4/23/17 Great Salad Tossing Adventure

Sky Marshal Harvest

Wanted to do a quick AAR.

Game was what I expected, and was fun.  Fun, and actually engaging objectives.  If you haven't done a Guffie game, you're missing out.  I'm not saying that because they're my dudes, it's just a really good laid back time that doesn't take BB war seriously.

I should have been a better dad and actually done a FORCERORG and comms plan, but I didn't think far enough ahead and such.

Anyways, hail Rodan and shit.

Overall i had a blast.

Pros:

Shenanigans

Sneaky grass raptor....stamos ;)

Guns working beautifully, even though i didn't get to field my e&l.

Never a point where i wasn't sure what needed to happen next, objectives were pretty clear.

Seeing everybody again and meeting some new people

Dogs. Dogs are always a good time.

Cons:

Only 1 real con, and that is that some people need to take their pissing contests off the field when there's a disagreement about who shot who.

10/10 game at a 12/10 field though. Always a great time at MCC,and always worth the drive.

First Guffie game I've been to, hopefully won't be my last. 

Pros: 

very few hit calling issues overall

great turn out

weather was perfect, no one died of heat stroke

goofy scenarios that made for some good game play and good fights

cons:

I feel like there weren't enough lays in play to make the medics' job worthwhile, at least during the first game.

objectives seemed to be mostly centered around the town. this led to a lot of fighting in and around the town, with little activity towards the outskirts of the field. Not sure if this was intentional or not.

there were a few moments where tempers flared, mostly because of overshooting. I also saw a lot of people without red rags, including myself. Remember, if you don't want to get lit up, make sure your red rag is clearly visible.

That was my first Guffie game, worth the drive

Pros:

Good turnout 

No hit calling issues I saw or heard of

Hawaiian Punch chugging

Got complimented on my M90 

Cons:

Tad overshooting

Found out I need a different brand mag for my gun, current ones don't feed well

Didn't see a lot of people getting revived, possibly because of the leis or not caring

I need a red rag

Overall, half of my cons are on me, being the mags and red rag issue, which both will be solved sooner or later. Can't complain about much really, just wish I lived a bit closer

My pros are the same as pretty much everyone else, overall was a great game. But that's not why I'm posting this. So let's get right into it

Cons:

People who care more about winning than having fun, most of the time to the determent of the other team and the game as a whole. This is becoming a reoccurring theme in southern Indiana games. It happened at Noob Day and it happened at Rimjob. Instead of writing wall of text here, I wrote up an example of what happened in one case here.

Cons:

People who care more about winning than having fun, most of the time to the determent of the other team and the game as a whole. This is becoming a reoccurring theme in southern Indiana games. It happened at Noob Day and it happened at Rimjob. Instead of writing wall of text here, I wrote up an example of what happened in one case here.

Fully agree with that. Personally I find I'm pretty good with balancing competitive / casual play, but I have seen people that have zero chill and follow the Tryhard Side of the Force. This is especially relevant when you have the occasional squad of dudes in matching kit that insist on calling them "____ Squad" and bark orders at random players.

Edited by Snuffles

My pros are the same as pretty much everyone else, overall was a great game. But that's not why I'm posting this. So let's get right into it

Cons:

For the simple fact that people are allowed to act this way at games with no repercussion, is fucking mind boggling!!

I would have an Altes length ban put on me if someone yelled in my face like that!

First of let me thank Holland and the Guffies for a well executed event. I actually felt like I was on a tropical island. 

Pros: The event was objective oriented; kept game fun. Very few hit calling issues. It was nice getting to see everybody again. 

Cons: I did hear some shit talking. I did address serious shit talking when I heard it. "Tryhards", I don't even like the word. Judging somebody by their gear is pretty much judging somebody by their skin color. Airsoft is a contact sport. Shits gonna happen. How you deal with it will determine how it is resolved. Broken, at Noob Day it was me and two other of my guys that you come up from behind holding your gun in the air; then when I looked away you opened up full auto on all three of us in the back for what some other people had done to you. No bitching from us! we just walked back to respawn. As leaving Noob Day you pulled out of there spinning your tires.

