Utg Mk96 Upgrades

Chronos

Avoid the angel custom spring. Mine failed after a few months. Personally I like mine shooting close to 500fps that will keep you med at 75 to 100ft. When you get into 600 fps bb balistics get interesting. I would suggest checking out airsoftsniperforum.com. lots of great info can be found there

Edited by Crimson

God, forget the UTG mk96 guru why don't ya :lol:

J, (I'm just gonna call you J to make things easier) what EXACTLY are you looking to do? Frankly I am no fan of evike's house brand items, so I would highly recommend sticking to lay lax/pdi.

If you're gonna go tight bore, I would highly recommend Prometheus. For the accompanying hop bucking, go for a Prometheus red because either of the hops you chose will take AEG buckings. If you get the pdi hop unit, you will have available repair parts and varying hop arms for different degrees of hop.

The thing you will want to watch with the piston/spring setup is to make sure that the spring will be able to fit inside the piston. By sticking to the same brand you eliminate that issue, but frankly the angel custom springs aren't worth it. Iirc they are 13mm of though so you could in theory put a lay lax or PCI spring in there in place of the angel spring.

One last bit, if you do decide to go all the way with a sniper rifle build, remember: You get what you pay for, and if you buy junk parts, you replace junk parts regularlly. Plus, if you go for quality brands it will have a higher resale value later down the road should you get rid of your rifle.

Thanks Acer, and J (or Jay) is what people called me at the game Saturday. That or Falcon, as our CO was Eagle and I was XO. I am looking for a sniper rifle with good accuracy at 500 fps, large range, and not too expensive. That's why I was going with Angel Custom. I understand that for those of you who play every week, these springs are terrible. However, I play only about once a month. Would it still be an issue to use these parts if I didn't play regularly (yet)?

I would still avoid the spring mine is in a S shape after very little used and dropped my fps down to around 250.   I have heard good about the rest of the parts.  But be warned up front.  The things you want out of a sniper rifle do not come cheap.  But when you spend the money and everything comes together.  and you can put BB's on target at 300ft+.   Its worth the money

Edited by Crimson

Amen crimson.... Jay, you might be fine if you remove the spring from the cylinder after each game and keep it on a dowel rod in order to keep it straight and decompressed.

Keep in mind.... I've built my L96 to accomplish a similar idea in mind, and I'm $780 into my build (give or take a few dollars). I've got the range, I've got the accuracy, but with the sub par springs I've purchased, it seems like I drop 50-100 fps each time I play (and its got PERFECT compression) because the crap springs just wear down with time and use. If you invest in quality first, you'll thank yourself later.

The long of the short is "buy once cry once". The better parts are more expensive for a reason. You won't have to replace them nearly as fast.

When I built my first sniper rifle (VSR-10) I went with a mixture of PDI, laylax, Prometheus, and Angel Custom. By the end, It didn't have any Angel Custom parts left in it. I had just under $800 in it when I got rid of it, and it took 2 years. Sniper rifle builds (the good ones) require 2 things in vast quantities: Time, and Money. If you choose to only use one of those aspects, you're wasting both.

Money

Longevity

Performance

You may have 2. Choose wisely.

Edited by SASQUATCH
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Sasquatch, that helps a lot. The reason I wanted to upgrade my UTG MK96 was because the trigger assembly broke. I wanted to repair it, but I think I am just going to get a new gun. I will probably end up getting the WellFire SR22, as it shoots around 500fps out of the box. That way, I don't have to spend nearly as much money to upgrade the internals, as it comes base around what I want FPS wise. What weight bb should I use; .25 or .28?

I will probably end up getting the WellFire SR22, as it shoots around 500fps out of the box. That way, I don't have to spend nearly as much money to upgrade the internals, as it comes base around what I want FPS wise. 

While I do understand the logic behind your choice allow me to add some food for thought if you will. If you are planning on doing the sniper thing in airsoft for any length of time then you might want to change your focus. While having a gun that shoots a high FPS is a good thing it should be the last thing on your check list. Firstly you should be focusing on concealment and comms, but thats another topic altogether. As far as your weapon goes you first want to make sure that its reliable, consistent, accurate, first then up the FPS to desired levels. You need a good platform to build the rest of your weapon off of. And like the others have said already in this topic, you get what you pay for. 

If you have not already I highly suggest reading the old threads ive written about sniping, it might help you out a little. 

~Joker 

If you buy a well sniper rifle you're asking for a heap of broken scrap metal. Well rifles are aftermarket compatible, but they are crap. Their "500fps" stock is measured with .12 most likely.

For bb weight, absolute minimum weight you want is .28, though in my opinion .36 is a happy medium between weight and accuracy.

Just so you know Jay, there really isn't any good sniper rifle that'll give you good accuracy and range out of the box. Just about any one that you purchase would need to be gutted out and rebuilt in order to get any good use out of them. That's why a lot of people recommend getting started on AEGs, because you'll want to get the maintenance and gaming fundamentals (because face it, you're not looking at a 700ft-engagement distance difference here). I can't remember if you've been directed to airsoftsniperforum.com yet, but if you haven't, it's worth a good look if you're serious about this.

UTG mk96, like you planned in the beginning. Or, a jg bar10.

Airsoft sniper forum is an absolute goldmine of information regarding just about any platform.

TP is correct about there being no good out of the box rifles. At the very minimum the hop units, triggers, and barrels need to be swapped out to pdi dual arm, pps single arm, zero trigger, and some sort of 6.03 barrel.

Edited by Acer34p3r

Ok, Thanks tp and Acer. I took a while to seriously think about whether or not I want a bolt action sniper or an AEG sniper. Right now I have a CYMA M14 EBR, and I like it, except for the fact that it's heavy. I was looking online and remembered that there is one that I have wanted for a while; the A&K Full Metal SR-25. While it is still a little heavy, it is around 2.5 pounds lighter than the M14. What are your thought's on this gun?

Edited by jchinsky

The only thing more expensive then a spring sniper is a effective Dmr. I know im building one now. If your really on a budget I really recommend just being a rifleman till you really have a grasp on the game. In the long range game you spend hundreds for gains in the 20 to 30 foot range. The Sr25 is a good platform but use a few specialty parts the can be hard to find. The v7 in your m14 is a common gun to upgrade due to the strengh of the gearbox. Do some homework on airsoftsniperforum as stated before they have a section on long range aegs.

IMO the only AEG sniper rifle would be the CYMA/real sword svd's. Along what crimson has said, a dmr AEG takes a large amount of money and work. Durable parts will cost you, and sub par parts will cost you more in the long run due to replacements being necessary rather often. On a side note, throwing a scope, a high voltage battery, and a tbb on a standard m4 won't make it a dmr.

• 2 months later...