G&p M14 Dmr Recon Prototype

Bravo Hotel

After a week and one late train later, a box was sitting on my doorstep after school. As you can tell from the title, it's the G&P M14 DMR Prototype. It was long awaited but I will not make this review biased because of how excited I am with it.

Now starting with what Evike said about G&P's external finish which was: "G&P's world famous external finish". The finish in my opinion could have been better, the polymer is pretty "creaky" and almost doesn't feel right to me I guess. But just because it doesn't feel good, doesn't mean it isn't strong/good looking. Being an idiot, I took the gun out and almost immediately dropped it on accident....on concrete. Expecting the worse I looked away because I knew something had broken off or snapped in half. Finally when I looked back, it was COMPLETELY unharmed. No cracks, nothing broke off, and there is only one very small scratch in the paint. This stock is great, it has to be strong to be dropped from my height to concrete and still have almost no damage.

Now to the metal parts; the charging handle is what looks to be quality made, and after racking it off many many times, (Just to hear that amazing THWACK), there is only a little bit of paint chipping, which I think gives it character. The metal outer barrel is nice too and all of the metal parts IMO have a very nice finish too. Nothing looks too cheap or glossy, the same can go for all of the polymer parts. Another plus too me is the markings and serial number on the back of the receiver.

I will do a shooting review in a little time, but time for some pics!

2013-04-30172805_zps9d553fc2.jpg?t=1367361655

Edited by Bravo Hotel

After some backyard shooting in my woods, I've concluded that the range isn't exactly great and could use some improving, but the accuracy is pretty impressive IMHO. It was very windy outside but I was using .25's. But towards the end of the bb's flight it would go right, right before it hit the ground, but pretty straight through out the flight. So my conclusion: Good, but DEFINITELY in need of some improvements; but the real test will be target-heavy OP: US 2, so I will take it to that game and make a more detailed accuracy/range review afterwards. Stay Frosty

Sorry, kind of a de-rail, but if you ordered the "Proto Recon" version, they sent you the wrong one my friend.

The "Proto Recon" version has a shorter barrel, and RIS rails on the top, bottom, and sides of the front hand guard.

Yours looks like the "Proto" version. With the longer barrel, and no RIS rails.

Proto version:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_219&products_id=42411

Proto Recon:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_219&products_id=42414

• Upvote 1

Oh yes I forgot...I was going to buy that version but I went with the longer one. They sent me the right one I just made the title wrong lol; thanks sasquatch.

No weapon has been thoroughly drop tested until Dr_Die has crushed it underneath his body.

;)

• Upvote 1

looks good! the G&P M14's use a TM style M14 hopup and gearbox so the accuracy issues can easily be fixed, and TM M14's are widely regarded as one of the most accurate out-of-the-box guns out there. cant say im a huge fan of the stock style, but i can think of why they went that way instead of the traditional stock.

its next true test will be out in the field! cant wait to hear how she performs!

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I can't wait to use it but I'm going to wait to upgrade it; because if it's not broken, don't fix it lol.

I think you'd be perfectly OK sticking a TBB in it. That's a REALLY easy, and non-invasive upgrade. That would give you a bit more range, accuracy, and a slight boost in velocity.

When it comes to upgrades I agree. No broke, no fix. But, TBB's...I put them in almost every gun I have no matter what.

Edited by SASQUATCH

I think you'd be perfectly OK sticking a TBB in it. That's a REALLY easy, and non-invasive upgrade. That would give you a bit more range, accuracy, and a slight boost in velocity.

When it comes to upgrades I agree. No broke, no fix. But, TBB's...I put them in almost every gun I have no matter what.

Yeah i'm planning on a madbull black python inner barrel for it in the future

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so after the wet battle at OPUS2, I have a feel for how it shoots and here is my review:

At chrono it came in a little higher than 350 with .2's which was lower than what I was hoping but nothing that can't be fixed if wanted. Now on the field; I was using Matrix Bio .25 BBS and if there was a lot of wind, I didn't feel it probably because I was in the pines most of the time I was using it. The BB's were going very straight but to my disappointment, they were falling shorter than what I was expecting, even when I was shooting it in my backyard. But I'll just buy a longer TBB and put a short mock suppressor on the end of it, even if that means I can't use the metal flash hider that came with it :( lol. But I was able to stay back and play my role as medic and still be able to hit players and provide support for my teammates so range wasn't a horrible problem. The only small problem I had with the range was one time some tans decided to move farther back so I had to go up with my teammates to lay some plastic downfield, which was a good and bad thing because I was closer to my squad to "heal" them but I was also in the direct line of fire. But back on topic, I was able to pull the trigger on semi automatic as fast as I would want to and I would never get the sound of the gears not turning all the way around like I would get in my MTC every once in awhile which is nice because that gave me trust init to know that when I pulled the trigger multiple times quickly, it wouldn't fail on me.

So my final conclusion on it's shooting is that it shoots hard beams, but they fall quicker than wanted, but that's an easy fix. Can't wait to use it at another OP.