Back-Up Rifle

Fen

Hey guys, I am toying with the idea of getting either a backup AEG or a nice sniper rifle (spring, aeg or gas - I don't mind) when I get money soon.. I'm wondering if anybody would have good advice for me on either of these ideas.

For a backup aeg I'm thinking a g&g raider cm 16 or raider cm 18 and an ARES amoeba 'honey badger'. Preferably more of a cqb weapon as it would only be a backup so basically; would the honey badger be worth the extra hundred dollars over the raider just as a backup/cqb weapon?

The snipers I have been looking at are; G&G GR25 (AEG), G&G G960 (gas), WELL L96 (spring), WELL MB10 (spring) or some kind of a Dragunov.

If anyone has had experiences [good or bad] with any of these weapons or simply think something else would be better suited I would love to hear it!

Edited by Fen

I have a l96. It's fun, and quit. However it's 2 big, bulky,and heavy for a back up.

I run a ump as back up, with my sniper load out. When I run my rifleman class, my pistols are my back up. I would suggest a smg style platform for a back up. Lighter, smaller, have close to the same range. But you need to figure out what works for you. My advice is attend a game. See what you like, most will let you hold or shoot our weapons. See what you think will suit you.

• Upvote 1

Yeah that's a good point about a lighter backup for sure. I suppose ideally I want to get a light/cqb aeg as backup and a seperate style altogether being the sniper loadout.. I'm expecting the sniper to be a long work in progress for the future.

Now in terms of said rifle I have come across this nice deal on airsplat: http://www.airsplat.com/aps-m4-ris-airsoft-blowback-ebb-aeg-gun.html 

I think it may be a winner.. any thoughts on it specifically?

Depends on some games depicts on what I would carry. I carried my AK beta with a tri-shot on my back for close woodland games but I only did that like 3 times but didn't bother me. Only problem is when you're trying to be stealthy in the woodlands and not make a lot of noise but that's where my second part comes into hand. I now run a E&L AKs-74n and my Echo 1 SVD. Now note, my svd is exactly 4' and with that, I have to carry that until I come to situations where I would need my 74. It does get pretty difficult with the scope and all but you can work around it. It's not much of, not a good idea or not needing it, it's what you're capable of and what you're getting yourself into.

Well, technically a back-up gun for a rifleman loadout as I don't have any sniper loadout yet. Basically something I can fall back on if I run into problems with my primary for any loadout.

Woah, I just spent my money for the month but I would've picked up that APS M4. They are awesome project guns.

I have a Javelin AK (Which is the US version of APS) And they have great externals (Not as good as E&L or Real Sword by any means). With internals, they shoot great out of the box but have a chance of having problems. Mine is designed to shoot around 400 but shoots 260 ATM. My bet is on the cylinder.

The Echo 1 GAT Is insanely solid, for $160 it's a great deal. Compares with $300+ DMRs.

( http://www.evike.com/products/54506/ )

Grab a one point sling + weapon catch and you could totally use this as a secondary. ( http://www.evike.com/products/38325/ )

Some unedited footage from the latest Mccordsville event, has some GAT usage later on, make sure to watch in 720@60:

Another option is a Tri-Shot Shotgun or APS Cam 870 (The shorter model is somewhat inexpensive on Airsoft Megastore, Personally I'd grab the Magnum model with wood, but that's quite expensive) Set up with a scabbard.

Edited by ProPainTank

Woah, I just spent my money for the month but I would've picked up that APS M4. They are awesome project guns.

I have a Javelin AK (Which is the US version of APS) And they have great externals (Not as good as E&L or Real Sword by any means). With internals, they shoot great out of the box but have a chance of having problems. Mine is designed to shoot around 400 but shoots 260 ATM. My bet is on the cylinder.

The Echo 1 GAT Is insanely solid, for $160 it's a great deal. Compares with $300+ DMRs.

( http://www.evike.com/products/54506/ )

Grab a one point sling + weapon catch and you could totally use this as a secondary. ( http://www.evike.com/products/38325/ )

Some unedited footage from the latest Mccordsville event, has some GAT usage later on, make sure to watch in 720@60:

Another option is a Tri-Shot Shotgun or APS Cam 870 (The shorter model is somewhat inexpensive on Airsoft Megastore, Personally I'd grab the Magnum model with wood, but that's quite expensive) Set up with a scabbard.

Sorry if I dive off topic here but, that's a really nice camera, what is it? And what day was this filmed?

Oh - my 100th post  :blink:

Edited by TEK
  • Upvote 1

yeah I think due to the unusual nature of the price for the APS M4 ebb I will end up getting it at the end of the month... if it is still in stock. Thank you for your wonderful input, you have given me plenty to consider. Nicely done on that video by the way :) Will you (or others) be recording again at Mccordsville this 30th?

