First Aid Kit!

dragon

I hadn't noticed a thread particularly like this here so I figured I would start it as I've been building mine here recently. Harvest is definitely an expert in this area so I would leave any questions that may be asked for his opinion because I've gathered some information from him when making my own.

An IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) is something that I have neglected to have in the past on the airsoft field but I'm changing that currently. You never know what could go wrong in the field and I've already been at games with injuries ranging from bleeding bb wounds to broken legs. Hopefully none of us are ever in the place where we would need a personal trauma kit in an airsoft game but you never know. Now my choices for a FAK might differ a bit from most because mine will be traversing not only airsoft but real steel shooting as well.

The contents of mine include:

Pouch - Accessible in a place you can get to quickly and easily with either hand.

Shears - Prestige 7.5" Shears

Ace Self Adhesive Bandage (Chose this because it doesn't need the clips and can be used for many things)

Isreali Bandage 4"

Steri Strips

Quikclot Combat Gauze 4yd roll

Quikclot Sport 25g Sponge

Mylar Emergency Blanket

Tourniquet

2x2 Gauze Pads

That's all I can think of right off of the top of my head, but I also will be adding Oral I.V. pretty soon. I'll be building another kit more like a trauma kit here soon as well and can update with that one's contents when I'm done.

in my daily travels I have a USMC Ifak with extras 3 quickclot bandages 3 israeli bandages iodine alcohol patches stri strips 2 kinds of super glue 2 tourniquets leg and arm.

a few different gauze packs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-USMC-IFAK-MINOR-FIRST-AID-TRAUMA-KIT-NEW-/250862781623?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D250905367487%26ps%3D54

I also have a 50 person job site first aid kit that I have added more band aids burn gel and other stuffI use more often I use knuckle band aids for every thing finger hand and foot related

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5125853901P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM5125853901

I also carry 2 rolls of mecnett camo wrap for covering bandages if it is a real bad cut that the super glue cannot hold shut or for splinting fingers or any thing else like a sprained wrist or ankle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-rolls-McNETT-CAMO-FORM-WRAP-DIGITAL-ACU-GREAT-STUFF-/250959851119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e5f6e6f

on top of all that I have one more first aid kit that is smaller then the 50 person one that I use that is set up more for hand injures.

when buying band aids don't go cheap on them I have bought some pretty cheap ones in the past and they are more of a burden then spending the extra 3$ or 4$ for the name brand ones.

USMC IFAKs are cheap and easy to find. Plus, they come in Coyote and are the standard size for any aftermarket pouch.

Really wish more people would carry these at games. I remember the day on the old forums when I was suggesting some people get CPR/First Aid certified and got my head bit off getting told 'ITS NOT OUR PROBLEM, THATS WHAT YOUR THERE FOR.'

Yeah well, when one of your buddies starts puking and turns blue, falls face first in his own chunder and starts having a seizure, then proceeds to become pulseless apneic, get back to me on how that's not your problem, broyo.

-EDIT-

Before anyone says no one has ever died playing airsoft;

http://media.airsoftextreme.com/In-Memoriam/Steve-Holtgrefe/13093215_4p39W4#949035852_w58Sj

I need to put a small bottle of alcohol in mine as well. But yes Harvest, let those people do whatever BS they want, but being prepared never hurt anyone.

On the note there of, a little alcohol, betadine, and peroxide will cure -most- of what ails ye.

IMG_0001-2.jpg

I keep the orange one in my vehicle and I carry the tan one with me when backpacking, airsofting, climbing, etc.

IMG_0004-4.jpg

Undoubtedly the most important items are those certifications. With the proper training, you can MacGyver up some bandages and prevent/treat injuries.

ETA: Group photo

IMG_0008-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of notable additions:

IMG_0001-3.jpg

Biofreeze and Oral I.V.

