Tournaments? Cash Prizes?

duhske

I am very curious to know if there are any events/tournaments in Indiana that have cash prizes, or anything similar. I am fairly new to airsoft but I have done some research and have found a few places that have held  events like this, but I am not sure if Indiana has anything like this. I would very appreciate information on this topic. Thanks.

Duhske.

Not really.  You would have to look at the larger Ops like Lion Claws, American Milsim, Blacksheep, etc. for stuff like that and they don't necessarily have a prize per se.

It's larger ops like those have a raffle at the end of the event.  Makes it fair for everyone who attended and stayed after for the end of game scenario and AAR.

If you actually stated that there would be a prize for the 'winner' to a game, everyone and their mother would cheat to win that prize.  Airsoft is about having fun and playing with honor, not about winning a prize.

Edited by Endgame
  • Upvote 3

If you actually stated that there would be a prize for the 'winner' to a game, everyone and their mother would cheat to win that prize. Airsoft is about having fun and playing with honor, not about winning a prize.

While I agree with this, there is one discrepancy: my mom doesn't play. xD

• Upvote 1

While I agree with this, there is one discrepancy: my mom doesn't play. xD

Or does she?  :ph34r:

Throwing prizes for winning such as money into something like airsoft thats completely based on peoples honor is going to end up in a bad train wreck. Now giving "awards" or having personal prizes or goals can be done. For example this weekend at Blind Fury in OH my prize will be having just enough energy left at the end of the event to climb back up "the hill" at the events conclusion by willpower alone. You get out of events what you put into them. Cash prizes are going to complicate things and if you are here to win money you might want to rethink your reasons for playing airsoft. 

~Joker 

• Upvote 3

You get out of events what you put into them. Cash prizes are going to complicate things and if you are here to win money you might want to rethink your reasons for playing airsoft. 

~Joker 

Well said.

We already get a lot of players (both new and old) with hit-calling problems, this would only further complicate issues amongst those types. That's the type of mentality that is better suited to tournament paintball, not airsoft.

• Upvote 1

At the community cookout about 2 years ago that was at the Indianapolis Indoor Airsoft spot, they ran a pistol competition, it wasnt against people, it was against the clock, similar to an IDPA or some such competition. I am all in favor of this kind of thing, incorporating the real shooting comps into airsoft. i had a blast and would totally do it again, or even a 2 gun or 3 gun comp. It doesnt necessarily have to be Force on Force for a competition, in which i 100% agree with the above said about cheating to win. it will happen, no matter how hard you try. 

No, definitely not in it for money at all, I just enjoy it so much why not make some money off something you love to do ya know? But yes I completely agree about the cheating problem. Is that why the ACA failed? Or was it because it was so over priced for reasons unknown, and you didn't get enough in return for the money you put in to it? Because I read up on it and the entry fee for a four man team was something insane like $800.

The ACA was really only in existence in California in any large fashion, and it was tailored towards speed ball type, ultra high ROF, total dickhead players.

I saw a clip of someone in ACA mag dumping an AK74 that was firing probably over 40rps into people's faces (literally) from less than 5 yards away. That's probably what led to its downfall.

At the community cookout about 2 years ago that was at the Indianapolis Indoor Airsoft spot, they ran a pistol competition, it wasnt against people, it was against the clock, similar to an IDPA or some such competition. I am all in favor of this kind of thing, incorporating the real shooting comps into airsoft. i had a blast and would totally do it again, or even a 2 gun or 3 gun comp. It doesnt necessarily have to be Force on Force for a competition, in which i 100% agree with the above said about cheating to win. it will happen, no matter how hard you try. 

I like the 2 or 3 gun comp. Wish we could get some people into it and get something set up.

Seen a couple videos of aca, never want to attend a game with anyone who attended an ACA game. Too high of a ROF, at much too close range. Players were charging up to enemy positions then dumping 70-80 rounds into them from 7 feet max. They make just about any asshat player from around here look as kind and gentle as a baby bunny.

