Kwa Mp7 - Extended Barrel Question

Raphiki

Gentlemen,

I have been trying to do some fact checking on a video I found, but as much of the finer details are hard to find and when you do find things it speculation at best. It certainly sounds legit (or at least somewhat) and I was going to ask for opinions; preferably based on experience.

In the video below, this guy explains that he installed an extended inner barrel into an MP7, and he got about a 125-150fps boost. I would really like to fact check this, and or get a decent explanation of why this guy is right or wrong.

Thanks in advance!

That is the angry gun MP7 silencer, and yes it does do that. It is a mock suppressor with a tight-bore inner barrel inside of it that attaches right onto the MP7 flash hider. Now, you would think that having a two piece inner barrel with a joint would mess with accuracy, but surprisingly, it doesn't. I personally own the MP9 version of this and one of my guys owns this MP7 version.

The biggest plus for me is that I run the cqb bolt in mine, so I am cqb legal. However, this silencer allows me to squeeze a few more fps out of the gun for slightly better range as far as field play goes. Again, you would think that the two piece barrel wouldn't be good, but it actually helps with groupings somehow.

It will not however, boot your fps by 125. It will only boot it between 30 and 65 tops.

Hanback - if you don't mind me asking, what FPS does your MP9 shoot with the cqb bolt? (Not to threadjack - just curious).

Hanback - if you don't mind me asking, what FPS does your MP9 shoot with the cqb bolt? (Not to threadjack - just curious).

The NS2 SMGs generally shoot anywhere from 370-390 at room temperature with the normal bolt. With the CQB bolt, they come in from 330-350.

I will emphasize that this is highly dependent on temperature and that extremely high temps will drive FPS +100 in rare cases.

I have been trying to do some fact checking on a video I found, but as much of the finer details are hard to find and when you do find things it speculation at best. It certainly sounds legit (or at least somewhat) and I was going to ask for opinions; preferably based on experience.

In the video below, this guy explains that he installed an extended inner barrel into an MP7, and he got about a 125-150fps boost. I would really like to fact check this, and or get a decent explanation of why this guy is right or wrong.

This is certainly a good question, unfortunately he is incorrect in his identification of product. Hanback is speaking of this product, the Angry Gun "Power Up" silencer which is exactly as he described: http://shop.ehobbyas...-smg-black.html

Instead, the guy in the video has installed the following parts:

A+ 6.01mm 363-370mm Tightbore: http://shop.ehobbyas...-mp7-370mm.html

UFC Silencer: http://shop.ehobbyas...ex-mp7-gbb.html

The guy in the video is absolutely correct in his definition of how the gas will behave in the weapon system (at least the first minute or two, I did not watch the rest...). The primary differences between his system and the system described by Hanback are the initial barrel diameter (more gas is constricted behind the BB in the tight-bore) and that there is no alignment issues between the two barrels or space between them for gas to further expand wasting energy.

Given my previous use and knowledge of the MP7, the video make is not lying when he said he can pick up over 100 FPS. The NS2 systems actually waste a lot of gas each shot that does not fully expand with the short barrels. This excess gas is wasted space that contributes to the "bang" from the MP7, making it loud(er). You would see the same effect in real-steel going from a 10" to 20" AR barrel. (SBRs are much louder too). Velocity would improve about 25-40% depending on the bullet, powder, etc. Its not unreasonable to assume that the same is possible on the MP7 given its almost 400FPS original velocity.

Unfortunately, this "upgrade" would make the weapon system almost unusable in the US, which usually requires 400 FPS+ weapons to be mechanically limited to semi only.

If you are planning on purchasing and fielding the MP7, please PM me. I have used them many times and owned 4 to date and have plenty of tips and tricks. Generally speaking, they perform flawlessly bone-stock and it is good to have the CQB bolt for indoors or very hot outdoor play.

If you do plan on using a TBB on the MP7, you MUST get a NPAS (adjustable velocity device) or a CQB bolt. To be safe, the NPAS is the best bet since +100 FPS on the CQB bolt gets you to about 430-450 fps.

As a side note, it is a real PITA to get to the barrel and hop-up in a MP7. Do not do it unless you have the specialized tools and patience!

Edited by -Rogue-

Rogue and all, thanks for the opinions and the info.

There were a few mods I was considering; mostly to bring down the FPS of my weapon and or increase accuracy. When I saw the video, it kind of made me go, "whoa", and I had to check.

I think I will end up changing out the barrel and hop-up to falcon (I have read repeatedly that is a wise move that will increase accuracy), and change my bolt assembly to the low power version. I want to do this because my MP7 just makes people hurt, and I want it to be cleared and safe for CQB play. I do like the Angry Gun Silencer in addition to my idea for when I hit the field. It appears the best of all worlds, and I appreciate the great suggestion, Hanback.

On another note, my eyes will be peeled for someone abusing some of these little known facts and not-easily-recognizable but easy to install mods. They have potential to be really dangerous.

I ran all mine with stock internals, low power bolt and .3 BBs.

Ran perfectly. Just ask a few of my victims on this very forum. Ha!

The key to any GBB is to run heavy BBs. Heavier BBs give better consistency, therefore better accuracy. A TBB or hop up upgrade will do very little if you run .25s or below.

Well, I ran that MP7 as a primary for quite some time. I know the stock internals are damn good. But, there needs to be maintenance (gun is ~3 years old, and 2 years w/o any major problems) and a few replacement parts to keep the gun in nominal operating condition. Instead of going completely stock, I decided that I was going to put a few recommended parts in there.The Falcon Hop-Up is a highly recommended item because it doesn't swell from silicon oil. (for example). I also need some piston guide springs, low power bolt, and maybe some seals. (I need to get some jeweler hexes for further inspection.)

Edit: I have always ran .23 / .25 through my MP7. I was considering going to .30 based on a lot of info I have read recently. I think a new and better rated Hop-Up will be a pretty good investment considering how inexpensive they are.

Edited by Raphiki

With the cqb bolt im chronoing about 335ish in an indoor environment held at 75 degrees. With the silencer then attached, at that same indoor environment at 75, im chronoing at about 375ish. As Rogue said though, once I got outside here in the hot floria sun, fps continues to increase a bit. I am yet to actually hit 400 though.

On another note, my eyes will be peeled for someone abusing some of these little known facts and not-easily-recognizable but easy to install mods. They have potential to be really dangerous.

Believe me I know. There is a team down here that plays at an indoor field that I sometimes attend, and they are always shooting hot. One of the times I saw one of the guys running around with a KMP9 with the power-up silencer attached. When the game ended I went up and talked with him and when I asked If he had the cqb bolt installed (keep in mind this is an indoor cqb environment) he responded with and I quote "Well I have the cqb bolt, but its at home and I dont think im ever going to install it. Its just a hassle and anyways I get better groupings with the high power bolt and it ensures that people call their hits." That bastard lit me up later in the day and broke skin on me, and two of my guys that were playing. If anything would actually be enforced down here, then that wouldn't be allowed, but there is literally nothing I can do about it.

You can be damn sure that when I get back to Indiana though, I will not let this happen anywhere.