The Evolution Of Your Airsoft Career

Spectre

So, I've interested. I want to know some things if you are willing to share.

• What got you into airsoft?
  • What was your first gun?
  • Where does your loadout stand now?
  • Anything you want in the near future?
  • and any other bits of information you would like to share

For me, it was...

• I'll be honest. Call Of Duty. Don't judge. I don't think I can quick scope you from half way across the field. I don't think I can drop shot you. Just wanted to get into something a little more "real"
  • First gun was a TM FAMAS. Didn't know TM was all that great at the time so I sold it dirt cheap to a friend. How I regret that day...
  • My current loadout consists of a VFC SR16 CQB, KSC G17, and an Eagle Industries RRV w/ map and pouches and mags of course! BDUs so far includes DESPAT and MARPAT. Hope to add multicam in there here soon!
  • I hope to make here soon an M27 IAR and probably get myself a KWA HK45. Maybe a VFC SCAR-L too...

Looking forward to what you guys have to say!

• Upvote 1

Great topic Spectre.

• Real steel ammo was getting expensive to train with.

• first and current gun cyma ak47u

•my load out is my real steel vodoo plate carrier and various pieces robbed from my hiking kit. Looks like a PMC load out.

• hope to find some multicam bdus soon.

•may at times seem uptight about muzzle safety so I apologize in advance if it bothers you, force of habit when training with real firearms.

• Upvote 1

- Beastmug and myself got into airsoft when we went to Gallyans sports in Castleton and saw a couple of kids back in the airsoft section shooting each other with them haha. Started playing 1v1 backyard battles at our house, slowly dragged our friends into it and started playing early when I was in high school (2005-ish). Took a several year break when I was busy with school and a band, got back in when we found the IAA as I was ending my senior year of high school (2009)

-First gun was, technically, some Cybergun Micro Uzi (spring action). Started playing larger games with a Scoped Super 9 (lol noob) and then got into the IAA with a Dboys SCAR-L

-My loadout... Doing mostly US NSW stuff now. Had a Russian kit in the past as well. I try to use as much real gear as possible, but I use a few higher quality replicas on a regular basis as well (no shame). Currently, I run:

a. MICH2000 ballistic helmet, ESS NVG Goggles

b. Blackhawk AOR1 HPFU/ITS combat uniform, Navy issued AOR2 uniform, DCU or M81 Woodland, Patagonia PCU Level 5 Jacket for cold/rainy weather

c. Toy Soldier 6094K Plate carrier or Mayflower HK417 RECCE chest rig, depending on primary weapon; TAG Battle Belt

d. VFC MK18 Mod1, VFC MK17 Mod0, TM MP7A1

e. TM 5-7 , TM G17

f. Merrell MOAB Ventilator boots

-Near future; would like to add a either a cut-down M79 grenade launcher or a dedicated bolt action sniper rifle, as well as more AOR1/AOR2 gear

Thats about it.

• Upvote 1

I had a deer problem in my yard and I was in city limits

googled airsoft to see how to maintenance the gun after I had instilled the fear of man back into those tame deer

found the IAA and trolled the forum for a month looking for a local game I emailed joker about attending then came out to the game and was impressed by how friendly everyone was and how very welcoming they all were.

I was hooked after that game back in 09.

my first gun was a cybergunM4A! CQB and still works great I have gone through a few guns over the years but had a mutt gun I built that was my primary and it held up for 2 years before the piston stripped.it has been fixed but doesn't get used as much as I have built a few other guns I like more so she get neglected

I have too much stuff now but most of it gets used each year

• Upvote 1

-- Lilaltes Showed me some video's of the boys over in the UK playing airsoft and I told him it looks like fun, this was about 6 years ago. I also thought to myself that he and I needed some more exercise in our lives and also this was a great chance to bond with each other :D. the first 6 months or so all I did was troll the forums and try to learn what we needed, got me a set of the NEW tru-spec multicam and a western arms gbb m4 (freaking thing blew up on green gas the first day I got it :mad: turns out you could only run them on duster gas). So one day we saw that the Mercs was beginning to host some stuff at there old field in Indy, so I went to Dicks and bought a 50 dollar airsoft gun, that you put the bb's in the fake scope on top :lol: and showed up with Thomas. Now that was the only gun we had, so we both ran around together and took turns with the gun, it took all freaking day before we was able to get 1 kill with that thing, but we had the most fun than we ever had before, and we were both hooked from then on.

