This is Crazy...AEPs?

Rhino

So this may seem a little crazy because I'm asking about good AEPs. That's right Automatic Electric Pistols. I'm a heavy user of the good old sidearm and I thought getting an electric pistol would give me something reliable to use in cold weather as well as something with lower fuss as the only thing that you'd have to worry about is the bbs and occasionally the battery. I've only seem AEPs fielded maybe twice to seemingly decent results so that's why I'm asking for some feedback from players who've seen it all. I've seen AEPs online that have comprable fps to gas pistols advertised but I could imagine the rate of fire being somewhat lower. But hey, that's why I'm asking, I don't know.

Questions are: What's your experience seeing/using AEPs in the field?

What are some good AEPs that are out there?

Are there possible modifications possible for AEPs like there are for other gun types?

I own and run a Tokyo Marui MP7 AEP. I bought it on a whim with my tax return because I got a good deal on ebay for it. Chrono's 245 w/ .2 BB's, shoots about ~17-18 RPS w/ a 7.4 lipo battery on a Nine Ball external battery adapter.

Ultimately, I love it. Very accurate in stock configuration- solid hop up like all TM's and gets great compression. It impressed me as far as range is concerned for being so low powered.

The biggest downfall is people not feeling when they get hit. Typically though as I've found out, you can but a 5 shot burst or so on target and that becomes pretty hard to not call (unless youre Swallow Unit).

All AEP's are designed as CQB weapons- just like their real steel counterparts. A lot of people talk crap about AEP's because they are for CQB only... Well duh. Don't expect to go out to field with a large open area (like the Strikers field in OH) and expect to outgun people with regular AEGs- it wont happen.

A couple of upgrades that you should look into if you want an AEP:

-Nine Ball/ Laylax make a variety of upgrade parts for the TM AEPs (particularly the MP7)

-On my MP7, I am running a Nine Ball exteral battery adapter. This replaces the micro 7.2v 500mah battery that the AEPs use. This is a must if you plan on seriously running the MP7 AEP. The micro batteries die quickly and are a general pain in the ass. Don't run anything higher than a 7.4 lipo (battery adapter recommends an 8.4 nicad.nimh, youll be fine with a 7.4 lipo). Using a battery thats too high in voltage will cause you to strip gears.. quickly. Look up AEP gearboxes and take a look at the interals and you'll see why.

-Also look into tightbore barrels- this will give you a slight boost in FPS and, of course, help to increase your accuracy at the same time.

-Keep extra fuses handy. Only problem I've had with my Mp7 so far is a blown fuse which happened after I switched to the 7.4 lipo. Probably caused the old fuse to blow, so I carry one with me now in case I need it.

The Mp7 really needs specific mag pouches. They fit awkwardly in SMG pouches. Luckily, they make MP7 specific mag pouches... But theyre expensive if you get real steel (Mayflower makes a pouch, LBT and Eagle make pouches too but they are hard to find since they are more or less specifically made for NSW, or you can special order them).

Luckily ebairsoft.com just released MP7 mag pouches for like $18. I actually used plastic inserts that I bought from the Toy Soldier HK shop. The fit in standard M4 mag pouches and are shaped to hold Mp7 mags with bungee retention. They've worked well for me so far. Special ordered 8 inserts for $24 shipped.

Overall, if youre serious about an AEP, get the TM Mp7. It has the most aftermarket parts out there and is a solid performer. Don't settle for anything other than TM either- the rest are garbage. You can get used yet reliable TM MP7's on ebay for around $200.

There are upgrades available just like any AEG but the are specific to AEP's and are a pain in the A$$. Everything is about 3 times smaller than an AEG so it makes things much more interesting. :lol:

Eagle.. you know you can fit small 7.4s inside the mp7 with the right modifications right?

I rock a TM MP7 with Raven (PDI) 6.01tb and small 7.4 10C 900mah lipos internally.

I have bought a ton of Nine Ball / Laylax / SHS upgrade parts for the mp7 .. but have found that typically.. leave it alone. I've cracked 2 gearbox shells trying for a harder spring.

But damn can they be quiet.

Eagle.. you know you can fit small 7.4s inside the mp7 with the right modifications right?

No I didnnt know that- I just typically use mine in conjunction with a PEQ15 box and a G&P 7.4 1500mah