Dmr Suggestions

ericeel

Hello all,

I'm basically done with my P90 build.. and I'm moving on to next years build.. I'd like to do a DMR this time..

I will replace the entire piston assembly, as I have had that stupid stock plastic piston strip on me so many times, I'm tired of it..

Anyways, I am looking for suggestions on what DMR I should do this to and use of corse.. I have seen a lot of M14s lately. The only thing I have against the M14 is that it has a special gearbox..

I'm looking for something that has rails for mounting stuff on. I'm not really searching for specific brands.. but just the gun type..

Thanks guys..

The CYMA m14's (TM spec) are super easy to find parts for. Plus, the stock gearbox can withstand an m150 for somewhere in the realm of 50k shots. The gearbox is a pain to get to, but frankly with the power you can pump out of it and the hop up design, you can turn it into a dmr that will perform extremely well.

Edited by AceReaper

Hey Ericeel. Ace is right. M14's are very nice DMR's. In fact, i have a G&G in the user classfieds I'm trying to sell if you're interested. All I can say is that it has performed very well. It would be a solid start to a blackhawk down style M14, as you can buy rail systsems for it.

A m14 is nice and you can get a ebr that has rails like you want. M4 or sr10 or sr25 would also work well for you.

Edited by williamc

If you are stripping pistons then something isn't working right in your gun. Pistons believe it or not can last a very long time if taken care of. Piston in my 60 is going on 4 years and two springs. Springs were only changed due to them no longer shooting at the FPS I wanted them too.

Another word of caution, look at the whole AEG drive system as a chain. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link right? Well if you put a metal piston in there, what now becomes the weakest link? The Gears, the motor pinion, or worse the gearbox shell! Regardless, more expensive parts become the weaker links. A polycarb piston is only 15 bucks but a gearset is 60+ and a gearbox is pretty close to 60+ as well. Why would you want to risk breaking more expensive parts?

Just my humble $0.02

• Upvote 3

Turner drives a very valid point. In my aug I've made the weak point the piston, because as Turner says, a piston is much cheaper than a gearset or a gearbox shell. Several other members also make the pistons the intentional weak point in the gearbox because quite frankly they're simple and cheap to replace.

I spent a long time last night looking through the various DMRs for airsoft.. and to be honest.. there aren't that many.. M14, SVD mainly.. then the M4 platforms with a longer barrel.. I'd prefer to have a bullpup design like the AUG and Travor 21 have very close inner barrel lengths to the M14.. But they just don't many dmr bullpups in airsoft.. unless you want to just keep throwing money at it. :lol:

In the long run I'll probably go with the M14. Question though.. does the M14 use M4 mags or are they special?

You guys do have a point about the pistons. But I don't know what you have to do to steel gears to make them strip becuase of the piston being too string.. I did have a 6mm ball bearing fail and the motor stripped the bevel gear. Which is now replaced with metal bushings because 6mm balls are usless.. (now I know.. duh :lol: ) Anyways, I want to ask you guys.. what is the longest lasting piston that you use? all plastic.. or plastic.. full steel teeth? what? I want to know. hands down.. the best one you have ever used. As far as I'm concerned, the piston will forever and always be the weakest link in the gearbox.. unless its made out of solid steel. That which they don't make.

(Here is a pic of my P90's AL piston after about 600rds.. with an M140 spring. This was a design flaw in my opinion.. with how thin that AL was under the steel teeth, it doesn't surprise me. Thin meaning 0.25mm thin. two sheets of paper thin. Aluminum isn't that strong when it is that thin.) There was a small piece of AL on the back of this, that conveniently broke off and jammed my gearbox. .. and the steel teeth are fine. It will probably rip the teeth out of the AL if I keep using it..  I'm in the process of getting my money back or fix it with JB wield :D

10520506_854474531244409_872256900297834

Edited by ericeel

Question though.. does the M14 use M4 mags or are they special?

They are special, as they don't even shoot the same round. It shoots a 7.62x51mm, whereas the M4 fires a 5.56x45mm

Steel gears can strip for a lot of reasons, Not shimmed right. motor not set correctly and grinding the pinion.To hard of a spring making a lot of stress on the gears pulling the piston back.

When looking at a "DMR" project look to be in the neighborhood of 450fps which also as Turner made comment will push a lot of things in a gearbox. This is of course if you are truly looking to go semi-auto only and a true DMR.

I personally would look into Arc's M14, just cruised the classifieds price is good for all he is throwing in the package and the G&G M14 does make one helluva DMR at 450fps. Yes, mags can be pricey, but the M14 set-up is just flat sexy.

I also have a TM SOC M14 that I bought a long time ago that I have never gotten to DMR'ing it. Stock, the gun shoots extremely well, but the fps on it is very weak. 340fps.

The TM M14 is not for the novice gun tech, the G&G is much more friendly to tech on ;)

Good luck on your build/project.

Yes, mags can be pricey, but the M14 set-up is just flat sexy.

Those mags are hard to come by, but worth it. That is one lovely gat.

Edited by ArcLight

Lets be honest, In airsoft you can turn any gun into a DMR, the Platform doesn't really matter if you have the time and money.

so just pick what you want, But I would highly suggest Arclights M14, Its been around a long time, shoots well and he has a good price on it.

As far as I'm concerned, the piston will forever and always be the weakest link in the gearbox.. unless its made out of solid steel. That which they don't make.

Not true, the piston's material would in theory only have to be stronger than the weakest part somewhere else in the GB. Ask Vacceo sometime about his ares that blew out shitty ares gears in less than 5 shots in two guns. Pistons were your typical 3 metal teeth pistons.

Regardless, do what you want but beefing up the piston will definitely cause problems elsewhere. I'd bet money on it.

• Upvote 2

And even if you want a more "modern" looking M14, you can go with the G&P M14 DMR, TM compatible parts too as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.evike.com/products/42412/

Of course you can always buy an aftermarket modern stock to put on almost any M14 replica, but still, it's nice to have it already on there lol.

nothing with a VER2  gear box in it !!! unless you switch over to hpa

the good thing is if you go with a ver  3 or 2  you can now get a programmable mosfet  that you can program the guns  semi and FA to to be semi only .

a CYMA SVD would make a nice dmr platform  or turn a rpk into a dmr  or a G36

if you wanted a multi use gun  that  has adjustable fps  you could go with a  G&G  F2000  and put a barrel extension on it and wire in a programmable fet  for semi only.