What upgrades are necessary in a new AEG?

Clayton

So after I sell this sniper rifle that I have and keep saving up my paycheck I will be getting a KWA-something. (Fanboy yes...). But I was wondering for accuracy upgrades what would be the best route. Something like an EDGI TBB with an SCS nub with the 2GX nub? Or does the 2GX nub counter-act on the SCS nub? Just some general upgrade questions. Also would something like better wiring, 7.4v lipo, etc. be considered upgrades to the current stock platform?

Fixed the title for you. - Admin

Basing off of the couple of people I know with KWAs, they come 11.1 lipo ready. I assume that means that it has top notch wiring and gears installed from the factory.

I'm interested in learning more about this too since I am also thinking of buying a KWA M4 variant in the near future.

"based from people I know..." not the best advice

I own a KWA M4 RIS...I run a 7.4 lipo. It does come lipo ready...Here are some pros and cons

Pros

1. You get what you pay for... Gun is accurate right out of the box.

2. Sturdy externals. Rail and Crane Stock is solid no wobble

3. Full metal... The only plastic is the Crane stock

Cons

1. Price. Gun was well over 350...

2. Internal Wiring...I have a short in the crane stock. Gun wirring is not the best set up. Crane stock can pinch wires.

3. Large MaH Batteries not made from Crane Stock...

I have owned the gun over a year and have used it in about 10-12 games. Other than the wiring issues (Rob is rewiring) The gun is flawless. You are welcome to take a look at it some time if you want

I personally will never own a KWA unless it's a GBB. I've seen too many bad things going on with their guns while my Classic Army may have just had it's first actual failure after about 50,000 rounds.

Clayton from what I've heard the 2GX bucking does the job of an SCS nub. I have seen one in person but didn't use it in my M4. The bucking was very soft and plyable though. I would do a tight bore barrel, bucking, nub, and have a gun tech check to see if it is shimmed correctly. The wiring setup in KWA's is RE to the TARDED from what I've seen. Rogue had an SR10 I think with the Crane Stock, and the wiring coming from the GB looked like what is used on Lamps in your house. Really thick gauge, with heavy shroud on it, and it isn't flexible enough to do anything with and wastes a ton of space in the battery compartment and buffer tube.

My gun performed better after Rob did the AOE(Angle of Engagement) mod and changed down to an M100 Spring, I liked having higher FPS, but my gun behaves better at lower FPS with only about 15ft less range. I can still hit people at 185ft no problems. I will never have another Arnalite in Airsoft that isn't a Classic Army, they're just too accurate and reliable to move away from.

BTW if KWA's are as good as people say, they shouldn't need upgrades to be accurate, don't they come with like a 6.04-.05 barrel in them stock?

I have known one maybe two KWAs to have wiring issues other then 50's. They were not new straight out of the box but over time of being used and abused they had issues.

Crimson also had 3 (I think) KWAs before it was all said and done. I think he blew 2 new gearboxes up. I think he was using an 11.1 lipo in his gun. While it did work (and had one hell of a ROF) it did not last to long. He can give you more info about that then I can. Good news it that they have a great warranty service. He got brand new guns at no charge.

I have not yet owned one but from what I have seen they have came a very long way from where they once were. And it would seem that they have a great warranty.

As far as your upgrades go I would say the TBB and SCS nub is the way to go. Other things you may consider dong is upgrading to a better (higher end) hop up unit. If you are wanting better accuracy you may want to consider a longer barrel and possibly a suppressor to hide the longer inner barrel.

Hope this helps.

~Joker out....

I personally will never own a KWA unless it's a GBB. I've seen too many bad things going on with their guns while my Classic Army may have just had it's first actual failure after about 50,000 rounds.

Clayton from what I've heard the 2GX bucking does the job of an SCS nub. I have seen one in person but didn't use it in my M4. The bucking was very soft and plyable though. I would do a tight bore barrel, bucking, nub, and have a gun tech check to see if it is shimmed correctly. The wiring setup in KWA's is RE to the TARDED from what I've seen. Rogue had an SR10 I think with the Crane Stock, and the wiring coming from the GB looked like what is used on Lamps in your house. Really thick gauge, with heavy shroud on it, and it isn't flexible enough to do anything with and wastes a ton of space in the battery compartment and buffer tube.

My gun performed better after Rob did the AOE(Angle of Engagement) mod and changed down to an M100 Spring, I liked having higher FPS, but my gun behaves better at lower FPS with only about 15ft less range. I can still hit people at 185ft no problems. I will never have another Arnalite in Airsoft that isn't a Classic Army, they're just too accurate and reliable to move away from.

BTW if KWA's are as good as people say, they shouldn't need upgrades to be accurate, don't they come with like a 6.04-.05 barrel in them stock?

My gun is accurate...I have done 0 upgrades to the internals and it shoots alot better than other M4 i have used... I should say that I have put at the very least 20,000 round through it... I also fell at CPX and dropped the gun. The fall would have broke most guns in half... My was fine...

After speaking with Rob... I beleive that the the wiring issues are caused by a design flaw ....

I have never seen a KWA that lasted more than two games without an issue. Hell It seems every time I see one leave a certain mobile shop, it is going back to KWA by then end of the day. :blink:

Yea the wiring I saw in your gun 50 was horrid. WAY to many connections. I would suggest wiring as much of the gun straight wire as possible. As for lipo ready out of the box? I say bull shit. Yea the gun has a battery connection, motor, and a gearbox but that doesn't make it lipo ready. My personal checklist for all guns looks like this:

1. Shim job

2. AoE mod

3. Metal/BB bushings

4. Replace stock piston

5. Clean grease off GB, polish the piston guide rails, re-grease

This is a minimalist list too. There are many other things I like to do to my own guns but its simply for peace of mind.

