Plastic receiver fix!

moof

As most know, those darn top plastic receiver tabs that break can be a pain in your side!!! Well I was sitting around the house the other day thinking to myself a way to "reinforce" those tabs to make them a liitle stronger so they won't break. So here is what I came up with:

Tools:

Drill, drill bits

A dremel

Loctite Stik n' Seal Ultra

aircraft shears

26 gauge sheet metal

I did this project before I thought about taking pics of the process, so please forgive me for not having pics!!

First thing is to draw or trace the tab to be reinforced on a piece of the sheet metal. You WILL need aircraft shears to cut the sheet metal unless you want to use a cutting wheel, but will be a whole lot messier and time consuming.

After piece is cut, you need to use a dremel to shave down the sharp edges and this also helps you form the rounded edges just like the original tab shape on the receiver. Then you will need to find out where exactly the hole is going to go for you body pin. Then drill hole a little bit bigger than original tab hole just in case you off center the reinforcement piece.

Using your Dremel or what ever you may have, it may be best to scuff the sheet metal to make it "clean" so the Loctite can adhere well. Then simply line up reinforcement piece on receiver tab and use the Loctite to bond it together and walk away!

IMG_0792.jpg

This is the Loctite I chose to use, mends pretty much to anything!

IIMG_0795.jpg

I used the 26 gauge sheet metal because of it's thinness and it's strength but also easy enough to bend and shape!

IMG_0796.jpg

Here is one of my receivers done with the reinforcement, notice you can see in the pic where the tab had broke before and I had fixed before too..

IMG_0798.jpg

Here is my other receiver with the reinforcement