2.)First impressions

3.)Velocity and Rate of Fire

4.)Gameplay performance

5.)Final Impressions

6.)Recommendation

1.) Retail specifications from Evike.com:

Length: 690mm-770mm, Adjustable

Inner Barrel: 290mm

Magazine Capacity: 300rd Hi-Capacity. Works with Matrix, G&G, Tokyo Marui and other compatible M4 / M16 Series Airsoft AEG Magazines

Muzzle Velocity: ~400 FPS (Measured with 0.20g BBs)

Thread Direction: 14mm Negative

Gearbox: Ver 2 Full Metal, Fully Upgradeable

Motor: Long Type

Fire Modes: Semi/Full-Auto, Safety

Battery: 9.6v Small Butterfly Type recommended (Battery not included)

Hopup: Yes, Adjustable

Manufacturer: SOCOM Gear (Licensed by Daniel Defense)

2.) First impressions:

The rifle came zip-tied and plastic wrapped in a SOCOM Gear cardboard box.

Upon first inspection I noticed that the outer barrel was VERY wobbly. This was a very easy fix, I just unscrewed the RIS, and tightened down the dual Allen screws that retain the outer barrel. Now it is rock solid.

In another review I learned that the MFR RIS is somewhat wobbly with the upper receiver. Although, with mine this was not the case, I went ahead and installed a MadBull RIS fix to bridge the RIS and Upper receiver so that there was an absolute zero chance of wobble.

Internals:

This rifle is internally OEM'd by Vega Force Company (VFC) and sold under the SOCOM Gear (owned by MadBull) name.

It features the VFC 7 mm. Self-shimming gear box.

It has the VFC clear hop-up unit which is attached to a 290 mm. MadBull Black Python 6.03 barrel out of the box.

The motor is a VFC unmarked motor. I'm not sure if it is classified as a standard torque motor, or high torque.

The wiring is from (I'm assuming) VFC. It is 18 gauge silver wiring. It is wired to the rear with a small type tamiya connector.

Externals:

The externals are 100% CNC machined aluminum with the exception of the Crane stock, and motor grip. Which gives this rifle a really nice weight, while not being heavy.

The acronym "MFR" stands for "Modular Float Rail". This is a free float RIS that allows the user to move rail pieces along the slick rail tube anywhere from the front of the receiver to the end of the handguard in any way they wish. The pieces can also be removed to run the RIS "Slick" with 1 uninterrupted top rail.

The Crane stock is easy to open (unlike many others I have had) and fits my 11.1v 1800 MAH Crane stock type LiPo battery perfectly.

The magazine is a 300 rnd, high capacity, full metal magazine. It fits VERY snug. While it is easy to pull the magazine from the magazine well, you won't be doing any one handed mag dumps with it. It seems to be of very good quality, but I prefer to use MagPul 75 rnd. P-Mags for added realism, and feeding quality.

The orange tip is glued to the 14 mm. Negative (CCW) threads. There are no set screws. It is held on securely, but I was able to get it off without too much trouble by using a pair of vise grips.

This rifle DOES NOT come with sights. The sights I have chosen to attach are APS Catapult Sights (available on Evike.com for $30).

http://m1364.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Tactical-Yeti/IMG_20130415_201316_480_zps93b8a372.jpg.html?newest=1

Pulling the charging handle releases the dust cover, which has a laser engraved American Flag and the word "Infidel" in both English and Arabic. This reveals the hop-up sitting comfortably in front of the fully functional bolt, which can be clicked forward by pressing the bolt release.

Trademarks:

The outer barrel is a Daniel Defense 10.5" barrel. It is laser engraved with "5.56x45mm NATO"

http://m1364.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Tactical-Yeti/IMG_20130415_201243_523_zpsc4747405.jpg.html?newest=1

http://m1364.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Tactical-Yeti/IMG_20130415_201305_303_zpsa8f4e0f1.jpg.html?newest=1

The Daniel Defense MFR is laser engraved on both sides showing DD trades, and product designations.

http://m1364.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Tactical-Yeti/IMG_20130415_201236_106_zps3fc6b2b2.jpg.html?newest=1

The lower receiver boasts a large laser engraved Daniel Defense Logo.

Overall this thing is covered in DD trades.

My additions:

http://m1364.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Tactical-Yeti/IMG_20130415_201211_139_zpsfe50cb5d.jpg.html?newest=1

Angel Custom 14 mm. Negative Krinkov Flash Hider.

APS Catapult Sights

MagPul 75 rnd. P-Mags in OD

Rico Tactics Alpha 9 weapon light (courtesy of Spectre)

MadBull Max RIS Fix

11.1v 20c 1800 MAH battery

Everything converted to Deans

3.) Velocity and rate of fire:

For these tests I used .20 gram Elite Force bb's, and an 11.1 volt 20c 1800 MAH Li-Po battery.

#1: 394.6

#2: 396.2

#3: 391.9

#4: 395.5

#5: 397.6

ROF: An average of 5 bursts was 22.6 BPS.

As you can see, this rifle is VERY consistent.

Surprisingly, using .25 gram King Arms bb's. I was hitting a man sized target from the seated position from not 50, not 60, but 80 yards away. Out of 10 shots on a clear, calm day I managed to land 8. This is quite impressive coming from a 290 mm Barrel.

4.) Gameplay performance:

I had the chance to field this AEG at OP: Urgent Solution 2 for it's first event. I was thoroughly impressed at the ease of which I could maneuver in and out of the thick cover in "The Jungle". It was pretty easy to get the rifle up and on target in tight spaces.

I was also tagging people from a really good distance as well. Some of the kills I had were through brush, twigs, and areas where the enemy could barely be seen.

On a scale of 1-10 for combat effectiveness in this type of game (Medium-Large scale woodland) I would give it an 8.

It is very accurate, has a very solid rate of fire, and has the punch to touch someone at over 200 ft.

The only problem I had for the day was what I thought were my P-Mags. As it turns out, it was the bbs.

PELI helped me out a ton by selling me some Javelin .25 gram bb's. Plenty of people have used Javelins with success, but this AEG will become a jam factory with Javelins.

I recommend either Elite Force .25's or King Arms Platinum Series .25's. Both of which work wonderfully in this AEG.

5.) Final impressions:

I am thoroughly impressed by this airsoft gun. From it's superb build quality, to the VFC gearbox, MadBull Tight Bore Barrel, laser engraved Daniel Defense Trademarks, and outstanding performance, this thing is a dead ringer.

My personal rating:

Accuracy: 8/10

Range: 9/10

Rate of Fire: 7/10

External Build quality: 8/10

Internal Build Quality: 9/10

Looks: 9/10

Weight and balance: 8/10

Price: 8/10

Out of 80 possible points on my personal scale, it received a score of 66. A very respectable score.

6.) Recommendation:

I would definitely recommend this AEG to anyone. At right around $300 it is very affordable. You get a top notch AEG made by VFC for a really good price. Whether you're looking to play CQB, Field, or MILSIM this rifle can do it all.

-SASQUATCH

Edited by SASQUATCH
  • Upvote 1