Cold Batteries

solaris

I plan on attending on the 17th at the Indy battleground and wondered if my NiMh batteries would be able to last in the cold or if it would be worth it to pick up a couple lipo's? I've heard that NiMH perform badly in cold weather. I was just curious if it would be worth it.

All batteries suffer from the effects of the cold but you are correct that LiPO would suffer far less compared to NiMH. NiMH cold issue can usually be surpassed by charging them the night before and using high mah rated batteries.

If i were to get some lipo's, mainly the 7.4s, i wouldn't have to upgrade internals would i? I read that with the 11.1 you had to but wasn't sure if you had to for the 7.4. Also, if you could, explain to me what difference a higher or lower mah rating would have on my gun. I'm not too sure what it means and would be nice for future reference when buying batteries.

Nope, you won't have to upgrade your internals. LiPo's are just a little more powerful, and a 7.4 LiPo is roughly similar to a 9.6 NiMH. The Mah (Milliamp Hour) basically defines how much charge the battery can hold. Think of it this way.....the Mah is your gas tank. The larger the tank, the more you're going to get out of it.

Hope this helps! :)

HobbyKing is the place to get your Lipo's and buy the PURPLE Nano tech's in 7.4. Get the biggest Mah rating (which dictates the size of the battery) that will fit in your AEG. If you cannot get a big battery, buy extras and change them out on the field. A lot of power in a small package. 

look at the C rating  a 35 or 40 C rated 7.4 lipo will be close to the same discharge as  a 11.1
I tend to go for the 20 -25 C rated 7.4 1500 or higher mAH  I wish I could stuff a 2000 mAH into my guns but I'm limited to small stick batteries for my AK style guns.

do not get a 50C rated battery those are for RC

you would also probably be safe with a 15C 11.1

HobbyKing is the place to get your Lipo's and buy the PURPLE Nano tech's in 7.4. Get the biggest Mah rating (which dictates the size of the battery) that will fit in your AEG. If you cannot get a big battery, buy extras and change them out on the field. A lot of power in a small package.

^this all the way. Hobbyking has such good prices. And if you make sure you order for the east coast warehouse it only takes a couple of days. Don't forget that if you do go lipo you need a balance lipo charger.

look at the C rating  a 35 or 40 C rated 7.4 lipo will be close to the same discharge as  a 11.1

I tend to go for the 20 -25 C rated 7.4 1500 or higher mAH  I wish I could stuff a 2000 mAH into my guns but I'm limited to small stick batteries for my AK style guns.

do not get a 50C rated battery those are for RC

you would also probably be safe with a 15C 11.1

I second all of this.  Nothing worse than frying your motor or your wiring from a high discharge battery.  Definitely pay attention to the C rating.

So my next question would be does the MaH rating matter at all? As in, would a higher rating, such as like 2000, do damage to stock internals? Or is the only thing that would limit a higher mah is form factors?

The mAh rating is the capacity, for lack of better words.

Best way to look at it is this: 1 mAh = 1 shot.

The higher the mAh, the more charge it holds.

Most if not all my 7.4's are rated around 30c discharge rate and I have had zero issues with then. They will hit almost as hard as a 9.6. A battery's amperage rating only comes in to play with high resistance. Which means, if everything is running good in your aeg you have nothing to worry about. Most AEG's come with a 20amp rated fuse to blow if something goes wrong like a locked gearbox, short in your wiring etc. 

But, I generally do not follow the rules and play it safe, I push my stuff to the maximum (aegs) 

The advice of staying with 15-20c is very solid advice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Do not put your batteries in your guns until you get to the field. If you do they may die during the car ride to the field. Keep them in your pants pocket so they stay warm.

I have also wrapped them in a sock before putting then in the gun if I have the extra room. I have even had to tape hand warmers to the battery compartment to help keep them warm. But then again I use old NiMH batteries that are more than likely over a decade old haha.

~Joker