Guys, let's keep is on the main topic.

Joker, S_Z, you both hit the nail on the head.

In my opinion, the reason why some people play airsoft isn't for personal gain, but multiple other reasons.  Some play to emulate their favorite spec ops unit or simply play army/navy/marine/ etc., some play to escape reality, some play for the camaraderie of being with their friends.  Some even play to push their physical and/or mental limits to see just how far they can go.  Just like Joker said (I couldn't have said it better), you really do get out of it what you put in.  That may be reward enough.

Did a team competition a few years ago at one of the coolest fields in recent Indiana history. While their weren't cash prizes, there was bragging rights. First day of the event was five man teams versus each other in structured mission oriented scenarios. There were three total that took all of saturday. On sunday there was a 2 gun shoot where each of the 5 man teams were walked/driven through a 1/2 mile course in which targets were setup and assigned to each individual. When each team finished, their targets were scored based upon accuracy and time was average into the equation. All in all it was a lot of fun to host and would love to do another.

As for cash events, like the others have said, if that's you rationale for airsoft you are probably in the wrong sport. Not only that, you're probably also in the wrong community. We like to keep things as friendly as possible and when people have to start paying gobs of money to play, they start to cheat and become excessively aggressive.  Just my .02 cents.

No, definitely not in it for money at all, I just enjoy it so much why not make some money off something you love to do ya know? But yes I completely agree about the cheating problem. Is that why the ACA failed? Or was it because it was so over priced for reasons unknown, and you didn't get enough in return for the money you put in to it? Because I read up on it and the entry fee for a four man team was something insane like $800.

Because if you make money out of it turns into work.

And I play airsoft to not have to deal with the crap I have to when I work.

• 2 weeks later...

The closest thing that AI ever came to a cash prize was when I offered a $20 prize for anyone who could take out Starblade during Op:Pandora's Box, verified by him, but apparently nobody ever saw him. I even put Long John Silver's hats on two of our guys so they'd draw him out but he apparently didn't take the bait :lol:

My favorite reward for attending an event are the patches. It's pretty cool to say you earned a patch by attending an event and giving it your all, and then coming home to display your patches on your uniform, gear, patch panel, or in CStahl's case, car. Everytime you see that certain patch, you know what went down during that event or operation, and you can easily remember the good and bad times you had with those cool people. I know it's not money, but it is a pretty neat reward for playing. Patches and prizes aside, airsoft is just plain fun.

The closest thing that AI ever came to a cash prize was when I offered a $20 prize for anyone who could take out Starblade during Op:Pandora's Box, verified by him, but apparently nobody ever saw him. I even put Long John Silver's hats on two of our guys so they'd draw him out but he apparently didn't take the bait :lol:

oh trust me. i saw them...they just never saw me. i think you need better Pirates :D

oh trust me. i saw them...they just never saw me. i think you need better Pirates :D

:lol: Get them some real eyes instead of those glass ones....

Sorry thread, may you RIP. :hijack:

I said they were subcontracted pirates, not ninjas. :o

But uh, yeah, nope, no cash prize that I know of. Not even the national-level events like Lion Claws.

I ditched the pirate hat way early on. Broken wore it much longer than myself. Don't know who you saw... And I prefer "Temp Worker". lol

I ditched the pirate hat way early on. Broken wore it much longer than myself. Don't know who you saw... And I prefer "Temp Worker". lol

To be fair I didn't wear it by itself like you did, I just taped it to my helmet.

Horseshit I never saw you, I just couldn't hit you because you kept ducking behind that wall on top of the tower. What I wouldn't have done for a sniper rifle in that moment.

Edited by broken

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on a 2/3 gun type event, but the hard part is covering cost for props, prizes, and field fee. I've been working on what I call are tech offs. 3 hours to work on your gun of choice then seeing who can not only who can make their gun the most accurate but also show off their shooting skills. If I where to do a 3 gun the last leg of the event would be a stupid long range shot.

Edited by Killroy