Snow Wolf Barrett M99/m107 (Aeg) Ver.2 Gearbox

Chronos

Hey guys, what do you all think of the Snow Wolf Barrett M99 (AEG) Ver.2 Gearbox? I have been looking at the reviews between the Socom Gear and the Snow Wolf Barrett, and the only real difference that I have been able to identify is cosmetics. Opinions?

Snow Wolf Barrett M99/M107 (AEG) Ver.2 Gearbox

Zinc Alloy Frame

Polymer Muzzle Break

Velocity: 400-450fps with .2g bbs

Range: 200-220 feet

Weight: Approx. 16 lbs

Magazine Capacity: Approx. 450 rds

Detachable Bipod

Battery and Charger Included

Little Less than 1:1 scale

Socom Gear M82 (Ver.2 Gearbox)

Full Metal (everything) (not pot metal)

Velocity: 380-400fps with .2g bbs

Range: 180-200 feet

Weight: Approx. 30 lbs with scope

Magazine Capacity: Approx. 180 rds

Detachable Bipod

Monopod

Battery and Charger not included

1:1 Scale (except lower receiver parts to abide by the law)

I realize that some of these could be biased based off of the sites I got the information from, but that's why I'm posting it here. I'm hoping somebody can bring out the truth in these guns.

Harv can educate you on the glory that is the socom gear, but the snow wolf is OEM'd by JG if I remember right, meaning the internals are very lackluster. Plus, with a JG V2 gearbox at that high of an FPS, it'll crack within a couple thousand rounds. I'd also be wary of the claim of 200+ feet out of the snow wolf. Some sites tend to fib on some info for guns, such as FPS and range.

the snow wolf is OEM'd by JG if I remember right

Yeah, I've been seeing mixed reviews about that. Some people say they are manufactured by JG, other's say they are manufactured by Snow Wolf, but just in the same building. Sounds sketchy, but it's the closest I can get to a real Barrett. I'm not spending a little over $1,000 for something that would just be a trophy. Also, can the Ver.2 gearbox be changed out for something better?

You should be able to put a better gearbox in, IE one that isn't made out of REALLY crappy pot metal.

What do you think of these? I looked at reviews and a gearbox, gear set, spring, and barrel upgrade were recommended. 

Gearbox:

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=19845

Gear Set:

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=34008

Spring:

Deep Fire 300% Spring

Barrel:

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=35248

Edited by jchinsky

What is the FPS output of that spring? And the barrel is WAY too long man. Ideally you want the air volume of the cylinder to match the air volume of the barrel. the gears and gearbox shell, no clue, since AEG's aren't really my usual cup of tea.

You could put a Polar Star Fusion Engine in it. Then you could really reach out and touch people.

Other than that, the replicas in question are pretty much just wall hangers.

What is the FPS output of that spring? And the barrel is WAY too long man. Ideally you want the air volume of the cylinder to match the air volume of the barrel. the gears and gearbox shell, no clue, since AEG's aren't really my usual cup of tea.

It's going to be around 450. Thanks for the tip on the barrel. Makes sense now that I think of it.

You could put a Polar Star Fusion Engine in it. Then you could really reach out and touch people.

Other than that, the replicas in question are pretty much just wall hangers.

Is there a cheaper alternative for the Polar Star Fusion Engine? I have around a $200 budget for upgrades.

You're simply not gonna get a sniper rifle upgraded for $200, man.  To get an AEG to run as a DMR costs a minimum of $500 in internal upgrades.

tp, when I mentioned the budget I meant for now. That's not even close to the total I want to spend, I just needed some basic upgrade ideas.

Start with barrel and hopup chamber and bucking and a good mosfet and batterys. The fun and money starts with the gearbox but its best done at the same time.

tp, when I mentioned the budget I meant for now. That's not even close to the total I want to spend, I just needed some basic upgrade ideas.

Ah, my bad.  I would be concerned about that piston slamming into the end of the gearbox.  Look into installing a sorbo pad.  I'm not sure about the strength of the gears, and you might want to look into a piston with metal teeth, what with a 160 spring.

Ah, my bad.  I would be concerned about that piston slamming into the end of the gearbox.  Look into installing a sorbo pad.  I'm not sure about the strength of the gears, and you might want to look into a piston with metal teeth, what with a 160 spring.

Don't worry about it. I'll look at a sorbo pad, and what thickness do you recommend for around 500 fps? It says the gears are for M130 and above, so I think they will be fine. What brand and how many metal teeth on the piston?

Edited by jchinsky

externally the socom gear is amazing

FLAWS

stock barrel is short like a foot or more inside the outer barre,l and rides along the bottom of the outer barrel has a crappy bushing to keep the barrel kind of in place

the gear box is held in place by only the 2 pistol grip screws !!! they could have drilled the receiver to fit a flora pin

you better  be ready to lug 27 or 30 LBS worth of steel around all day .

Mags are expensive .

as for the snow wolf I have no experience but you do see them up for sale cheap with almost no use all the time.

externally the socom gear is amazing

FLAWS

stock barrel is short like a foot or more inside the outer barre,l and rides along the bottom of the outer barrel has a crappy bushing to keep the barrel kind of in place

the gear box is held in place by only the 2 pistol grip screws !!! they could have drilled the receiver to fit a flora pin

you better  be ready to lug 27 or 30 LBS worth of steel around all day .

Mags are expensive .

as for the snow wolf I have no experience but you do see them up for sale cheap with almost no use all the time.

I agree, the Socom is heavy, that's why I'm going to get the Snow Wolf Barrett M107. So much lighter.

Don't worry about it. I'll look at a sorbo pad, and what thickness do you recommend for around 500 fps? It says the gears are for M130 and above, so I think they will be fine. What brand and how many metal teeth on the piston?

I'd be the wrong person to ask as I only build up to 400fps (conventional tolerances). Get in touch with the guys on airsoftsniperforum.com.  They should be able to help you figure out what you need.

borat_zps3e719226.jpg

Don't mind me, just stopping by this thread to spread the word and glory that is our star of the morning, Lord Satan.

• Upvote 2