Modifications?

Obi

I am sorry if this is in the wrong section :(  but I finally found the gun I really want. The question I have is, if I did the Mods myself would it save me money? I am a huge! fan of real steel. So I want the exact rail but a different stock. In the video airsoft GI did said that had to mod it to get the rail to fit. That I don't understand. How could some AR rails fit and others don't? I want the KWA GBB and the rail but I was wondering if I should have them build it or just put it together myself. I don't have many tools yet (still live in an apartment).

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_741&products_id=16408  <----the gun

Edited by Obi

That's a Geissele MK2 Mod 2 9.5" RIS. 

Something like that, I'd look on EHobbyAsia or EBAirsoft for something like that.  Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: The closest I've seen in the Madbull SWS RAS.  Have a look and see if that's what you're gunning for.

Edited by Endgame

To answer your question, the reason they had to do mods is because they put a Real AR15 rail on an airsoft gun, the threads are a different pitch, thus you cant put a real rail on a KWA M4. 

That said, if you are looking to run a Gas Blowback Rifle (GBBR) you are going to look at a VERY pricey gun. Mags are $40-60 a piece, meaning just for say 6 mags, its nearly $300 or so just to be able to shoot the gun at a game. You also have to deal with what is called the "cooldown" effect. Due to the gun using liquid Propane, you have to be concerned with the temperature outside. the reason being, is the gas cant warm up enough to actually turn into gas, and you end up having the gun expel the propane or whatever gas you are using due to the cooldown. 

Personally i dont see a reason to put a $300 real steel AR15 rail onto that gun (the rail costs almost as much as the base gun does), there are plenty of other rails you can put on that are just fine for airsot that are considerably cheaper. 

all this is is a fancied up, magpul'ed kwa LM4. I will never buy an "Airsoft GI custom" gun, they are overpriced and usually not made very well. 

• Upvote 2

This

If you want a KWA LM4, I say go for it. But you'd be better suited to "build" it yourself. ASGI Custom guns are overpriced.

To answer your question, the reason they had to do mods is because they put a Real AR15 rail on an airsoft gun, the threads are a different pitch, thus you cant put a real rail on a KWA M4. 

Tokyo Marui (and clones), Classic Army, & KWA use Metric threads, M32 x1.5 pitch best I can tell. Systema PTWs, G&P, WE, & ICS use the same Imperial thread as a real AR15, 1 1/4"-18 UNEF, though class of fit varies. I will agree with you that putting a real rail system on airsoft gun is silly, unless you're talking about a high-end PTW with a real (modified) upper receiver.

I'll take your word on the other talking points, you seem to give mostly solid advice.  ;)  I'm not up to date on all the fancy HSLD stuff.

Madbull makes a tool to change the pitch of your upper receiver threads to accommodate a real steel ring. I did this with my G&P upper and it worked fine, but I'm not sure if you could use it on a kwa. The best answer is google search, and YouTube. Honestly, with exception of internals, if your gbbr will accept real steel internals, there is no good reason to put RS, EXPENSIVE parts on an airsoft rifle. It's like putting a Porsche body kit on a Toyota. It may look cool, but serves no real good purpose.

There are tons of options at a quarter of the price that will work just fine for your needs.

Mags are expensive for gbbr. And, they don't always hold up, even brand new. So just be warned the gbbr world is twice as much as the aeg world, and they don't work super well in the winter because of the cool down factor. Even my co2 mags have a limit, which I found out last year was about 6 degrees. I destroyed the co2 release valve in 9 mags and had to replace them at 9.00 each. Not fun.

Ok staying away from GBBR (because of indiana weather) Is there a M4 AEG besides a systema PTW that would absolutely rock? I want to get as close to realistic as possible. I am working with $1000 for a rifle and mags. I would like to have the option to put RS parts on the gun down the road,doesn't mean I will but would like the option. You say google but seriously I have been googleing my heart out every night after work and looking at reviews and videos and I am still stumped. I just don't want to get on the field and ppl be asking "why did you get that pos". 

Stop it! Stop it now! There are plenty of gun that are great, you dot have to spend that much. Doesn't matter much what others think about it, as long as you shoot people, who cares.

I agree with gadoris,

There are other options then spending $1,000 on one gun,, you can get a few with that much money..... :frantics:

Edited by williamc

You've got the Systema PTW, Celcius CTW, and G&D DTW, in order from best to better get the PTW instead for sheer quality's sake.

Madbull makes a tool to change the pitch of your upper receiver threads to accommodate a real steel ring. I did this with my G&P upper and it worked fine, but I'm not sure if you could use it on a kwa.

