Got Accused Of Not Calling Hits At First Game.

Kevin13

This weekend was my first time attending an airsoft event.  It was as much fun as i'd imagined, and then some. I shot some guys. Got shot 10 times more than i was shooting them. Tip of the finger shot was the worst one by far. After about 4 hours i was finally getting the hang of the course, and where to watch for guys coming from. I was finally holding an area. Then it happened someone yelled that I was not calling my hits, and that he'd hit me 6 times before i'd hit him. I called my hits all day and even a few that i think bounced off of a wall. I did not and do not cheat.

My question is how do you veterans of the sport handle this situation. I explained to this guy that i called my hits all day. He didn't seem to believe me because I'm sure they all say that. It really got to me and i ended my day shortly after this. 

Edited by Kevin13

This weekend was my first time attending an airsoft event.  It was as much fun as i'd imagined, and then some. I shot some guys. Got shot 10 times more than i was shooting them. Tip of the finger shot was the worst one by far. After about 4 hours i was finally getting the hang of the course, and where to watch for guys coming from. I was finally holding an area. Then it happened someone yelled that I was not calling my hits, and that he'd hit me 6 times before i'd hit him. I called my hits all day and even a few that i think bounced off of a wall. I did not and do not cheat.

My question is how do you veterans of the sport handle this situation. I explained to this guy that i called my hits all day. He didn't seem to believe me because I'm sure they all say that. It really got to me and i ended my day shortly after this. 

Get the ref. Other people shouldn't be calling your hits for you. (Although if a teammate calls one that bounces off me and I don't notice, that's cool.)

That's the proper thing to do. Was it the indoor field? They tend to get locals that can be a bit jumpy like that. Sometimes I'll just take a hit as honor if I'm not sure but somebody else is pretty sure they hit me. It's especially bad on outdoor fields because sometimes you aren't aware that your shots are falling short by a few feet.

Last thing I want to do is pull aggro from a thick skinned broseph who thinks he's got 20/20 vision and a temperament problem.

I'd rather not get us both kicked out of the field if the other person can't come to reason.

Also, recording helps. I almost always have a Roam2 running.

(Just my thoughts)

Edited by Sturm

It was an indoor field,so I'm sure that narrows down the possibilities. I didn't want to say where because they showed me a great time and were overly helpful to a first timer. The guy in question complained so loudly that the ref gave a speech along the lines of if you're hit call it, if you think you're hit call it at the end of the round. I was not hit. we were shooting at each other from about 15 to 20 feet out. I know i would have felt at least one of the 6 he said he hit me with. I did call myself hit as I felt it was right thing to do at the time. 

On the recording end of it I'm new....... no ready for that investment yet. 

It was an indoor field,so I'm sure that narrows down the possibilities. I didn't want to say where because they showed me a great time and were overly helpful to a first timer. The guy in question complained so loudly that the ref gave a speech along the lines of if you're hit call it, if you think you're hit call it at the end of the round. I was not hit. we were shooting at each other from about 15 to 20 feet out. I know i would have felt at least one of the 6 he said he hit me with. I did call myself hit as I felt it was right thing to do at the time. 

On the recording end of it I'm new....... no ready for that investment yet. 

Glad you had fun! I think you handled it fine. It's hard to bounce back from that because calling somebodies hit for them is a blatant break of trust and can create an infectiously sour mood.

I feel your pain for being accused though. Refs only have so many eyes (Or cameras, at least the old field there had some) and sometimes they make mistakes.

I remember when I first started, I was at a field that required lower face protection. It was 80 degrees out and extremely humid. Midway through the day a group of us sat down next to a barrier, away from the fight and drank some water bottles - Which means my mouth was exposed.

Ref came up and told me to take a walk for the duration of the game since my mouth protection was off; that I had "Played long enough to know better", not knowing that all of my gear was fresh out of the box and I had maybe five hours playtime in my Airsoft career across multiple fields. I didn't say anything, and he got me back in 30 minutes later, but it still bugs me to this day.

Edited by Sturm

Sorry to hear that you had to deal with that at your first game. I've played at Spec Ops' indoor field multiple times and rarely see that behavior. Generally speaking, I will accept the hit if I think it's possible that I didn't feel it; however, if you are standing relatively still and extremely confident that it didn't hit you, I would keep playing and don't say anything back. We all have a habit of thinking we are the dead shots when in reality we rarely track the full flight of a bb, even at the indoor.

As has already been said, it's bad manners (at best) to call someone on the other team as being hit. For future reference, if you ever feel that someone isn't calling their hits, grab a ref.

Screaming at someone that "you know you are hitting them" is the most unsportsmanlike like thing in airsoft. Although it is hard not to, don't take it personal. You did the right thing in de-escalating the situation, but don't let someone bully you into it. The bad thing about the situation is that there really isn’t much that you personally can do as the one being yelled at, it is up to the others around you to step in. The best bet is to always call an EO over in that situation, but the outcome will likely always be that you are determined to be out as the EO typically has no knowledge of the situation at hand and has to make a fair judgment call in which both parties are now out. Sometimes you truly don't feel it when you get hit, but even then it is NEVER ok for the one shooting at you to call you out.

It is a sad aspect of the sport, and one that I have zero tolerance toward. No matter who you are or what team you are on, if you see someone screaming at another to call their hits, it is your responsibility to tell the one screaming to either shut up and knock that shit off of get the hell off the field. That behavior never belongs on the field. If someone complains that another is not calling their hits, which does happen, then the response is simply to just keep shooting them. If you are near someone and watch them get hit and they not call it (either cheating or just unaware) then it is your duty to inform them politely that they just got hit and are out. I stress "politely," especially if you are on an opposing team. All it takes is "hey man, not sure if you felt it but you just got hit in the plate carrier." 99% of the time they comply. For the remaining 1%, call an EO over.

