BabyHuey

BabyHuey

Sheeple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Hey everyone,

I had an interesting thought today about airsoft/paintball fields and I'd like to know your thoughts. Gun clubs, generally speaking, are member-only facilities where members pay an annual fee for unlimited access to use the facility. Consider this one near Brookston, IN:

http://www.wvrpc.org/

General characteristics of this particular club linked above:

- Club is Not-for-Profit
- Annual fee $100 + one-time fee of $100

- Members required to do 12 hours of work for the club each year, or be billed $10/hr for unworked hours

- Applicants must be sponsered by existing members and voted in by other members

- New members must attend safety brief/orientation

- Monthly membership meetings (optional?)

- Club is governed by a code of by-laws and set of operating rules, as determined by members by vote

- Members appoint other members to the executive board by vote

- Members have unlimited access to facilities and are co-responsible for its upkeep

- No member gets paid for their service

Could this type of model be applied to an airsoft/paintball/milsim club? Interestingly enough, most volunteer fire departments have a similar model. Interested in all your comments.

Edited by BabyHuey, 11 January 2018 - 03:02 PM.

Joker

Joker

clown

• Global Moderator
  • 1,802 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IN
Been there, done that, and lost years on my life because of it. Seriously years.

The short answer is in a perfect situation it's technically plausible. Some hobbies and clubs obviously manage to do it. Otherwise no. For so very many reasons no.

When you try to implement things like money via annual fees and governing bodies things get significantly more complicated. You have to operate like a business. It doesn't tend to work out in airsoft. And for some reason people start going a little crazy. People start talking themselves way to seriously. Others crave positions of "power" that some might have and the general respect they have earned over time. They start getting vindictive and causing problems with other members in order to "move up" the ladder. Soon everyone is fighting with everyone, terrible things are said, grudges are formed, and a once united airsoft loving community is war torn amongst itself.

You also would have to try to get public and private field owners to be on the same page and abide by your rules. That's nearly impossible. Hell trying to get any large group let alone something like Airsoft to agree on something or how something should be done is no easy task.

I'm speaking from experience when I say we have tried it, more than once even. And it literally ripped our community into two. So much so that it happened almost a decade ago and some of those players still don't talk to one another and outright refuse to play together today.

How we currently do things might be a little on the anarchy side of things and even a little unorganized but it works. For the most part airsoft event rules are fairly universal with a few exceptions. And all we ask is that when an event is posted here you also post the rules you plan to enforce with the event. That way a player can choose whether or not they like said rules and want to attend said event for themselves. The only fees we have are a one time thing to become an authorized seller and money from that goes towards website costs. We don't charge to be members here. Any and all types of events can be posted here no matter how big or small as long as they also include all details and rules for said event. We do have forum rules that a moderator staff enforces, but those are mostly "common" sense things. And other than that, those members who are more experienced with airsoft, field owners, event hosts, team leaders, etc. and who may be more respected help try and lead the community by example.

In short the inmates run the asylum but we police our own.

~Joker

BabyHuey

BabyHuey

Sheeple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

I didn't realize there was so much history around this idea. I wasn't suggesting that this community moves in that direction, but only that I noticed a lack of this model around airsoft and prevalence of it around real steel (NRA range program, etc) .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users