6.03mm), a metal or CNCed hop up assembly, and perhaps an after market hop up bucking?

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on where I should start and specifics as to which brands to look into! Thanks in advance!

I pretty much throw a tight bore and a new hop-up nub/bucking right away in all of my guns unless they are already upgraded from the factory or by the previous owner.

Prowin metal chambers are popular for m4/m16 variants but depending on your stock hop-up unit I'm not sure if I would bother. I would get a different chamber if yours isn't holding it's adjustment well or you really want a 'wheel' style hop-up versus the more typical M4 style. The only G&G I've handled is a PDW 99 (P90) so I'm not familiar with their stock hop-up parts for an M4.

I wouldn't open the gearbox itself at all until something breaks especially if it is your only AEG but I suck at anything mechanical..

Edited by Spectra

First thing I did with a Combat Machine I had was buy a 6.03mm tightbore. It was a Madbull Black Python one. They 1. Are cheap & 2. Work really well. They are easy to work with and definitely increase range. This in some cases can increase your FPS. For me, it increased mine about ~5 FPS. Madbull is a good company to get tightbores from, but if you have a bigger budget, go with Prometheus 6.03mm. I've seen and heard good things about these, however they are more expensive. They will out perform the Madbull ones as expected, but then again, it all depends on your budget. 

Madbull hop up chambers are good too, as well as Lonex chambers. Both are relatively affordable and good options. 

As for a bucking, definitely stick with a G&G Green Bucking. I have these in my guns and it works amazing for the low price of $7.00. If you want to get all fancy, go with a Maple Leaf Bucking

I completely agree with what Spectra says about not opening your gearbox until something breaks, but hop up and barrel upgrades are a great place to start for simple and affordable upgrades. 

*I bolded all the brands that I recommend.* Hope this helps!

Edited by Basic

do nothing if the gun is shooting fine  stock

if the gun is shooting consistant with good BBs theres no reason to ad stuff you don't need I have seen a few stock guns get messed up because people felt it needed upgraded  when nothing was wrong

Thank you all very much for your input!

The Madbull Python barrel is the exact one I was looking at! I've read lots of good things about the Systema bucking as well but the G&G stock one is also good huh?

Basically my plan is to spend less than $50 to increase range and accuracy without having to do anything that requires a great deal of mechanical skill. Installing a barrel, bucking, and hop up chamber are all within my wheel house!

I really appreciate the advice gentlemen!

You're the man Basic! Thanks for going above and beyond with your reply!

I have not heard specifically of the Systema bucking, but I know their parts are well made. However yes, the G&G green bucking is fantastic and comes stock in Combat Machines which is great.

Since you already have an idea of what you want to do, you are pretty much set. In this case I personably would first purchase a tightbore and a hop up chamber, since the G&G green is already in your gun. And then from there you can see how you're shooting and make further decisions.

Good luck man!

I second Madbull Black Python tightbores. I've had several and always had good luck with them.

I like Systema buckings just fine but I've heard good things about G&G greens and since it sounds like your gun came with that I would leave it alone. That said you might want to buy a spare regardless of brand in case you accidentally tear it when putting your tightbore in or just for the future when you do need a new one.

I also have a Modify Baton Ryusoku Flat Hopup bucking in one of my APS M933's and effing love it although it refuses to cooperate/fit in some of the other chambers I've tried it in:

http://www.evike.com/products/47834/

I'd really like to do a side by side target shooting test one of these days as my two M933s are identical except that one has a ProWin chamber/Systema bucking/Element h nub and the other has the stock APS hop-up and the above Modify bucking/nub and it seems like a night and day difference with the flat hop. Had zero luck getting that to fit in the ProWin though...

Edited by Spectra

As for where to buy the parts, don't ever buy from Evike. I normally purchase from Airsoft GI or Airsoft Megastore. Make sure to buy the parts you need quickly too, especially this time of year. Most of the online stores start selling out around November, and don't get stuff back in stock until January or early February. 

I would recommend using www.brillarmory.com to order parts. They have great quality parts at solid prices. The place is dedicated to selling high quality parts for airsoft guns and it keeps shipping prices low. Customer service is great. I've always just tried to avoid the large airsoft retailers for parts.

do nothing if the gun is shooting fine  stock

if the gun is shooting consistant with good BBs theres no reason to ad stuff you don't need I have seen a few stock guns get messed up because people felt it needed upgraded  when nothing was wrong

I second this opinion. Run it until it fails, the upgrade from there. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I ended up putting a tight bore barrel and a flat hop hop up nub in my gun. It definitely has a little more range and accuracy now! I doubt I will do much else other than optics for the time being! Thanks again for all of the information!