Edited by Fen

Sorry if I dive off topic here but, that's a really nice camera, what is it? And what day was this filmed?

Oh - my 100th post  :blink:

It's a Contour Roam 2 Mounted with angle adjustments on an OpsCore ARC rail mount. Prices really went up on the Roam 2's after the Contour Merge. Really nice cameras.

Normally I run on 60FPS@720P with Fisheye mode, but I might record a few in 30@1080 regular FOV. Was the last Mccordsville game, I was only there for about two hours; my +1 wasn't accustomed to the heat (And the mosquitoes, dear god!)

What's nice about Roam 2s is that they are lower profile and accept different mount types (Vs the Centered/Third person NVG mounts of the GoPro.) Hopefully I'll be able to snag a second one before prices skyrocket so I can have a gun cam, or perhaps two cameras on my arc rails stitched together. Might find a way to do a third person setup one of these days.

yeah I think due to the unusual nature of the price for the APS M4 ebb I will end up getting it at the end of the month... if it is still in stock. Thank you for your wonderful input, you have given me plenty to consider. Nicely done on that video by the way :) Will you (or others) be recording again at Mccordsville this 30th?

If all goes well, yes. Hopefully I'll actually have a video like my after action report video and not another footage dump, lol

You guys can check out my first AAR on that channel if you want to see what an actual video is like. Yeah, audio management sucked D:

Edited by ProPainTank
  • Upvote 1

If all goes well, yes. Hopefully I'll actually have a video like my after action report video and not another footage dump, lol

You guys can check out my first AAR on that channel if you want to see what an actual video is like. Yeah, audio management sucked D:

(Sorry if this topic was wrapping up and I'm beating a dead cat, but) Propain, are you playing on tan or green for McCordsville? I'd love to get a sniper buddy and do sneaky pew-pew stuff

i think i may start a sniper loadout at the end of the month by buying the well g96 - $119 on airsplat for all of august. then the three of us can act all sneaky and gang up on the rest together in future games haha..

Edited by Fen

(Sorry if this topic was wrapping up and I'm beating a dead cat, but) Propain, are you playing on tan or green for McCordsville? I'd love to get a sniper buddy and do sneaky pew-pew stuff

i think i may start a sniper loadout at the end of the month by buying the well g96 - $119 on airsplat for all of august. then the three of us can act all sneaky and gang up on the rest together in future games haha..

Green most likely, I'll be bringing both of my sniper rifles as well, lol

Edited by ProPainTank
  • Upvote 1

Green most likely, I'll be bringing both of my sniper rifles as well, lol

What rifles are you bringing? Mind if i borrow one for a little at the game? :L

At least a spare sniper if necessary. Just ask on the field and chances are somebody has something. I'm still not 100% positive I'll be attending, it's 70%ish atm.

http://www.airsoft-i...ft-sniping-101/

Before you buy that rifle, know what you're getting into.  You can own a sniper rifle and know how to shoot it, but knowing how to USE it is a whole different story

Also, Fen, I've got an extra DMR (kinda), that I'm bringing. You can use my Well L96 (Tokyo Marui clone) to get a feel for it if Propain doesn't show up with an extra gun

http://www.airsoft-i...ft-sniping-101/

Before you buy that rifle, know what you're getting into.  You can own a sniper rifle and know how to shoot it, but knowing how to USE it is a whole different story

Also, Fen, I've got an extra DMR (kinda), that I'm bringing. You can use my Well L96 (Tokyo Marui clone) to get a feel for it if Propain doesn't show up with an extra gun

Thanks! I hadn't seen that post before so it'll be helpful :)  It will be quite some time before I would get out in the field as a sniper so I have plenty of time to hone any previous skills I had in Ireland haha. Also; thankyou for the offer, I look forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so update:

I have boiled my choices down to two totally different guns than I originally considered. Any thoughts on either of these? - Personally I have always admired and wanted both the g3 and sig 551 models so it's a tough choice. I want this for winter time (as my gas rifle will probably not be so great lol) and no longer want simply a back-up gun.

http://www.airsplat.com/jg-g3a4-ris-airsoft-aeg-gun-rifle-jg-111.html

+

http://www.airsplat.com/ics-airsoft-sg-551-swat-aeg-gun-in-black.html

I use an APS M4 Guardian ASR-110D as my DMR/back-up, and I absolutely love it. Now, realize I've invested around $600 in it, but even before the upgrades it was a decent gun.

My DMR

• Upvote 1

Trust me, it's worth it. Great quality metal, and it won't let you down on the field. First game I used it, no upgrades whatsoever, and I was reaching farther than most already. By far my best purchase yet in airsoft.

Fen, if you haven't already learned, you get what you pay for. I would suggest getting the Sig 551 while it's on sale. So this will be a primary when you don't carry your GBB, with only a handgun as a secondary?