-- Load-out, will I have most of the US camo types, run with a pantac rrv (cb) with the RRV Hydration Pack, (cb), love my KWA side arm and rifle's, got my Spec-ops helmet, ess goggles, Rocky desert boots, full coms, etc, etc, etc. I do consider myself a gear whore, I can't help it.

-- I have been looking at the G&P stubby killer lately

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=28511

it has my name all over it, I already have that grip and butt stock on my SR12

looking forward to playing a few more years with all of you guys before I go back to golf and grow old B)

• Upvote 1

My very, VERY, VERY first game, I wore Woodland BDUs, rented a gun, ran an old woodland LBV, and thought I was going to kidnapped by Solution_Zero and Pointman.

Started out wearing dark tiger stripe, a black Blackhawk! DOAV, and a way upgraded CA M15A4 CQBR, after I got slightly established:

harvhist2_zps531e3162.jpg

harvhist1_zps12ad07c8.jpg

Today, I don't have an 'impression'. I run with a team out of Kentucky quite a bit known as the Guffies, doing a Russian impression, but most of the time when I am on my own (which is, most of the time), I do my own thing which is a fusion of Russian uniforms and kit, and western gear/weapons. I call it my 'Russian Space Pirate' load out.

IMG_0293_zpse9a46289.jpg

I have as time has passed, fallen into a heavy weapon load out, which come this week, is probably going to change how I play airsoft for the rest of forever.

• Upvote 4

Started going to "real" games in the summer of 2004, traveled from Indy to Ohio every weekend with PointMan (Springfield, Red Dragon, etc). Founded the IAA in the summer of 2005. Founded IMCO in the spring of 2006. Loadout is still essentially the same, Russian and OPFOR kit. I now run with the Guffie Coalition out of Kentucky, great group of guys. Also getting the ORIA project off the ground, US Woodland with black kit, putting vets and newer players together to show them what airsoft is truely about. Met a lot of really great people along the way, learned a thing or two. Some of the very first guys I started playing airsoft with are still my best friends, stood in my wedding, and I'm grateful for their presence in my life over the years.

My first two guns, TM AKS47 & VSR-10, spring of 2004:

VSRcollagesmaller.jpg

ASL game, spring of 2006:

P4090014.jpg

IMCO, Camp Atterbury training, 2006:

IMCOatAtterbury11506.jpg

Safari Strike 3, 2007 (brutally hot day):

DSCN1132.jpg

DSCN1135.jpg

Blind Fury IV, 2007:

S_ZSovietAfghan1smallcropped-1.jpg

GreyBeards, 2010:

P1010354.jpg

Blind Fury VIII, 2011:

BF805.jpg

Guffie Coalition, Blind Fury IX, 2012:

GuffieCoalitionteampicBF9.jpg

Weapons? Make mine a Kalashnikov, every time.

DSCN0797.jpg

BF806.jpg

• Upvote 3

I got involved with IAA back in 06/07 because I was a pretty avid paintball-er, but did not enjoy the path that sport was headed down (speedball, corporate sponsors, etc) Twas my sophomore year at IU, so I hopped on google and with very little research, was able to find IAA. I joined the forums, nubbed my way around a bit, did some research, made some posts and got to know some of the members. I was really impressed with how inclusive and helpful people were, which was a welcome change from paintball. I looked through the pics and vids of games and knew it was what I wanted to do.

IMCO invited me to run with them, so I ordered a TM ak47 and some russian tigers. I started going to game all over the tri-state area and met lots of really cool people. I eventually sold the TM ak (regrettably now, as I'm sure it's still kicking somewhere) bought an ICS or CA(Cant remember now) AK74, a couple Hi-cappa pistols, and a TM mp7 for cqb. I also bought a CA SR25. After I stripped some gears in those, I saved some money and bought a Systema PTW. Gawd it was a sexy rifle.... mmmm. But I had to sell it in order to pay some bills and my involvement in the sport was declining as I progressed in my college career.

Now I'm back, and I'm re-gearing up. So my current loadout will look something like:

-ICS CXP concept

-ICS/CA ak74 (Parts mode atm though)

-Hicappas

-Russian Tigers/multicam

-ESS Turbos

-5.11 Speed Boots

-Still deciding on a vest, but I have an old cruddy one that I used in the past.

I love having the bug!