Airsoft is up to the individual players. If they decide to run around in what you call squad, it is their decisions not yours. My wife plays serious airsoft and runs in a squad. Is she a tryhard?

I look at the airsoft community as friends. I enjoy playing airsoft with you. But until the tit for tat shit is done airsoft is never gonna grow in the state of Indiana. Hope to see everyone out again. You too Broken.

• Upvote 2

I had a great time, was good to see lots of people i havent seen in a while, or at least not regularly (LOOKING AT YOU DRAGON).

Pros

Laid back, casual goof off day under the guise of "milsim"
Running an LMG for once
Watching some kid chug a large amount of Hawaiian punch (kudos kid, hope you werent puking all the way home, you da real MVP)

Cons

Tempers 
my damn motor tab repeatedly falling off causing my gun to be in-op. 

Overall was a chill day, some minor bumps, including some guy who was pissed off at me the rest of the day (sorry i ruined your day, guy, not my fault i could only see your blue shirt through the trees about 200 feet away, and couldn't hear you say hit, nor see your red rag behind the tree your head was behind). 

Big thanks to Guffie for putting this shitstorm on, and Foxfire for allowing us to use your fantastic field!

Edited by starblade54

Thank you everyone for coming and thanks again to Foxfire and MCC for letting us host this event. We are totally psyched that so many people got into the scenario and had a good time with it. Comrade Ben and I am are both from Kentucky born and raised, we're both admins of the biggest Airsoft Kentucky group on FB, we both love our home state, but from this game's very inception we both knew it HAD to be hosted in Indiana. The community up here is AWESOME and there's no way we could have gotten same level of support back home.

I think things went fairly well overall. There were definitely some logistical failures on gameday as we scrambled to fit the games we had planned to the specifics of the field and playerbase. One big issue we had was with the medic system. We had about 40 people formally register, and I was optimistic that we would get around 15-20 more walk-ins on gameday. We ended up with almost 95 players. The medic-to-player ratio was way too small, as was the pool of people that could be revived since there too few leis on field. This resulted in a lot of people having to take frequent hikes back to respawn, which I know can be frustrating and physically draining. We identified a few other things that could have been tweaked to avoid any needless exhaustion, and I hope to have much less attrition due to this at any future games we might host.

Sadly, we ended up only being able to run a little more than half of the games we had planned. 

In regards to the unsportsmanlike behavior... we did unfortunately have a few instances. Us refs tried to stay in the biggest hot spots and keep a close eye on everything but obviously we can't be everywhere. I had a couple of people come to me with concerns about hit-calling and I shadowed the individuals accused of this. Never saw anything suspicious. We also had a couple of shouting matches concerning overshooting. At a field that's already semi-auto only for riflemen I don't know of much else that could be done to alleviate issues like this, but I'm open to suggestions.

Overwhelmingly though the players were excellent. I think this is the fewest number of sportsmanship issues we've ever had at one of our events, and I think the number of problems was very low for an event of this type and size. We had hoped that running a scenario that was this intensely moronic would take the competitive edge off of gameplay, cool tempers and deter the type of people most likely to cause problems from even attending to begin with. On this front I believe we were largely successful.

A secondary goal for us was community promotion in-line with what has been discussed at the community meetings. We posted the event and several updates to the forum first, adding them to FB a day or two later. We gave MCC top billing and posted the event to pages where I don't think MCC games are normally advertised to try and help them build brand recognition. We continued to link back to the forums on many FB posts and the forum was the ONLY place to read the scenario story, so if anyone was wondering what the hell diabetes and Japanese movie monsters had to do with airsoft, they had to come here. Also had a shoutout to Harvest's Youtube on one of our promos. Hope it helps y'all.

We appreciate feedback of any kind, but one thing we are especially wondering about is if people would like us to continue hosting events with this Bizzaro Luau theme, or if we should give it up and try something else in the future. Basically I want to know if we need to hold onto all the props or if we can toss them.... Either is fine with me.

