Jg Gearbox Shimming Issues

BrandonFultz

I have a new gen jg v2 gearbox that i was trying to shim the other day and there was absolutely no play at in any of the gears. I dont know if its the bushings or the shell?? Or possibly the gear set. Its the gearbox with the orange piston and 7mm bearings.

Just so I understand, are you saying it did not need shimming?  Or do you mean that with no shims, it wouldn't turn when you put it together?

To determine if it is the bushings, or just one of them causing everything to lock, put each gear in by itself and close up the gearbox.  Tighten the screws too.  Then try to turn that one gear.  If only one or two gears are stuck, and the third moves, it could be the bushings on one or two of the gears.  If all three are stuck, I would start to think something is wrong with the shell.

Well typically when you shim a gb you want there to be just the smallest amout of play possible but i had no shims on any gear and they were all really tight. They still spun but not very smooth like it would had it been shimmed well. I have an older jg gearbox with the bushings instead of bearings and there is a lot of play in those gears. I was able to get it shimmed great. So i dont know i was just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Try changing the bushings if that's the case. Agm gearbox a buddy of mine has in an m4 had the same issue, so we swapped bushings and it made it a bit better. Otherwise just get a sturdier gearbox shell to drop in and have at it again.