The Madbull DRM die "cuts" threads from the larger Imperial threads to smaller Metric threads, in order the run the Metric barrel nut that comes with most airsoft rail systems. There is no tool to change M32 x1.5 (Airsoft) to 1 1/4"-18 UNEF (Real AR15) because the the Metric thread is smaller. Your G&P was already Imperial thread, same as a real AR15 barrel nut. Running the tool on a KWA upper will not change the threads because they're already Metric.

Stop it! Stop it now! There are plenty of gun that are great, you dot have to spend that much. Doesn't matter much what others think about it, as long as you shoot people, who cares.

I agree. Spending that much money on your first airsoft gun is crazy IMHO. Buy a regular ICS, G&P, or CA M4. If you are really determined to blow money to be a cool kid then go buy a Systema PTW. 

I don't want to be a "cool kid". I just want the best quality. In paintball I bought the mid range markers and they ended up being a waste of money. I went out and bought a dye dam for $1400 and it was the best thing since sliced bread. Did not break. Easy to clean and durable. It was worth the money.

Paintball is not Airsoft. A $250 AEG will serve you plenty well if you don't throw it down hills and beat on it. You can make a quality AEG plenty durable, upgrade parts are cheap and widely available, as are good techs. If something breaks in your $1k+ used PTW you can expect to shell out a couple hundred in parts to fix it. PTWs get great performance when they work right, just the same as a good AEG.

I owned a PTW once, and I'm not against anyone buying them, but they're only worth the money to a small market of airsofters, those chasing a high performance platform for a reason. The most expensive gun I own now ran me ~$400 close to 10 years ago, and I still use it almost every game I attend.

I know "most expensive is bestest" is the mantra among paintballers, it goes with the whole paintball community's attitude these days. That is simply not the case with airsoft, take what you want from that. You've gotten this same advice from 10 people here already, but I don't think we're gonna change your mind.

• Upvote 1

Gif my phone makes me look stupid, if you're stuck I m4s, I'd look into ics. From what I seen easiest to maintain and up grade due to the split gearbox.

Paintball is not Airsoft. A $250 AEG will serve you plenty well if you don't throw it down hills and beat on it. You can make a quality AEG plenty durable, upgrade parts are cheap and widely available, as are good techs. If something breaks in your $1k+ used PTW you can expect to shell out a couple hundred in parts to fix it. PTWs get great performance when they work right, just the same as a good AEG.

I owned a PTW once, and I'm not against anyone buying them, but they're only worth the money to a small market of airsofters, those chasing a high performance platform for a reason. The most expensive gun I own now ran me ~$400 close to 10 years ago, and I still use it almost every game I attend.

I know "most expensive is bestest" is the mantra among paintballers, it goes with the whole paintball community's attitude these days. That is simply not the case with airsoft, take what you want from that. You've gotten this same advice from 10 people here already, but I don't think we're gonna change your mind.

Thank you for your input. I really greatly appreciate it. Unfortunately your assumption is wrong. I wish I was set on something. I do have to admit this community is pretty rockin. I have received tons of messages and a couple phone calls to talk about airsoft and different guns. I am a shy person and the phone calls didn't bother me at all. And there is the 1%....yea my advice would be think before you speak. Please don't make assumptions and don't put a person down when you haven't even met them. (totally not against you comrade I appreciate what you said.)

Gadoris I will do my research on ICS thank you sir!

There is one thing we do exceptionally well here, and that is community; Glad you have received a warm welcome. I get what you mean, dually noted.

I will second Gadoris's referal to the ICS M4/M16 series. Several members here use them, I have a few older ones myself. They are reliable and shoot smoothly out of the box. Run it stock for awhile, you might not even want any additional internal upgrades.

I can also vouch for ICS.  My first AEG (that I'm still using) is an ICS.  I currently have two, and I'll be getting a third later this year.

Back on subject: I completely agree with what S_Z said about running your gun stock for a while.  Avoid opening your gun unless absolutely necessary, and if you're not sure, ask a tech.  We have plenty here and I'm very sure there are a few nearby you.

I can also vouch for ICS.  My first AEG (that I'm still using) is an ICS.  I currently have two, and I'll be getting a third later this year.

Back on subject: I completely agree with what S_Z said about running your gun stock for a while.  Avoid opening your gun unless absolutely necessary, and if you're not sure, ask a tech.  We have plenty here and I'm very sure there are a few nearby you.

Yea I screwed up a paintball gun doing that back in the day. I won't open my gun until I can sit down with a tech. :D  Great advice thank you guys