If anyone has any questions or points they'd like to discuss please feel free to send me a PM. And remember:

• Upvote 1

"Tryhards", I don't even like the word. Judging somebody by their gear is pretty much judging somebody by their skin color.

Oh no you completely misunderstood me.  I am talking purely from a player mentality, not from a monetary investment. The player that I referenced was shouting at people and calling people out for perceived breaking of the rules where none existed then tried to get physical when called out for being overly aggressive over nothing. 

And I'll be completely honest, I'm not super proud of what I did at Noob Day. I let my emotions get the better of me and I left afterwards to try and remove myself from the situation. To be fair, I'd expect most people who get full auto'd by people running P*s right at the limit from 5 feet away to get mad as well.

My group had fun and were only bummed that the day seemed too short, which is a clear sign we were having a good time.

I'm left scratching my head a bit over some of the individuals complaining about being over shot as a number of them did not have death rags. On that size field, if you are "dead" five minutes, new players will undoubtedly find you and shoot at you when you are sitting behind a tree without a red rag. Seems like a no brainer. Just remember that rarely is someone motivated to try and "hurt" anyone. They are just trying to play in a way that is fun for them.

Pros:

1. Weather was spectacular

2. Great field - The best I've played on in my limited career

3. Nice objective games - veered a little silly for my tastes but that is simply a preference thing and certainly not something that would dissuade me

4. Ran with a good group of guys in the first game that worked really well together

5. Guns worked great (thanks to everyone who talked me into the Krytac)

Cons/Suggestions:

1. Maybe a few more bull horns to let peeps know when the game ends. It's a pretty big field and a few shots were squeezed off at Broken and another guy when we didn't know things had been called. That's no fun for the target of said fire I'm sure.

2. Dealt with some friendly fire - remember to see what you shoot.

3. My socks got wet about 30 minutes in and I ended up with a hellacious blister :(

4. Maybe with an event this big have a short 10 minute new player orientation of some sort, etiquette, general rules etc. 

All in all a great time. After playing for about a year, it seems like a light bulb has gone off for me this spring and my performance has improved quite a bit which is always more fun. 

I felt like the semi-auto rules were pretty well followed, and I personally saw more shitty attitudes on the death cult side than I did  the blue side, and it wasn't many.

This being said dudes, if you get fucking shwacked, standing in a doorway or the middle of a path is stupid and you're stupid if you do it.  A universal sign of 'I'm hit' is to turn your back to the enemy, taking a knee, put on a red rag, and sling your weapon.  

OR LAY DOWN AND SCREAM AND ACT LIKE YOU ACTUALLY GOT SHOT

PRO NUMBER ONE WAY NOT TO BE OVER SHOT INSTEAD OF JUST STANDING IN A DOORWAY BREATHING REALLY HARD THROUGH YOU ORAL HOLE 

Aint hating, just saying.

Cause like, if you're dead, standing in a door that I'm trying to get in, and a dude behind you is constantly shooting at me through your dead body, I'm probably going to keep shooting you till you figure out it's a really poor idea to stand in a doorway.

I played dead every time I got shot, and I never got overshot, and that was me running through smoke being dumb as hell.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all involved. I'm just pissed I didn't show up sooner than I did. And when showing up as late as I did I had no intentions of playing so I only brought eye pro with me. I had just spent something like 15+ hours in a vehicle driving back from Orlando FL so I was pretty exhausted but having attended Guffie events in the past I knew I didn't want to miss it even if I was just observing. Having walked around as much as I did I can tell you Holland was all over the place and easy to get ahold of if issues were to arise. I had a good time and I would like to see these types of events to continue.

~Joker

first time at a guffie game. had a few hit calling issues. best one guy hid behind a tree three inches wide. lit up his ass and he didnt call it and instead shot me. its allright though i imagine the welts he ended up with sucked on the ride home. overall great game and i had a blast. field is always great. look forward to coming to more