Southern Indiana Field Interest?

lapalmer1969

Hello, 

I am purchasing some acreage in Southern Indiana, about 45 minutes from Louisville, KY. I am posting to see if there is any interest by people for a permanent field to be set up on my property. I enjoy airsoft so I thought I would see what was out there. Its both wooded and open field with a creek bed running through the center. I would be able to offer overnight camping for weekend scenarios as well as just day events. I`m interested in building some permanent structures for use, such as 2 forts, some "artillery" installations complete with realistic looking field cannons. I was also thinking maybe some radio tower looking things that could be "blown up" in scenarios. I don`t want to get too ambitious, I just enjoy building and creating. I`m going to have about 6 acres to carve a field out of. I don`t want to invest in this project if there is an abundance of fields in the area. 

Thanks

"If you build it, they will come."  If you have the land available and the funds/time to do so, go for it. It will draw in a lot of players, just make sure you manage the field well. The behavior of players regularly attending your games, and the resulting reputation of your games' atmosphere, are what will make or break a field long-term. If its a nice field with friendly players that always call their hits and shake hands after games, you'll do great. If you have a bunch of loud-mouthed drama queens regularly attending, or players that create unsafe playing conditions, the field will not be attended by players more than once, and word gets around fast about that kind of stuff. Just like any other hobby business it has to be a safe, inviting, and structured atmosphere. The main point of airsoft is having fun, no one wants to pay good money to have their day ruined by man-children.

My team in actually based out of Owensboro, Kentucky. We drive to all the surrounding states to play, so long as the field is known for honest and humble players. We don't care how big the field is, how well it's built up, or how much it costs; We go for the friendly environment and good scenario games.

I can only speak for myself really, but I get the feeling that most if not all of us on the forum would be more than interested to have another field at our disposal. Having some parts of it built up would give it some great looks for those MilSim style events, seems like a great idea to me! Just as long as funds, players, and pretty much everything Comrade said before me works out in your favor.

Build it, make a date for a game well in the future, get a good roster going and then see how it goes. I guarantee you'll have a ton of people show up if you market it here with a lot of time in advance.

As far as the player attitude goes, that's for you to decide. If someone shows up and is acting inappropriately, then don't let them come back. Until then, I'd give everyone a chance. Sure some people won't show up because they don't like someone on the roster. That happens at every game. It's no big deal. As long as they obey the rules, and are acting like an adult, then everything is fine :)

It's always good to see new fields open up. Welcome to AI.

Sure some people won't show up because they don't like someone on the roster. That happens at every game. It's no big deal. As long as they obey the rules, and are acting like an adult, then everything is fine :)

I don't say much, but I'm going to respond to this and not try to muddy up the OP's thread.

If someone doesn't want to show up to someone's game because of a certain person on the roster, that's their prerogative.  If a certain person on the roster has a history of being an asshat and a jerk to not only players on the field, but in the community he claims to be a part of, people aren't going to want to be around that person.  Simple as that.

Living with principles isn't a hard thing, but it's the right thing.  The way I look at it, if I had a choice between going to a game and risk going to jail for breaking my foot off in someone's behind or not going, I'd just not go.

To the original poster, I apologize for messing in your thread.  Anyone else want to continue this conversation regarding what I just mentioned, I wholeheartedly suggest you PM me and we can take it from there.  

Other than that, carry on.

• Upvote 4

Sounds like a good location and I would bet that you would get a good mix of IN and KY players. I usually have a few KY players show up to my events at my field in Bloomington.

I would suggest not going to "crazy" on spending money and building the field up just yet. That will come with time. Have a few games there and see how the field plays, that way you have a better idea what to build and where. I would first invest into a chronograph and things for a staging area or safety stuff (or field boundary markers, etc).

Best of luck and if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

~Joker

Thanks guys for the welcome and advice. All good points made by everyone. Since its located in Indiana, but close to KY I felt there would be a draw from both States to come and participate. Since I`ve never done anything like this before, its all new ground to cover. I walked the near 7 acres yesterday and it is heavily wooded with a creek splitting the woods. There is a decent pasture in the front at the road for parking and camping so that would be covered. I liked the mention of keeping it simple right now and just get it up and running, adding things later. 

I also am getting the feeling there will need to be policing of people attending. I`m sure you guys all know troublemakers and such around the airsoft world here in Indiana/KY. I feel like a disclaimer in the rules I get written up saying I reserve the right to remove players wouldn`t be out of the question. 

Also, to Joker, since you`ve mentioned hosting games in your area, I will definitely take you up on the offer to ask for help along the way. 

I guess my next question would be, does anyone have a basic set of rules for sites to play on that I can adapt to this field once I can get it physically up and running? Right now I`m spending weekends clearing dead wood and brush, its overgrown. So we`re definitely a long ways off from running one. I`d just like to see some rules to get an idea of what to look for. 

Thanks again!