65_562340822389_9057_n_zpsfc0d08a6.jpg

65_562340832369_9542_n_zps7d79ca0d.jpg

P1040485.jpg

65_562340792449_5952_n_zps136d43ae.jpg

Edited by nebanon
  • Upvote 2

Wow. All of you have very interesting stories. It's cool seeing where everybody gets their start. Now hopefully winter will go away faster than normal (you know, with the whole global warming thing and all) and we can all get back on the field. I know I personally am tired of just chairsofting.

I played college football and was a college hammer thrower... After graduation I began my coaching career... Exciting as this was I was still driven with the need to compete... I found my self trying different things to fill the void that football had left... I stumbled upon the IAA and began trolling the site... I after I did a lot of research into airsoft... I contacted the nearest player to me at the time... Crimson... He owned a local photography studio at the time and was doing a photo shoot for Place I'm not suppose to talk about... ... He invited me to come and check it out and I did...

My first game was the 600 player CPX game... Even though it was ran poorly... I had a blast... I have been hooked ever since...first airsoft gun was a KWA M4 RIS... I have since expanded my arsenal and own several other guns now...I joined IMPACT and was a member for awhile but now run with MODSQUAD...

Due to my job as a head football coach, I can only attend several events per year... Usually those are Lion Claw events... Due to date conflict with football I can never attend Irene or blind fury... Kinda sucks but I make it work...

• Upvote 1

Wow. I am just about a month or so short of starting my 15th year of airsoft. I could write a large book but I will try and keep it short.

What got you into airsoft?

-Well quite a few things that all added up was how I got into airsoft. I had been shooting real guns since I could walk so I loved guns already. Myself and a couple of buddies ended up going to TrailDust and finding spring airsoft guns. This is the very short version.

What was your first gun?

-Y&P Baretta M9 (spring)

-First AEG: TM AK47S

Where does your loadout stand now?

-Well I have had quite a few weapons over the years. My first AEG was a TM AK47S. I have had TM M4s, TM P90s, ICS & TM MP5s, shotguns, sniper rifles, and a lot of other things im sure I am forgetting. But I have mostly stuck to using AKs since about day one.

Anything you want in the near future?

-Honestly yes, more AKs! :D

And any other bits of information you would like to share:

-[super condensed version] So buying springers led of course to us all shooting at each other. Keep in mind this was 1998, I was 10. I know a thing or two about not being taken seriously because of being "too young" so all you young airsoft players out there take a look. IF you stick around and dont act like a complete idiot all the time you could be in my shoes some day. This is also before The Matrix and all those kinds of moveis came out lol. Hell this was actually before the TM M4 came out HAHA. As we got older we became more organized and our team had grown in numbers. We were also constantly buying new airsoft guns as they were becoming avaliable. We were playing all summer long and when we could in the winter. We were even traveling to OH and KY to play large airsoft games. We were around for the start of Airsoft Ohio and played with and against the STRIKERS & 6mm alot. Then after being a member of dozens of random airsoft forums that no longer exist now we created our team website to try and see if we could get other people we didn't know to show up and play in our area so we didnt have to drive out of state all the time. Little do people now know but the IMPACT forums were used first for finding games and players here in Indiana. You can still go on our forums and read all the old posts and things on there lol. Then IMPACT had talks of creating a new site for all IN airsoft players (and not just our team). We talked to the guy who was attempting to start and run the original Airsoft Indiana but we had a lot of disagreements and did not like how he did things (more about money and rules with him). So knowing we could do it better we had talks with S_Z and others (who we had met previously at an IMPACT game they showed up too) and then the IAA was born. And the rest I guess most of your know as history, or at least some version of it. As far as I know there were very very few airsofters before me and they did not last very long. I am the only one left who stuck around to see it all and in some way hopefully to help it move forward. I have pretty much watched all of you come into the sport and mature as players and as people. I have seen so many players, teams, fields come and go over the last 15 years. I have seen airsoft in Indiana grow so very much and you have no idea how happy that makes me. I have also made the BEST friends ANYONE could ever hope to have in their life. I consider a lot of you guys family. The wonderful memories I have with you guys on and off the field is something I cherish greatly and will be forever thankful for.

Well here's to hoping I have another 15 years of airsoft left in me! Because the last 15 years have been the time of my life, thank you gentleman. Well damn, so much for keeping it short haha.

