Noobie Troubles

Bravo Hotel

Hello guys! It's been awhile since I've last been onto this site, due to sports, injuries, school, and everything you can imagine. But now that the storm has been beaten down and the injury has basically run it's course, I've been able to think about airsoft a little more. And to my surprise, my friends (avid and diehard paintball players) have decided to put down there markers and pick up some airsoft guns;

But that is where the problem starts.

They are wanting to pick $200-$400 guns right off of the bat. This includes the G&P DX Magpul Battle Rifle, a Classic Army M249 Para, a Magpul PTS Masada, and countless other highly expensive guns. Being that this has been the first summer that most of us could actually earn money for part time jobs, they have that kind of their own money to spend apparently. Now usually I would be pissing my pants with enjoyment that almost all of my close friends have finally saw the light and will be joining me in my airsoft crusades, but it doesn't feel right. Yes, this sounds very dumb, but it's like there's a disturbance in the force, how they aren't taking the traditional way through airsoft (IMHO) like I did:

Backyard Wars with Springers

Crosman

Better Crosman

Combat Machines/CYMA AK's

More Higher/Medium end Guns

This seems to concern me in a very bad way, knowing that only two of them have every even touched an airsoft gun and now they want to go all out with this. Like for example, what if they hate airsoft completely and just waste $200+ dollars on guns and equipment. The only reason they are doing this is to catch up with me, to be equal with me so they don't suck right out of the gate. Please, any tips on how I can convince them to by Combat Machines, or lower end guns? Or is this not a problem at all and I'm just crazy? Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I do not condone newer players getting Crosman guns or Crosman BB's, as they are really low performance and the BB's have been linked to many problems in the gearbox. Sorry to anybody that took it in the wrong way, I do not mean it like that.

Edited by Bravo Hotel

The way you got into airsoft taught you something they don't get right now...something you need to tell them...It's not about who has the better gun, skills, or kills. It's about having fun. And lets be honest...an experienced airsofter can take out a n00b with a minigun with a crosman.

The only reason they are doing this is to catch up with me, to be equal with me so they don't suck right out of the gate. Please, any tips on how I can convince them to by Combat Machines, or lower end guns? Or is this not a problem at all and I'm just crazy? Thank you in advance.

It reads like this is more about your own ego, attempting to sustain your self-perceived role as bestest airsofter in the group. JMHO.

I would think that a good friend would be helping to guide them into durable and dependable AEGs, not advising them to buy cheap guns due to personal nostalgia of "traditional" airsoft experiences.There's nothing wrong with buying a quality weapon when starting out; My first airsoft gun was a TM AKS, top of the line at the time, and I'm glad there weren't so many cheap gun options to waste my money on back then. I am also grateful that I did not have a more experienced friend telling me to buy a cheaper AEG when he himself runs a quality AEG. ;)

That said, buying a quality weapon will not make you a better player, something they're likely aware of if they're avid paintballers. The only big concern you should have with their transition to airsoft is to not bring the paintball mentality with them. This is not a sport about competition and bragging rights, it is a hobby based on trust and mutual respect of your fellow players. There is a big difference in how it is played, why it is played, and the local community that surrounds the two.

• Upvote 6

Yea I don't quite agree with this. I started off with a KWA CQB M4 (bought used off a friend, but still) and had the money to buy a couple camo sets and a starter plate carrier. I wanted to get into airsoft knowing what it's actually about, rather then slowly making my way into it. You never know, they could go with low end stuff and feel as if they're not having as much fun, and not want to continue further. I know when I run guns that don't have the range and accuracy that some of my higher end AEG's have, I sometimes get in situations where I know there's really no other way to get a drop on somebody and all you really need is range. That being said, it is definitely better to know how to move on the field and your positioning an what-not, but starting off with higher end gear and weapons will only help your buddies into enjoying the experience more IMO.

You never know, they could go with low end stuff and feel as if they're not having as much fun, and not want to continue further.

^^THIS.

It'd be better for them to get quality stuff first, rather than lower end stuff. Not only because they may get more enjoyment out of the sport having guns that dont suck, and should they wish to leave the sport, it's easier to get your money back on a higher end gun. It's their money, let them use it how they wish.

Edited by Acer34p3r

Honestly if they want to play on a serious level they will save hundreds of dollars getting a good reliable gun out of the gate.  That being said, they may get the gun they THINK they want.  As soon as you play and you see what other cool setups people can run, that may change.

Be glad they are not all buying Sniper rifles.   And want to come pew pew with you.   If they are all coming from paintball the cost of the gear you quoted is still less then a few cases of paint.

• Upvote 1

I would have to agree with a previous posts and I wish I had had someone tell me straight up to buy quality stuff. After a few bad AEGS and crappy gear and wasted money I have learned my lesson the hard way.

Also, the right mentality is WAY bigger than anything else you have to purchase. It took me a good long while to understand this and have paid dearly for it. I look for the next event more to push myself then to win. (I also came from a paintballing experience)

Attitude, attitude attitude is everything.

Attitude, attitude attitude is everything.

Solid advice for all players, regardless of their tenure playing. It is something Indiana players do not really appreciate until spending a good deal of time playing out of state.

Solid advice for all players, regardless of their tenure playing. It is something Indiana players do not really appreciate until spending a good deal of time playing out of state.

Me being from Louisville, it's vice versa. A good attitude is hard to come by anymore around my area, and it kind of becomes the norm. The one or two games I've played in Indiana, and to all the Indiana players I've came across out of state, I really commend you guys on the way airsoft functions and how things are dealt with. AI is a hell of a model for airsoft communities. Keep up the work guys, much respect.

Edited by Viper__
  • Upvote 2

It reads like this is more about your own ego, attempting to sustain your self-perceived role as bestest airsofter in the group. JMHO.

:blush: lol yes, this is how it is with the situation that I'm in; I'm very competitive with all my friends, and they are competitive with me, that's just how it is I guess. I now see my wrongs, and should let my friends experience the game for themselves. I'm just one of two plastic flingers in my group of friends, and the other one person in my group and I take pride in airsoft, and want the best for the game in general. And I understand now that this is more or less pissing on airsoft in my area with what I'm trying to do. I wish that I would have taken the Crosman part out now, as it implies that I'm for newer players picking up Crosman gear as i mistakenly did as a younger kid. I'm just trying to say that I think IMO that they should start lower, like a Combat Machine, to get more used to the game without dishing out their whole wad of summer cash. But hey, it's there money, and i'll advice them to buy quality guns, thank you, and I can't wait to see you more on the field! Haven't got the chance to be on your team or play with you at all yet  :unsure:   

Be glad they are not all buying Sniper rifles.

Two of them are considering it, but I see what you mean. Thank you

Well honestly, we all get introduced differently. I didn't do steps 1-3 either. I played paintball, met some airsofters, talked to them about it, wanted to try it and bout myself my E1 m4 which is my princess :) and I still to this day haven't played a backyard Airsoft game, my first game was a Night Archer in Ohio. So I wouldn't be worried/disappointed, just because they didn't piddle around with crappy guns and play in back yards. Each person enters into Airsoft their own way.

It's not about the gun, it's about the man behind it.

TRUTH.

You could give the biggest moron in the world the best gun and he'd still suck. You could give a good player a crappy gun and watch them wreck house with said crappy gun.

Honestly, advising them to get cheap/crappy guns is horrible advice. MY good friend advised me NOT to buy a cheapo gun and just buy a good gun from the get-go. I ignored it and bought an Echo1. That thing broke every game I played with it, until I bought a new aftermarket gearbox...then I spent money in other crap and before you know it, I could have bought a KWA brand new and been done with it. I ended up wasting money and actually getting a bad taste in my mouth for airsoft. In the end, I love it but buying cheap crappy guns is definitely something I tell people to NEVER do.

The thing is, you want them to come in and be "wow'd" by how fun and cool airsoft is vs paintball. They will not get that experience if their gun breaks every 10 minutes. I'm not all about a M249 for a 1st gun though lol.

Honestly, advising them to get cheap/crappy guns is horrible advice. MY good friend advised me NOT to buy a cheapo gun and just buy a good gun from the get-go. I ignored it and bought an Echo1.

I'm not advising them to get the very crappy stuff like Crosman as I've stated in the lines before this (Sorry for any misinterpretation, second read made it sound like I was condoning it), I just want them to start out with a decent gun without dishing out $300 dollars. And with the Echo 1 generalization, you need to be more specific weapon wise. I've owned and known a guy who's owned an Echo 1 weapon (MTC 1 me, Stag Arms M16 him) which have held up very nicely, and I would recommend an Echo 1 to many people honestly.