I've used Biofreeze for years and it works well as a pain reliever. Oral I.V. is relatively new and I haven't tested it yet, but most any rehydration solution is nice to have when out in the field. The Steri-strips Dragon mentioned seem promising and I may have to add those to my kit as well.

Oral I.V. is my next addition, if you ever use it let me know what you think, and vice versa! I need to get some pics up of my kit actually.

I finally took some pics, so here they are!! Let me know what you think. I will be adding a few more items in the future but this is as basic as I want to keep it. This is my real steel rig which I also use in airsoft so it's simple, lightweight and straight to the point.

gallery_7_70_521864.jpg

gallery_7_70_209103.jpg

gallery_7_70_1032991.jpg

I like it; though it is geared specifically to controlling bleeding. I also have a pair of those Prestige shears.

When it's complete it will have a SAM Splint, a decompression dart, and a nasopharyngeal airway as well as Oral I.V. as I previously stated. I'm open to suggestions, I just wanted to keep this geared toward basic trauma.

All that stuff is really good, just let me have a chance to show you how to use some of it sometime.

You are supposed to run with the scissors right? :frantics:

Something else that may or may not be useful in a first aid kit is para cord. I know most of you have it on you in some form even if its not in your IFAK. It could substitute as a tourniquet or could be used to construct a splint and endless other needs and uses.

~Joker

• 6 months later...

Oh my.... You guys need to ditch the quick clot.... Unless its the new no heat. Seriously, I'm not saying this to start an argument, but have any if you had any recent training on the use of the stuff. Decompress needles? What kind of airsoft are you guys playing that's going to cause chest wounds? Seriously, keep it basic, like band aids gauze, Maybe, and I mean maybe a pressure dressing. I just wouldn't want someone thinking they know about something cause they read it somewhere, or just trying something out of curiosity.

If you've ever played airsoft at some of the fields we have, this stuff can be completely necessary when there are things that can impale you as well as potential for broken limbs that could cause arterial damage. My IFAK's are built for real steel and other emergencies, but I'm not going to build one differently for airsoft because it goes on the same kit.

Oh my.... You guys need to ditch the quick clot.... Unless its the new no heat. Seriously, I'm not saying this to start an argument, but have any if you had any recent training on the use of the stuff. Decompress needles? What kind of airsoft are you guys playing that's going to cause chest wounds? Seriously, keep it basic, like band aids gauze, Maybe, and I mean maybe a pressure dressing. I just wouldn't want someone thinking they know about something cause they read it somewhere, or just trying something out of curiosity.

cud u teech me sum first aids

Dragon, you might look at picking up some H&H Gauze, it's small a nice to have. I've been thinking about taking a TCCC here locally so I can see Celox-A used for rizzle.

BTW if you find a good buy on HemCons, get that shit.

Actually I'm in the process of planning another/different kit and H&H's were on the list. A guy I train with down in Kentucky is TCCC and all kinds of other stuff, hoping to get some classroom time in with him again this year.

god wheres the p8ntballgangsta when we need him :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Here is my first aid kit that goes to work with me and on roadtrips with me: http://imgur.com/lxDJW

The kit contains 5 different sizes of bandages (adhesive), a roll of tape, a triangular bandage (cotton), four different sized dressing pads, two different sizes of gauze, Eye pads, cotton balls, tripple antibiotic ointment, tweezers, gloves, and scissors.

It is a two person kit. Also, is it possible to find a pack to put it in so that I could run my belt from my vest through it to hold it against my body so that I can have it on me? The pack in that picture is the one i keep in the truck and it has no way to secure it to yourself.

Yes, I have very basic training in how to use everything in that kit. Learned in my JROTC class when i was in high school, and I am also CPR certified. :D

its a first aid kit from true swords which is a truly cheapish site even though i've heard this kit is on e of the better.

its called the first aid-deluxe field kit w/case.

its a first aid kit from true swords which is a truly cheapish site even though i've heard this kit is on e of the better.

its called the first aid-deluxe field kit w/case.

Your statement makes no sense. What you are saying?