~Joker

• Upvote 2

Got into airsoft via real firearms. I was a avid shooter and looking for something that was semi close to real, and airsoft afforded the best bang for the buck. Supriesingly they work better then simunitions when it comes to accuracy even close up.

Cyma Krinkov (same as my real primary rifle except I have a fake supressor that is huge on mine)

Current loadout would be Blue Force Gear mag holders mixed with HGSI products. I have a Real Sword underfolder (nearly identical to my real one) and a older USP from KWA

Probably a Walther P99 I left in Kuwait, and a Classic Army AK, probably a M-16

I would like to hit a few more large games which should be fun, but we shall see. I did a few large games and Fulda Gap which I plan to go back to. Our team also ran a tank they were building while I was in the states (didn't get to run with it just protype test it), so if I get the space and time I would like to do a tank again.

Played in 2 countries, several states, and plan to start a team here in my region, also might try to con some people into setting up a field if needed.

I was invited by my 13 year-old nephew to play a backyard game in late 2008. I accepted, they gave me a shitty springer pistol while they all had AEG's and GBB's. I got my ass kicked and wanted revenge so I started researching online. Found the IAA, went to Place I'm not suppose to talk about... and bought an A&K M4 S System and it lasted me until I bought my Classic Army M4 which is tricked out. I run either woodland or tiger stripe for green and DCU for tan along with my HSGI chest rig and HSGI SGPB. Future plans are getting my CA M249 MKII back and putting a polar star in it. Oh and I want either multicam or all terrain tiger camo.

Oh and I too came from a real steel background. Have attended a couple Blind Furys, Irenes, and Redemption II.

What got you into airsoft?

Before I started playing I knew little to nothing about what airsoft even was. My friend's Noxtoof and Smoke showed me their guns one day and also showed me a few videos, and I've been hooked ever since.

What was your first gun?

Since i'm still a noob I've only got one gun, but It's my baby. I run a Cyma AK74 and I love it to death.

Where does your loadout stand now?

My loadout is pretty minimal as of right now. I'm pretty content with running a cheap loadout, I think thousand dollar "tacticool" loadouts are absolutely stupid.

I have an NC star AK chest rig, cheap and does what I need it to do.

5.11 8" tactical boots (pretty expensive, but well worth the investment)

I don't really own any camouflage so I usually wear blue jeans and a shirt.

My goggles are nothing fancy, think i bought 'em for 15 bucks off of Noxtoof. I lose my goggles pretty frequently so I just use whatever I can find.

Anything you want in the near future?

I would like a little more gear. I like what I have now but I could stand to have a little more, but not so much that I become a "gear whore" like Comrade Harvest. :smiley-taunt: (I'm messing with you harv)

I'd also like a more solid AEG; I think with my next gun I'll look into buying a gun from a company with better quality guns.

I'd like to go to a few larger games next season because I haven't been to any YET.

and any other bits of information you would like to share

I'd like to thank all of the veterans who have made me feel welcome here. I'd also like to thank Noxtoof and Smoke for getting me into airsoft. Without the community or my friends I doubt I'd still be playing. I'd like to thank Comrade S_Z for starting ORIA and taking me to games with him, not to mention the Guffie Shoot. Zero is one helluva guy and would give anyone the shirt off of his back, and I appreciate all he has done for me. Thank you to everyone who makes this sport what it is, AI is a good place to be.

Edited by wichita
  • Upvote 2

I think my start into airsoft was after watching a reality show called "Combat Missions" where there were recently discharged Delta, NSW, Force Recon, Pararescue, and even some LAPD SWAT members competing for a large cash prize and a rediculously large truck. Anyhow, they used MILES gear and simunitions.

I really wanted to do something like that to break up the ho-hum of my existence and to also get away from my then (and now ex) girlfriend. I found a website that said something along the lines of, "If you're looking for MILES gear, You'll love Airsoft!" My first thought was "WTF is Airsoft?" Then I saw it......a Tokyo Marui G36C on Redwolf Airsoft. I thought to myself that I had to have this gun and the need turned to desire then turned to obsession. I never buy that TM G36C, but I kept on trudging along trying to find something nearby.

I found Airsoft Ohio first, believe it or not, and then thinking that I didn't have a valid license nor a car and I wasn't going to travel all the way to Ohio just to shoot at people, I started looking closer to Indianapolis. That's when I found a gun for sale, on IAA. Unorthodox (now known as Bowman) was selling an M4A1 with a raised rail, full-length suppressor and an ACOG. I was overjoyed, but the price was too steep at the time. I joined the IAA and.......you know what? I'm getting long winded and my wrists are beginning to hurt.