Maybe my KWA M4A1 was magical then... lasted since the moment I owned it to the moment I sold it without any issues at all. I used only airsoft Elite BBs and a 9.6v NiMh mini-battery (Never died on me once either, I'm probably just lucky). I also have not owned a Classic Army.

While not being a fan of "my friend said this happened"... I'll take into consideration your Classic Army success Dragon considering how many freaking games you've used the thing in.

I have never seen a KWA that lasted more than two games without an issue. Hell It seems every time I see one leave a certain mobile shop, it is going back to KWA by then end of the day. :blink:

You played with me in at least 2 mercs games right? smiley-taunt.gif

I'm normally the same way about not trusting what anyone says, but when I see the abuse some of us put our weapons through then I know what I'd buy and what I wouldn't. Take for example Rob's Inok M60, I'd own one, or Matt Arthurs KA M7A1 that Jeff resorts to at every single game, lol that is a damned reliable gun. I don't think it can be broken..

Maybe my KWA M4A1 was magical then... lasted since the moment I owned it to the moment I sold it without any issues at all. I used only airsoft Elite BBs and a 9.6v NiMh mini-battery (Never died on me once either, I'm probably just lucky). I also have not owned a Classic Army.

While not being a fan of "my friend said this happened"... I'll take into consideration your Classic Army success Dragon considering how many freaking games you've used the thing in.

You played with me in at least 2 mercs games right? smiley-taunt.gif

mine has never fully been down ... i have used it dozens of games...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I did manage to kill one V1 gearbox.. Sent the gun in and got it back with one of the first V2 the had released.. It lasted one game and went back again.. After that I got another V2 gear box it lasted 1 mid cap. Kwa then Sent me a whole new gun which I never used.. Now the first gearbox I ran 2200mah. 11.1 20c lipos in.. The ROF was scary.. Next gearbox I slowed it down with a 9.9v A123 Pack.. Still Crazy ROF.. 3rd gearbox only seen a 7.4 10c battery. And it died. Every failure was due to a bearing giving out...

The V2 bucking is not as much like a SCS nub but more like a firefly bucking it has a small V shaped ridge on it to center the BB and grip better.. These are very good.. but not compatable with a SCS or any H shaped Nub.

Early Kwa's also had issues with Mag Midcaps but then never ones do not.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned a KWA g36c, and apart from a evike selling me a 30A battery and it frying the motor( thanks evike for telling me it was 18A) it was fine, and lasted a whole year before the amperage overloaded the motor. I was running a 11.1 right out of the box without any issues, and it was by far the quietest gun I have ever heard apart from a springer. While kwa had my g36c, a teamate loaned me his RIS, and i must tell you that was an awesome gun, I used a 9.6, and it was incredibly accurate and powerful. The only problems I have encountered with kwa's are either from a third party item, or a connection coming loose from the motor, but a quick fix will keep it in place. I would buy another, but I am not much of a fan of m4's.

I have a question. How does any of that pertain to upgrades such as tight bore barrels, hop-up buckings, or wiring for my gun? I already know the gun is a good brand man. Much love. wub.gif

Well kwa is pretty good out of the box.. things I seen that lacked are barrel and bearings...

So upgrades I would recomend.. edgi ttb. And some good bushings. But alot has changed and the bearing issue is probably fixed by now. Barrel wise kwa uses a odd hopup and the edgi is recomended for it.. if using another brand you may have to change the hopup.

Got ride of the kwa when I went support... seems me and kwa just don't get along. When it worked I loved it... I was simply passing along what I learned from alot of research when I had my m4.

Yea the wiring I saw in your gun 50 was horrid. WAY to many connections. I would suggest wiring as much of the gun straight wire as possible. As for lipo ready out of the box? I say bull shit. Yea the gun has a battery connection, motor, and a gearbox but that doesn't make it lipo ready. My personal checklist for all guns looks like this:

1. Shim job

2. AoE mod

3. Metal/BB bushings

4. Replace stock piston

5. Clean grease off GB, polish the piston guide rails, re-grease

This is a minimalist list too. There are many other things I like to do to my own guns but its simply for peace of mind.

You guys are really starting to scare me. I hope my KWA lasts.

I would suggest looking at the downgrades and modification section on the KWA forum. There is a lot about information about modifications and if people believe in them. Based on that, owning a KWA G36c and seeing my son run a SR12, I would say the following:

KWA has built the guns to operate in optimal ranges. When you get outside of spec ranges you will run into troubles. Be that range, ROF or accuracy. Stock KWA's running 9.6v NiMH should work great for a long time.

The one upgrade that most people recommend is a Tight Bore barrel. it is easy, you can pick up a few FPS. It also seems to make things shoot more accurately (just can quantify that).

It is physically impossible to shot further than 180-200ft without a high FPS or a lot of hold over (aiming above a person). Check the BB Bastard for more info on this (http://www.bbbastard.com/index.php). So make sure you have accurate expectations when you talk about accuracy.

With all that said, the one and only thing I plan on changing in my KWA for consistency/accuracy is adding EDGi 6.01 barrels.

I actually don't really like my Edgi on my KWA much, it's shiny that's bout it. :blush:

I loved my prometheus though, and may buy another one before it's over.

Upgrades depend a lot on the gun and the way it works.

For my G36's the bare minimum is:

-Reshiming them since I use LiPo's.

-An adequate tightbore; I use prometheus.

-Pro Win hop up chamber, SCS nub and prometheus bucking.

Upgrades depend a lot on the gun and the way it works.

For my G36's the bare minimum is:

-Reshiming them since I use LiPo's.

-An adequate tightbore; I use prometheus.

-Pro Win hop up chamber, SCS nub and prometheus bucking.

HAHA, Cant forget the new gears and removing the blowback feature. :P