No matter the situation, it is never acceptable to scream at someone that you are shooting at to call their hits. Even if they are blatantly cheating, don't ever yell it if you are the one shooting at them. When I see people do it in my games, they are immediately removed from the field and flat out banned with extreme prejudice. I don't care about the situation, who started it, etc, I hold zero tolerance for that behavior and will not ever allow it.

Don’t let the fuckups of the community ruin the first experience for you, because I can promise you that because of the above reasons, it is not very common to have someone do to you what happened today. Take it with a grain of salt, and keep it in mind when you see another player shouting the same things at someone, and step in, especially if it is someone on your team berating someone of the other team. It is how we keep the game fun for everyone. Lead by example here and others pick up on it pretty quickly.

Edited by Hanback
  • Upvote 1

If the other guy is being reasonable: "hey man I hit your pack/belt/carrier but I'm sure you didn't feel it" then I'll take it almost without question. If they're being an idiot then I usually act oblivious and keep playing until I actually get hit.

People suck...in general. Egos are always way bigger than they should be because everyone thinks they are a seal team super secret squirrel operator. Don’t take any of this to serious. If you’re honorable, then be honorable. If someone gets in your face, then they are showing their ego is huge and their confidence is small. I know right now some people are trying to figure that statement out...and I’m laughing.

• Upvote 1

A general rule of airsoft is that its a game of honor.  You should never call another players hits unless its in a constructive way.  Pull them aside after the game and say.. Hey I seen my bb hit your backpack last round.. You probably didnt feel it.   Your a new player.  Knowing when your hit is a part of learning the game and that takes time.. especially when you are new.  The adrenaline is pumping bb's hitting everywhere.. especially at a indoor.  So dont worry about it.. it will come in time.  the general rule of thumb is..  when in doubt call it out.  your just a few minutes of respawn away from more action. 

Thanks for all the feed back. I intend to keep playing as often as possible. 

I do have another quick question that I don't feel is new thread worthy. I hope i'm not breaking any rules here. I was hoping to attend the Mccordsville event as its just a few miles from me. I read that you must use .20 at chrono. I know what the chrono is but does that imply that I can only use .20 bbs for the game. I only have .25. I will buy .20 if necessary. Thanks again.

I do have another quick question that I don't feel is new thread worthy. I hope i'm not breaking any rules here. I was hoping to attend the Mccordsville event as its just a few miles from me. I read that you must use .20 at chrono. I know what the chrono is but does that imply that I can only use .20 bbs for the game. I only have .25. I will buy .20 if necessary. Thanks again.

They require chronoing (Or at least want to know the weight you have in the magazine) with a .20, after that you can use whatever. If the power changes (IE an NPAS in a gas system or a spring swap) you'll have to put .20s in a mag and chrono again.

It's because .20s are the lightest weight most fields allow and can be used to gauge what it will be like with heavier bbs, but not inversely without altering the numbers we are used to seeing for field limits.

Chronoing with a baseline of .36s would be bad because a gun shooting 390 at that weight will be well into the 400s.

Edited by Sturm

Chronoing with .20s is the old standard most guns are based on.   Back in the early airsoft days it was all that was offered.    Most field go by Joules these days with heaver bbs.  This link explains it better than I can.  Also a hand chart to have.   http://www.airsoftmaster.com/fps-chart-for-airsoft-guns/

Damn I hope I don't have to deal with that. I've only ever played one day (at Spec Ops) and like Rex said, the crowd didn't seem the type to be like that, luckily. I was more than happy to call hits on ones that could have very well been ricochets though.

Damn I hope I don't have to deal with that. I've only ever played one day (at Spec Ops) and like Rex said, the crowd didn't seem the type to be like that, luckily. I was more than happy to call hits on ones that could have very well been ricochets though.

Sadly this happens everywhere.   It's from alot of players coming to airsoft from paintball.   Games having 4 or 5 reffs on the field and such.   Airsoft always has been and always will be a game of honor..  You must have it and you must also trust your opponent to have it.   Thats what separates us.  

• Upvote 1

What's hysterical is most of the "super duper, I got every attachment known to man on their gun" have no clue as to how "inaccurate" their toys are. 

Generally if I get that tool that said he has hit me....if he's polite about it I take it no matter what.....if he's a douche about it I'll step from cover and tell them to shoot me again. Guess what, their bb's are falling far short! Then I shoot them with mine! Point proven! 

As others have said, don't take it personal. But try to be always aware of fire coming in.......when in doubt call it out!! I've been in a few situations were there was such a barrage of fire that even though I felt no hits I figured I had to have gotten hit. Plus, I really didn't want to get shredded because it was coming. LOL 

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa whoa you mean we are supposed to call our hits!? I guess I have been doing it wrong all these years.

Was thinking the same thing!! That makes SO much more sense! :lol:

Was thinking the same thing!! That makes SO much more sense!

You think that's bad see what happens when you use a high cap at blind Fury..     

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about a month late to this party, but I want to chime in.

If the guy was so adamant about making you call your hit, why didn't he keep shooting?

If I want you to call your hits, I'm going to keep shooting you until you do, not get all bothered and pissy about it.

If the first 3-4 hits don't make you call it, you're getting a shot every second from me until you do.

• 3 weeks later...

You think that's bad see what happens when you use a high cap at blind Fury..     

Especially after the watch the guy run through EVERY mid/low cap mag he owns and has to resort to the one hi-cap magazine he has that will feed.... Totally forgot about that instance!