I bought an ICS PCR-97 from Brad aka Aviator, met up with a few guys including BiggDaddyWood and friends and had my first game in Mulberry back in October of 2005, I later bought SZ's TM Mk23 in the summer of 2006. I still use them both to this day and they haven't let me down yet. The obsession continues.....

Well i played paintball and was on the rifle team in rotc and i have allways been into guns, I had got a spring pistol as a gift , then i started looking online and found this forum and here i am,

DE m4 . had five 50rd mags. I had to learn to save ammo.

real steel tactical vest , holds 8 m4 mags , spare pistol, 4 pistol mags. 2 small speed loaders

drop leg hoslter . i have woodland bdu, and regular boots. i normal wear a baseball cap. and i have stamped steel and full seal goggles

new pistol. i think a 1911 or something on the lines of a glock

I got my airsoft start back in 2007 while I was living in Cali, I had played paintball for a number of years and loved it but when I got out to Cali airsoft was all the buzz. I was in the USMC at the time and a one of the members of my fireteam was talking about airsoft and I told him I had wanted to try it. So that weekend we went to an event, I borrowed some of his gear and we played. I was hooked after 5 minutes. After that I purchased an AGM stubby M4 and started building my kit. I loved playing CQB and still do more than anything so coming to Indiana and starting to play field games was a huge shock to my system. I did not play much in Indiana before returning to Cali to help train my fellow Marines on the new TOW system that they are now using today. Now am back and ready for more, looking to go to my first Lions Claws event this year. I am also really looking forward to working with BigAltes on his new team I.A.M.

Current load out

Franken Echo 1 Stag 15 (ongoing project that will be getting a huge overhaul in the near future)

Flyye RRV w/ Flyye MAP (CB)

KWA NS2 USPc

Full com

• Upvote 1

What got me into Airsoft was my fascination for guns, and the military (which i'm in the progress of joining) I started backyard playing when i was 12. Me, my brother and cousins would play with toy and nerf guns, but we wanted something more, so me and my dad picked up our first airsoft guns and introduced them to the family. ever since then our collection has grown, I joined the IAA in early 2010 and my first team, After the IAA split i joined the AI.

My first gun was a Cybergun spring pistol, My first competitive gun was a JG G36k which i still have and have had for roughly 3 years.

My Loudout is not based on anything, i mostly wear civi or tan with a chest rig. i run an ak or g36

i plan on getting an ICS Mp5, new gearbox for this piece of S**T JG g36 and some g36 mid caps.

This is a very interesting topic, I don't believe I've ever told this story before.

OK so I bought a KWC springer pistol from Dick's Sporting goods in 2007 and began playing backyard pistol skirmishes with my little brother who also bought one. We were both using sweatshirts and paintball masks to protect our faced and eyes. I had a friend named Daniel who later bought an airsoft shotgun and he came over one day to have some skirmishes. We were bored of the backyard setup so we went into some woods. While in the woods we met two other guys around our age playing airsoft as well. One of them, named George was using a KWA G18c, and that really caught my eye. I searched airsoft on youtube and began watching various airsoft matches from Europe, reviews of AEGs, etc.

After that more friends in George's group got together and bought airsoft guns. Eventually we were having small skirmishes on a plot of private lands with a mix between AEGs, GBBs and some springers. My first gun was a KJW M700p gas sniper rifle. I really loved that thing even though it was very ineffective. I eventually sold that to buy a KWA M4 where I began attending events.

My first event was Trigger's winter op and that game really sparked my interest. I then worked on buying up a lodout and camo.

The basics behind each of these stories seems to be just bringing someone new to a game. And after that they'll take off on their own. If you're going to a game, invite someone along! Then our community will grow with people who probably did not even know about this side of the airsoft hobby.

• Upvote 1

One of them, named George was using a KWA G18c, and that really caught my eye.

Funny you mention that. It seems a lot of people's interest piqued for airsoft when they saw this specific pistol.

• 2 weeks later...

In my 15 years that I have been in AirSoft. I have gone through a lot of different guns. I first started out with the Ultra Grade Spring Rifles. Back then they were the norm and were a bit expensive, Then I turned to AEGs but it seems that now Gas.....such as the NS2 System from KWA and Green Gas will be the norm.