Want To Upgrade My G&g M4 Cqb Raider

Papabees

So I'm about three games in and I would like to upgrade my M4. There seem to be a number of opinions as to what to do but I thought I'd ask around here and get your thoughts.

A few caveats.

1. I want to try and do it myself as i enjoy tinkering. Because of this I am reluctant to open the gearbox until i have more experience.

2. I'm looking for precision and range. I feel like my ROF and speed are fine but there have been times I've felt outranged by other AEGs

3. I don't really care about FPS. If increasing it accomplishes the above great, but if my gun shoots 300 fps but can fire out to 200 ft (maybe unrealistic) I don't care.

I have this gun:

http://www.airrattle.com/Combat-Machine-M4-CQB-Raider-Combo-Airsoft-AEG-Gun-p/c-16p-rd-combo.htm

So I have been considering a precision barrel and metal hop up unit to start with. I have read varying opinions as to whether the barrel length matters so I'd be interested on thoughts in that regard as well as recommendation for good equipment. I don't need the Cadillac just solid.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Papabees

Yep a tight bore and a better hop up are going to be your best bet. After that, its gearbox time. A new cylinder head and piston nozzle will improve your air seal. A new spring could improve your fps and get your bb down range faster and more accurately. Gear boxes aren't as scary as they seem. You might try picking up a junk one to practice on if you are worried about screwing up you main ride.

Could someone move this to AEG Discussion?

I second the idea of buying a used/for parts gearbox to practice on. Often times people sell them just because they don't feel like opening them up to see what is inside or just have no need for it, which results in the buyer sometimes getting very high quality parts for a steal.

As for the above recommendations, I agree with them as well. However, don't buy a new barrel just yet, you can get pretty good results out of your stock one by just cleaning and polishing the inside of it. Now, this isn't true for every barrel, but at a cost of ~$10 for items needed to clean and polish (assuming you didn't get a cleaning rod with your gun and don't have paper towels and rubbing alcohol at home), its definitely worth trying before you drop $40 or more on a precision barrel. For instance, my 305mm stock barrel gets almost as much range and accuracy as my 450mm tight bore.

Let us know if you have any more questions about teching! You can never ask too many questions when doing something like this

Edited by Noxtoof

Ok, yeah this belongs in the AEG section.

First off replacing the hop-up unit wont do much, and the G&G combat machines are specifically really finicky on these. It is hit or miss if it will even mate with the gearbox shell properly let alone create a good airseal. Stock units are designed to fit the gearbox well, so unless you want a pretty looking hop-up unit, it's really nothing you need to worry about.

I assume you play outdoors? If so, first and foremost get that fps up near 400, it'll make a world of difference. An m120 will give you the best results, but you'll need to break it in as it may put the gun a bit hot for the first few thousand rounds. There are tricks to do this though. If you want to keep it cqb legal, an m110 is what you want. Again, same story with the break in. If you want quick break in, get a non-linear spring. They yield quick results, but wear out faster. If you want something that lasts longer, get a linear spring but be ready because break in takes longer.

If you want better precision, look into a barrel upgrade. Shy away from 6.01 bore, and focus on 6.03. There is only slight difference between the two, but the 6.03 is more forgiving. If you jam a 6.01, your not getting that thing un-jammed without damaging the barrel. As far as brand, you get what you pay for. If you buy a JBU or madbull, it will increase performance, but not maximize it. If you truly want it all, look at Prometheus and EDGI stainless steel barrels. Some people will praise the madbull's and JBU's all day, but its because they have never actually used a Prommy or EDGI.

Hop-up bucking and nub is the most important factor to accuracy. Period. Whether you choose to flat hop, R-hop, M-nub it, etc..., this is where your accuracy and consistency comes from. My advice, do your research on all theses before making a decision. If done improperly, nothing is gained. If done correctly, the performance gain is unmatched. This is where you want to sink your money.

Barrel length does literally nothing for accuracy like real steel. This is a common misconception. The accuracy comes from the hop-up and the bore diameter.

Fair Warning: G&G combat machines are not the most receptive guns to upgrading gearbox wise. Once you do one thing, it is a domino effect. The gearbox shells are also garbage. Although they refined the materials and designs and they kind of last now, they are still guaranteed to fail at some point. Once you upgrade the spring, I suggest looking into a new motor as well because the stock G&G motor will struggle to pull the spring. If the gearbox has low end bearings, get them out of there. I have seen more combat machines fail from bearings blowing out than any other issue.

Edited by hanback

Moved to the AEG Section

Thx. Sorry about that. Still getting used to the jargon. I thought that because it had a spring... :blink: