Home Brewed Project: Led Tracer Magazine

-Rogue-

So what do you get when you cross an LED with a HI-Cap Magazine? Pure. Tracer. Awesomeness.

Tested it today and it works great. The only drawback is that the first BB may not be bright enough. The rest seem to be just fine. (Who only fires only one shot anyways?). No mis-feeding, etc.

For this project I used a KWA Hi-Cap and the Madbull Tracer Unit.

th_IMG_20121014_204248.jpg

th_IMG_20121014_204315.jpg

th_IMG_20121014_204323.jpg

th_IMG_20121014_204330.jpg

Hi-Cap

http://store.kwausa....m4a1hi-cap.aspx

-I used these because the channel on the Hi-Cap molding is really easy to modify and it fit the LED module.

MadBull

http://www.madbull.c...products_id=254

-Designed to take between 7.4 to 12V, so it is designed to pull of your existing battery.

The LED draws only about 1 watt, so I have a small 7.4 200 MaH LiPo to power it. Should last somewhere between a long time and forever.

I would happy to made the needed modifications to anyone who wants it. Total cost of materials was about $80 including the battery.

Been looking to do this to my 60 as well but I'm planning to use UV LED's instead. I heave heard a lot of people raving about how well UV ones work in comparision to straight LED.

Out of curiosity what did you do the mag and not the hop-up?

I have a M249 box mag wired up with 4 UV leds 3 in the mag and one at the top of the mag insert

dsc05890s.jpg

dsc05892l.jpg

the one led at the top dose a OK job but after you shoot 20 shots they are all glowing real good from the 3 lower ones it runs off of a 9v household battery and is switched

all of my AKs have clear hopup chambers and I have been meaning to cut a few LEDs down and glue them to the hopup and direct wire it into the trigger with a small switch so they can be turned on and off when using the gun

all of my AKs have clear hopup chambers and I have been meaning to cut a few LEDs down and glue them to the hopup and direct wire it into the trigger with a small switch so they can be turned on and off when using the gun

This is what I am planning to do to the Inok and M4. Did you use UV LED's or normal clear ones?

This is what I am planning to do to the Inok and M4. Did you use UV LED's or normal clear ones?

I used UV

I also ordered on ebay a dozen UV leds with the resistors on them for future tracer projects

Been looking to do this to my 60 as well but I'm planning to use UV LED's instead. I heave heard a lot of people raving about how well UV ones work in comparision to straight LED.

Out of curiosity what did you do the mag and not the hop-up?

Putting my physics hat on, I do not see how there is a real difference between UV and regular light. Assuming the same lumens between a standard versus UV LED, the BB is going to absorb the same mount of light. ...Sounds like an R-Hop "effect" to me. People think its better just because it is special. ^_^ At least UV is a cool color.

To your second question, my goal was to make just one magazine for multiple guns. Secondly, my ACRs/Masadas have proprietary metal hop-up chambers.

I may modify one for the chamber in the future, but the magazine seems to do it well enough.

I was studying this over last winter, what I heard was that the UV led lights do not work as good, say again do not work as well. I want to put some some lights in the bb ramp. and put the wires and battery in my foregrip. might have to work on that project this winter.

For those who have standard Marui compatible M4s, the mad bull hop up is designed to work with the LED unit I installed. See my earlier link for a picture.

UV light and GITD stuff

Read the part on there about how white light contains IR which actually DISCHARGES not charges the gitd material. Tell me again how white light is better?

Either way, I'm still going to experiment with UV LED's when I can get some machining done on the Inok. The M4 will probably get the mod sooner as it will be easier to modify its hop-up.

Here is a video of a guy who used a BRD (Blue Ray Diode ~ 400nm).

• Upvote 1

UV light and GITD stuff

Read the part on there about how white light contains IR which actually DISCHARGES not charges the gitd material. Tell me again how white light is better?

Either way, I'm still going to experiment with UV LED's when I can get some machining done on the Inok. The M4 will probably get the mod sooner as it will be easier to modify its hop-up.

Here is a video of a guy who used a BRD (Blue Ray Diode ~ 400nm).

Interesting, as I did not realize how the different colors affected glow in the dark materials. That would explain why the LEDs on the MadBull kit were blue...

I would be interested to see your results and compare them to the MadBul kit I put in this magazine. I hope to be using this mag at the School game in two weeks, so we will see in person then!

I would be interested to see your results and compare them to the MadBul kit I put in this magazine.

Likewise, I am hoping to start my mod on the AR soon I'll probably try the BRD first then try a lower wavelength LED and see what turns out better. Another question I am wondering now is do different manufacturers use different minerals for the GITD material? If so I wonder how much that would affect visible performance between setups.