Please For The Love Of All That Is Nice Don't Do This

Hanback

So there is an airsoft team back in Florida at Riddle where I go to school, and there are quite a few kids that play. This is my second year down there and people know that I am a very skilled gun tech, so needless to say there is always someone wanting some work done. Well anyways, there is one kid in particular who bough a KWA SR10 for like $150 (which surprised me at first) and said that it was seized up and everything he tried didn't work and he didn't really want to mess with it anymore because he didn't really know what he was doing, so I told him that i would bring it back home with me over break and just overhaul the gun for him and get it performing well again. Anyways I opened her up and found out why it was so cheap (absolutely none of the internals except the wiring was KWA as someone had taken all the KWA parts out and replaced them with mismatched this and that) but one thing I found in particular was a very nice aftermarket piston head....until I noticed his quick fix.

2012-12-23110757_zps3dfd752f.jpg

2012-12-23110810_zps121d19b1.jpg

Whatever got into this kids head to do this I don't know. He freakin epoxied a washer to the piston head, filling up all the holes in it virtually destroying his compression and causing the piston to then be ripped in half length-ways, and yes I said IN HALF LENGTH-WAYS ....I have no idea how in the hell a piston fails in that manor, im still guessing, but he managed to do it. Anyways, I had to salvage this damn thing, so I pried the washer off and then started chipping away at the epoxy.

2012-12-23110856_zps2731dc3c.jpg

2012-12-23111531_zps1086254b.jpg

After thirty minutes of chipping and re-drilling I managed to get it cleaned up, even though now it doesn't look as nice as it should and just looks like crap...

2012-12-23112146_zps58da1a41.jpg

Moral of the story;

Tinkering with your guns is a good thing and fixing things yourself is how you learn to work with guns, trial and error method is best. Everyone makes mistakes and messes things up, even the best of us gun techs, its how we learn. So yes crap happens, but for petes sake people, use some damn common sense when your doing a DIY fix, and don't be retarded like this....

Wow!!! The only thing i can even think of was that he was trying to correct AOE but damn that seems like an awful backasswards way to go about it, good luck with the rebuild me, BTW you would not recognize that Echo 1 stag I got from you a while back, thanks again. Sorry for the mini thread jack

• 2 weeks later...

I've been through a ton of guns through the years many less than well cared for and never seen anything close to that. thats great! haha

With the guns I work on, it never fails that I find some stupid "fix" that just hurts the gun more. This was truly a first though.

• 1 month later...